VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing

Rate this question

KevinH

Question

I have a hearing rating of 80% (disability)

My first CP resulted in 0%

My 2nd test resulted in 80%

On a visit to the VA a year later for a soar throat, ear, nos and thriat Doc, asked me to take a quick informal hearing test, only the frequency part. That results seems to have mimicked the first tests  

Now he has requested a reevaluation of my hear ( not a listed as a C&P hearing) 

I have my letter stating over a year ago that my disability is 90% (100% unemployablity) is total and funal with no additional test required. (Im 69 years old) 

Question should I agree to this test or refuse it? Am I requierd to take is a it is badicly an informal test, and if any different results then my rating test eould zu then be required to take a new formal C&P hearing? 

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I could not find hearing loss rated at 80%.

It seems you have a 100%% P & T designation.

I wouldn't take the test , if you don;t have to.

Question- do you get SSDI for the hearing loss?

"My first CP resulted in 0%--- when was that and did you appeal to get the second C & P exam. and the 80%?

My 2nd test resulted in 80%" They might have committed a CUE in the first decision.

As (almost) always, I agree with Berta, but will add my 2 cents.  

IF the VA has called you in for a C and P exam, then dont miss it under any circumstances.  Its pretty much an automatic denial if you fail to show for a c and p exam, or in your case, the VA will likely initiate a proposed reduction if you were called to a c and p reduction exam.  

SAFEST BET:

Go to a private audiologist and ask for a hearing test, and keep the results.  Compare those results with exam 1, and exam 2, to see which it more closely approximates.  Many/most audiologists will not charge for a hearing test.  

After you get a private hearing test, you can look at the results and then decide whether or not to send this evidence to VA.  Its not required we send every doc exam to VA, in fact, the VA can only look at exams where we release the results to them by signing a release form.  

If your new exam approximates the 80 percent exam, or is worse, then send that new evidence to VA if you like.  If the new exam is more in line with the 0 percent, then I would not stir up a hornets nest sending that in.  

Great advice Broncovet! I dont think the doctor's entries would trigger a C & P exam but one never knows what the VA could pull.

Thanks. Insite info. No I do not get SSDI, I am retired and collecting SS b4 I filed for hearing exam. 

No I have not received an official C&P hearing request. Just in my records the auto doc listed results and stated he wanted reevaluate (set exam at 1 year from last exam) it was set for same time as my normal health exam. I canclled both and requested they reset any appointments needed for a later date. I got the now set for Feb 2019. 

I am  69 and looking at info it states if over 55 no test should be requested. My letter of disability states full and final. No further test required. 

My concern is if I go for yearly health exam they will request i see audiologist what do I do refuse it? My current rattings are 

10 tinnitus 

10 a finger loss of flex

10 a finger loss of flex

40 wrist

80 hearing loss

Total at 90  then unemployablity = 100%

My hearing bigest problem is word discrimination and well as not hearing some frequencies. When my eary ring it gets much worse wich is what i attribute to the discrepancies in tests as well as instructions by doc at the time. First CP test he said any noise you hear  ( hell i hear noises all the time) 2nd CP test he said aby noises you hear dif then ringing. That test resulted in the 80% 

The last test was only frequencies test (again he said click button on any noise i hear) and doc said just a quick check on my hearing. He has entered results in my record's with statement he would reevaluate again. 

What should I do wait for an official C&P request with the hope that VA official wont request one based on my age ( it is one reason why they do not make one) 

• HadIt.com Elder
On 8/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, KevinH said:

I have a hearing rating of 80% (disability)

My first CP resulted in 0%

My 2nd test resulted in 80%

On a visit to the VA a year later for a soar throat, ear, nos and thriat Doc, asked me to take a quick informal hearing test, only the frequency part. That results seems to have mimicked the first tests  

Now he has requested a reevaluation of my hear ( not a listed as a C&P hearing) 

I have my letter stating over a year ago that my disability is 90% (100% unemployablity) is total and funal with no additional test required. (Im 69 years old) 

Question should I agree to this test or refuse it? Am I requierd to take is a it is badicly an informal test, and if any different results then my rating test eould zu then be required to take a new formal C&P hearing? 

