VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

“Missing” Service Record

Rate this question

Jash

Question

Hi, I’m new to this forum and new to the VA system. Before I submitted a claim to the Hartford RO late last year, I submitted several requests thru NMPC, the Archives etc for a copy of my Service Record (Navy) and health record from when I was AD in the 80s. They couldn’t find them.  I wanted to use information it contained regarding an MST including the kit that was done. I went to the VA and submitted a claim; VA requested the same records - they got nothing either. I have copies of some things like old orders, my evals and other things I had kept (I don’t know why I Did ) related to when I was attacked. I submitted them to the VA to back up my claim. I went to a C&P and it appears that the examiner thought What I submitted was ok because they said I have severe PTSD and it was more likely than not related to MST.  I’m disheartened my records are missing because I know it contained absolute proof. 

Is there anyone else whose Service and Health Records are missing?  What do you do? What does the VA do? Where does this leave me?  What does this severe PTSD really mean? 

Any thoughts are appreciated    Thanks  

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Fortunately, it sounds like you may not need those service records, but you should still try to get them as they may come in handy.  

I hope you gave VA a copy and kept your originals, because losing our paperwork is VA's THIRD favorite thing after delays and denials.  

You do not need to meet the burden of "absolute proof" with VA.  You are given the benefit of the doubt, a much lower and easier standard to meet.  Have you been awarded benefits yet, and are you satisfied with the decision?  

The National Archives site ( where you probably  have filed your SF 180 request)

has some info here as to other ways the records might be obtained:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/frequently-requested-records

If you applied for SSDI or SSA retirement fairly recently it is possible they might still have the records.

Thanks Broncovet and Berta.  I made a pdf of the info I had and gave a copy to the VA.  I have not yet received any awards yet; I have no idea what to expect.  By 1997 I had developed panic attacks related to when I was assaulted. I went to a VA down South and told them what happened to me. At the appointment i was warned by a VA employee never to come back about it or I would lose whatever benefits including potential ones. After that, I did not return to the VA until just recently. Interesting, I saw on a condition list Panic disorder.  I will never forget was that appointment.  

Thanks- I went to the Archive website and have previously requested from those recommend locations. No one can my records. 

Do you know of anyone else whose records are lost?

I have gotten at least 4 copies of my records, since 2006, and all are different, with stuff missing from each.   The last 2 are on DVD, and are called "the RBA" and not the cfile.     It helps "a little" when you send stuff certified mail, return receipt requested, to VA evidence intake center.  

In October, 2008, the VAOIG found at least 4 VARO's had docuents in the shredder bin that were evidence necessary to substantiate Veterans claims.  The VA "fixed" this problem by no longer doing an inspection of the shredder bin, anymore.    Shortly thereafter, I filed a request for special handling due to mishandled evidence, which was mandated by then VASEC, DR. Peake, who promised Veterans would be believed and employees punished.  Neither of these happened.  

In one incident, the VA claimed the VEterans records were lost in a major records fire, (which is called the "1973 fire).  However, the Veteran's service was from 1983 to 1989, so his records could not have been lost in the 1973 fire.  Here are the real records lost in the fire:

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/fire-1973

You can not trust VA, especially in their stories about where are your records.  

• HadIt.com Elder

What I do not understand s  if a Veteran has the records to help with his claim and makes copy's and sends them in that would be a favorable outcome on his decision  and VA Denied ..for no good reason or say something like  we need more information crap...they have enough information as it is to at least warrant a favorable decision and meet the criteria for that rating.

some of you may have read some of Victor Ray post    this is an example as what I mean.