VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claimed Denied

Rate this question

Last of a dying breed

Question

I have been denied several of my claims sleep apnea,severeanxiety,depression,kerotoncontis.These diagnosises were given by the V.A.,I served as a combat Infantry air assault soldier for six years 1998 - 2005,I have never been deployed.Unfortunately, When my unit came down on orders to deploy to Afghanistan is recieved orders to go Korea.Which made feel like a coward.I'm dealing with this issue with my MH team which I don't trust due to them working for the VA .I have serious trust issues and very hypervengalent.So I'm reaching out for guidance to group of my peers who I feel that I can trust and can relate.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

23 hours ago, asknod said:

Can anyone enlighten me as to how or why you would get MDD over a non-combat assignment to Korea? What am I missing? Surely, if this reaction is prevalent, there must be some of you here on this board who can explain it to us. VA is going to be asking some rather pointed questions as well. 

Non combat OEF/OIF Vet checking in. I was in the 82nd. I have been out for 2 years, and I still feel embarrassed (I know I shouldn't). Deployment is seen as a rite of passage (at least in my unit). 

A vet shares his story on the subject here: https://taskandpurpose.com/how-i-let-go-of-the-embarrassment-i-felt-for-having-never-served-in-combat/

Edited by Fearless

"When I came to from Korea, I was attached to the rear d.there I was in charge of those soldiers coming back from the combat zone so which I trained before deploying.Seeing my peers and fellow soldiers come back traumatized to pointbof not knowing their names,injured and some died made me feel some kinda of way.I even attended to of my best friends funeral who was killed in combat.This is when I felt like a coward and started to drink in order suppress my anger and second guessing my loyality to my brothers I arms."

man...this sounds almost exactly like me.  Army Infantry on the same base for 7 years.  My unit got deployed to Iraq and I stayed rear D because of disibilities I was later medically discharged for.  Honestly I never felt like a coward or anything.  I had just been deployed to Egypt for 7 months and frankly I was more than happy to stay home with my family lol.  They put me as the acting platoon Sgt of roughly 30 guys who stayed back on rear D.  Extremely easy gig.

but...yup...our buddies who had been killed..their names started popping up and one by one injured people started coming back. Shot 8 times and lived.....shot in the head and lived.  My friends before they left...but man..seeing them like that is hard.  Especially when your the ncoic and they need your help for out processing and the 100 things that come along with it.  

But....I was fine. Didn't feel like a coward and too me it's all just a mix of life and luck.  So and so got blown up..so and so is in rear D.  Just life and luck that I have no direct control over.

until.........

They told me Sgt Nxxxxxx had been shot in the head and died.  He was a good buddy of mine.  I wan the transportation section and he ran the ammunition section.  We worked side by side in support platoon for a few years...

here's the thing....When I wasn't medically cleared to go to Iraq, they put Sgt Nxxxxx in my position is battalion transportation nco.  Everything we do we stage our vehicles in a very precise order, not based by name...but by position.

Basically if I hadn't got a P3 profile then I would have been sitting in that humvvee and shot in the head instead of Nxxxxxx.  At his funeral I saw people pointing at me. Even his wife gave me the coldest eye contact.

I will never use his death for personal gain regardless of how I feel.  I'm lucky and he's gone.  Why should I try and get money for that????

hell focking no.............Im with Asknod.....Just no....

I do have a claim in for depression secondary to my hearing loss though.