''Now he has requested a reevaluation of my hear ( not a listed as a C&P hearing) ''

This could be true not listed as a C&P, however even if this is not listed as a C&P Exam for rating purposes,   this will be an official medical record and will be placed in your records, R.O, Gets word and they assume your hearing has improved VIA THESE NEW TEST  they will send you a proposal to reduce.

Then you need an exam in your favor to rebut this examiner , and also the Dr needs to mention Hearing Loss does not improve over time  it actually gets worse.

Any time a Veteran takes a Private Hearing test and word discrimination test he needs to let the Dr or Audiologist know to go by rhe VA Hearing Testing Guide lines using a qualified state license Audiologist and the Maryland CNC Word Test.   Which can be found here on hadit

I do not think age (55) makes any difference when it comes to being S.C. For loss of hearing or protect the Veteran from being reduced.

I Would think 80% is darn near completely deaf  and  C&P Exam is a waist of time and $$$

Our late and beloved Member Carlie Case was  taking some medical  test at her VAMC for some of her S.C. Disabilitys (not a C&P) and she was over 55 and had chronic disability rated 100% P&T WITH NO FUTURE EXAMS SCHEDULED and some how RO got word she had these test done at her VAMC (Not a hearing loss test) but test on her S.C. Disability's)

Well after a couple weeks she got an invitation to a C&P on her S.C Disability's) she wrote the Secretary of VA office and request this exam Be canceled and gave her reasons why. they cancelled this Exam.

Carlie Post  on this is in the hadit Archives, you need to read what  and how she wrote this letter to the VA Secretary office .....> if you get a Proposal to reduce letter.

Carlie Post is an excellent example as to how to get a C&P Exam cancelled. 

Edited by Buck52

The doctor you spoke with is unlikely an audiologist, and may not understand how VA rates hearing loss.  If you study the hearing loss rating table, like I have, you need to understand that SPEECH DISCRIMINATION is actually more important to your VA rating than is your decibel loss.  

There is actually a good reason for this, once you understand what speech discrimination really is.  

When someone says the word "spoon" our brain coverts this into an image of a common eating utensil.  If one spoke the word spoon in a language we did not understand, say Chinese, our brain might "hear" the word, but be unable to bridge the gap to the common eating utensil, and not understand.  

As we age, and especially with hearing loss, the brain tires of trying to convert letters into images, that is, a spoon into something we understand and know well.  This is called speech discrimination, and it measures how much our brain is failing at converting the words we hear into something meaningful.  I could say spoon in Chinese several times, and you would not likely understand what I am talking about.  In a similar way, people with low speech discrimation lose their ability to convert words they hear into something meaningful.  

Your doctor may/may not know about speech discrimination scores and their affect on people with hearing loss.  Likely he does not know, unless he has been trained in audiology.  

Bottom line:  Dont worry about a possible reduction.  Do, however, consider a private hearing test, as buck says, with speech discrimination, if you want to eliminate doubt.  Its unlikely your hearing has improved, its more likely your doc does not understand audiology and or the hearing loss schedule of ratings.  

I have had exactly "ONE" doctor out of about 40 or so VA docs who really understood how hearing loss affects your life.  The other 39 had no clue.  This doctor is legally blind, and has actually done research on "sensory deprivation".  

Science now knows that (but VA does not like to admit) how sensory deprivation causes depression.  Its easy to see, because we have put many prisoners in the "cooler"..where there is no one else in the cell, sometimes very little light, and almost no sounds.  It drives humans crazy fairly quickly to be deprived on sensory stimulation.  The inabilty to hear, also, drives us crazy and causes us to be depressed.  I see this, now that my doctor explained it to me.  I also know ( a little) how to prevent my hearing loss from driving me even crazier.  There ARE things you can do.