VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will I mess up a claim if t gets double filed?

Rate this question

rk4435

Question

I know the title is confusing. 

I met with a VSO several weeks ago and she prepared a claim for me.  SHe had me digitally sign and told me she would send it forward when I sent in the medical records.  It took a couple of weeks to get the records and once I had everything ready I was unable to get a response from her.  Her office said she had been out ill. 

When I did hear back her reply was that I needed to come in to see her and complete a claim.  I was thinking she had me mixed up with someone else.

As it is, I've only had a one sentence response in four weeks and no calls have been returned. 

I'm thinking I should just submit myself through eBenefits.  If she ever gets caught up and sends the claim forward, will it mess anything up.  In all honestly I'm thinking it is not a VSO that would be beneficial anyway.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If the VA finds two requests for the same claim, they will just close the latter one out.

When I was filing a dependency claim, I mailed off the paper forms. The next week I learned that they take forever. I called the 1-800 number and they told me to file it via ebenefits. I did that and it was completed in just a couple of weeks. I then sent in a letter asking them to cancel the claim I mailed in because it was duplicate. They took care of it.

You can file an informal claim via ebenefits or the 1-800 number. Just let them know what you are claiming and you will have a year to submit evidence. However, there are some other routes like the fully developed claim program that can produce much faster results.

In the end, keep in mind that you are the only person responsible for your claim. The VSO's can help, but sometimes reality happens.

The VA can mess up EVERYTHING.  They can shred your evidence, and put their Burger King napkin in your file instead.  

I agree, however, with Vync.  You should make sure your claim is pending.  You should get a DTA letter from VA, but you can see if its pending on ebenefits.  However, ebenefits is notoriously unreliable.