VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

RAMP questions

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I will start, with some general information about RAMP.  

You may, or may not get a letter from VA asking you to opt in to RAMP.  You can still opt in anyway, by completing this form:

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/docs/appeals-RAMP-Opt-in-form.pdf and sending it to the address on the form.    Currently, you have to make a choice:

1.  Higher level review.  Use this option if you dont have new evidence, but think the decision maker erred on your claim. 

2.  Supplemental claim lane.  Use this option  if you have new "relevant" evidence.  

I personally opted into RAMP about a week ago, after procrastinating a while.  Why did I do this:

My claim was from 2015.  I checked on vets.gov and there are more than 148,000 Claims ahead of me AFTER waiting 3 years.  And, my claim has "not" been certified to the Board, so that is another 773 MORE days, according to the BVA chairmans report, here:

For 2017: https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp

This means if I stay in legacy appeals (and dont opt into RAMP), that I estimate it will take 5 or six MORE YEARS.  Waiting "another" 5 years is unacceptable to me in any circumstances.  

So, I opted into ramp against the advice of my attorney.  Why?  Because I have a reasonable chance of getting my appeal done in 125 days, that the VA promises.  The attorneys always say, "there are too many unknowns in RAMP".  Well there are at least 5 unknowns in legacy appeals:  2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.   I would rather get denied in 2018 (so I can appeal ) than to wait until 2023, or later, and still maybe not get my benefits and still have to appeal.  

Edited by broncovet

Great points....exactly why I opt in RAMP as my claims go back to 2015 and have not even been certified by the Legacy Board.   None of us are getting any younger so RAMP was an alternate worth the risk of being in a pilot program.

Edited by Wayne TX

This shows me that RAMP was definately needed.  They did to you what they did to me:

The VARO "sits" on your appeal for 3 years and they dont even certify it to the BVA for 3 years.  

Whoever decides (to sit on your claim before certifying it) should wait 3 years on their VA employee check.  They might sing a different song if it happened to them.  

• HadIt.com Elder

On RAMP

I sure hope that RAMP is a good deal as for as getting to claims faster than the traditional method  

I just find it hard to believe they can get to most claims within 125 days and the Veteran have a fair and Honest Adjudication to his claim,/claims

In my opinion RAMP has yet to be proven it can get to claims and a correct decision made within 125 days.

Hi Buck2,

Unfortunately, I was denied I chose the higher level review and the DRO missed several things in my record that were clear evidence to grant my claim. 2 weeks later after the denial a Rep called me and said they took a look at my claim and that the DRO should have granted my claim...but nothing I can do now but appeal to the BVA...So for me it was a quick denial..I'm not trying to discourage you but I think they are trying to meet a goal of completed our claims within 125 days and they are not taking the time to go through the records properly before denying the claims.

I hope you have a more thorough DRO

GOOD LUCK!

Unique11128

• HadIt.com Elder

Unique11128

I am not in a claim right now,  just thinking about an claim audit for the wrong retro back in 2002/2003 Back when I was fighting with them (VA).  but thanks for the heads up about not taking the time to read all the evidence of record...that usually sits up the big old needless denial and causes the Veteran to age sooner than he/she should. PRO LONGING THE CLAIM AND HAVING TO KEEP APPEALS  ON GOING.  (jmo)

Unfortunately.  in the RAMP program choosing a higher lever of Review  any new and material evidence to  your claim  you can't submit any new evidence in the Higher lever Review Lane.

you maybe should have choose the ''Supplemental claim lane.''

but if the evidence was there for your DRO to read and he/she failed to read it  ...you may ask your VSO if the DRO Can make an amends to your claim or if there's some way he can go back and change his decision? but I think if its final decision then you need to properly Appeal it.

You should have been Advised that by your VSO.or ask him what your rights are with this type problem.at present the only thing I can suggest is Appeal the DRO Mistake. (Unfortunately)

Edited by Buck52

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use