VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

“Missing” Service Record

Rate this question

Jash

Question

Hi, I’m new to this forum and new to the VA system. Before I submitted a claim to the Hartford RO late last year, I submitted several requests thru NMPC, the Archives etc for a copy of my Service Record (Navy) and health record from when I was AD in the 80s. They couldn’t find them.  I wanted to use information it contained regarding an MST including the kit that was done. I went to the VA and submitted a claim; VA requested the same records - they got nothing either. I have copies of some things like old orders, my evals and other things I had kept (I don’t know why I Did ) related to when I was attacked. I submitted them to the VA to back up my claim. I went to a C&P and it appears that the examiner thought What I submitted was ok because they said I have severe PTSD and it was more likely than not related to MST.  I’m disheartened my records are missing because I know it contained absolute proof. 

Is there anyone else whose Service and Health Records are missing?  What do you do? What does the VA do? Where does this leave me?  What does this severe PTSD really mean? 

Any thoughts are appreciated    Thanks  

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

@Jash

I don't know if this offers any solace or help, but I went through a similar situation for over 20 years.

My service was from 79-89 and my conditions exist because the Gov had us doing things in places we were not allowed to be.

While on AD when I asked for help I was told to "grow a pair" and 'man up'. When I got out in 89 I went to the VA, DD-214 in hand and among other lies and excuses was told they could not find that I ever served.

Until 2012 I went to over a dozen different VA RO's and hospitals seeking help. Half the time the first response was they could not find a record of me in the service. The other half of the time they denied that the events actually occurred. DERP!

In 2012, another event happened to me, my home was destroyed by a hurricane, and in the process of trying to get help to get FEMA help I connected with a VSO who helped me.

In that process, the VA did say I was in the service, but when I requested my service records from the Archives and every other possible channel, I was told they could not find it. Finally in 2016 a package arrived via USPS that contained about 70% of my service record. I know that some of the stuff left out is what the government still denies and has under classified status. I will not live long enough to get that part of the record.

My suggestion to you is to keep trying.

If you happen to have a DD-214 or your enlistment contract, and can afford one, take them to a lawyer. Otherwise keep trying, keep submitting requests and even consider going to your Senator or Congressperson for help.

Good luck!