VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Right hip service connected...but...

Rate this question

Lastingeffects

Question

So last year I was service connected for several conditions. 40% overall. When I had My C&P i had never seen a doctor for these conditions and had no current diagnosis. Here is what I was awarded:

right knee strain with shin splints and tibia fracture 10% Service Connected    

right hip strain 

0% Service Connected    

right hip strain limitation of flexion 

10% Service Connected    

right hip strain limitation of the thigh

0% Service Connected    
tinnitus 10% Service Connected    
right ear hearing loss   Not Service Connected    
left knee strain with shin splints 10% Service Connected    
left ear hearing loss 0% Service Connected    

Later I was able to see a va doctor and was diagnosed with a right hip impingement and arthritis in both knees. My question is this. Should I worry about the service connection showing a "strain"  instead of what I was later diagnosed with. A strain seems "not permanent" to me even tho I have suffered with it over 20 years.  How would you handle this?

Also just diagnosed with sleep apnea and given a cpap by the va. Still trying to decide if its worth pursuing.  

Thanks for any input.

6 answers to this question

You posted:

When I had My C&P i had never seen a doctor for these conditions and had no current diagnosis. 

This is unlikely.  Im not calling you a liar, but it does go against the Caluza elements standards for service connection which is used by pretty much everyone in VA:

All 3 elements are required for service connection:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  In service event or aggravation.

3.  Nexus.  

Its possible your c and p doc diagnosed you, and its possible yours slipped through the cracks in your favor.  But VA pretty much routinely denies any claim that falls short in one or more caluza elements that I outlined, above.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

You posted:

This is unlikely.  Im not calling you a liar, but it does go against the Caluza elements standards for service connection which is used by pretty much everyone in VA:

All 3 elements are required for service connection:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  In service event or aggravation.

3.  Nexus.  

Its possible your c and p doc diagnosed you, and its possible yours slipped through the cracks in your favor.  But VA pretty much routinely denies any claim that falls short in one or more caluza elements that I outlined, above.  

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have not seen a civilian doctor for this since leaving the service.  My  military medical records clearly show the indecent in service and the injuries sustained.  My hip and knees began to get worse over the years so I filed.  I had no current diagnosis at the time of the C&P unless the diagnosis from 17 years ago is considered current lol. Havent been to a doctor since getting out. I am just wondering if I should worry about the diagnosis of a "strain" as it seems to me a strain would heal over a few weeks months. This has been going on for years. I have never been diagnosis with a strain so it must have come from the C&P examiner. As I said before once I got into the system my va doctor gave a diagnosis of hip impingement and arthritis.

I guess my real question is, should I file for hip impingment and arthritis or let it stay as is? It looks like the % will not change either way.

4 hours ago, Lastingeffects said:

I guess my real question is, should I file for hip impingment and arthritis or let it stay as is? It looks like the % will not change either way.

To my way of thinking, when you said this - 

4 hours ago, Lastingeffects said:

My hip and knees began to get worse over the years so I filed.

I would continue to file. You never know whether your disabilities will get worse or not. 

File for secondary conditions. If you have a NON VA PCP get them to write it into your medical records and get a copy to submit when you file the claim. It would be nice if the MD you go to noted an etiology that ties the knee and hip issues to your old injuries. Its more obvious than not though but if you give them 1 chance to screw ya over, they will jump in there with both feet. Secondary conditions are not as bad, just need an MD to pipe in and tie it together to make sure it flies.

Any other secondary condition caused by knee and hip conditions can be claimed. If you have back pain just get a MD to tie that to your hip/knee condition and you can claim it.

You posted, 

As I said before once I got into the system my va doctor gave a diagnosis of hip impingement and arthritis.

I was confused, because in your earlier post, you had posted you had "never seen a doctor", and had no diagnosis.  The advice we give can not be any better than the accuracy of your posted information.  However, now that we got it straightened out you "do" have a diagnosis,  you could file on the hip impingment and arthritis, if you think these conditions are related to service.  

It does not matter, too much, whether You think they are related to service, and it does not matter if I think they are or are not related to service.  What matters is does your doctor think they are related to an event in service, or were aggravated in service.  I suggest you simply ask your doctor.  I did .  I asked my doctor if she thought my arthritits of the knee was related to a knee fracture in service.  

On 8/11/2018 at 12:50 AM, pwrslm said:

File for secondary conditions. If you have a NON VA PCP get them to write it into your medical records and get a copy to submit when you file the claim. It would be nice if the MD you go to noted an etiology that ties the knee and hip issues to your old injuries. Its more obvious than not though but if you give them 1 chance to screw ya over, they will jump in there with both feet. Secondary conditions are not as bad, just need an MD to pipe in and tie it together to make sure it flies.

Any other secondary condition caused by knee and hip conditions can be claimed. If you have back pain just get a MD to tie that to your hip/knee condition and you can claim it.

Thank you for actually answering my question without ripping into my post.  It didn't occur to me that these could be filed as secondary conditions.  again thanks!