• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• fundraising.jpegGive a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
llburk

Can you file a new information claim one file?

Question

I filed an agent orange cad claim by e-file using the option of a fully completed claim on March 5th.

I received a 10 per cent disability decision this week. My mistake was I didn’t have my private physician Fill out a DBQ and complete the interview based METS section.

My question is can I file another 21-526 EZ adding the new information for my approved 10 per cent by e-file? The approved 10 per cent is based upon medication only. 

I don’t want to appeal an approved claim and need to know how to correctly update that claim with new information .

4 answers to this question

Not sure but it sounds like you think the 10% was low-balling your condition. They did that to me, you are not alone.

You can call Peggy (the VA customer service #-800-827-1000) and get them to submit a request for reconsideration. Your 10% is yours, they wont take that back, but reconsideration opens the claim again and then you can upload a statement into the EB site to show that you should be rated higher. Write a letter showing the mistakes made in the C&P exam and document where your medical records show that your condition is worse than what the examiner said.  If you want to add more medical evidence then use RAMP.

This is a very common problem with VA C&P exams. This info was already in the case file at the VA when they made  my decision, it was the rating official that failed to account for facts contained in my case file when he rendered the decision.

The new RAMP appeals are designed to let them catch these errors before they get to the BVA level. If you appeal for a higher rating, you will not lose the SC that was already awarded, so you cant lose that unless they find significant mistakes or fraud. You would have to get notice of an intent to decrease which you could also fight and appeal if you lose. At one point, the VA ratings held a 74% error rate, which means that 3 out of 4 claims had errors in the decision rendered at the RO (according to the American Legion).

Yes, you can file to reopen due to new and material evidence, 38 cfr 3.156.  There is a regulation for just that.  

You posted, 

don’t want to appeal an approved claim and need to know how to correctly update that claim with new information .

I dont think you understand that you can appeal either SC, disability percentage, or effective date.  You would be appealing the disability percentage, by reopening new and material evidence 3.156.  

I think maybe you are worried that, if you appeal, the VA can take away what you have.  The VA and the VSO's LOOOVE it whn you think that way.  They want you to be "afraid" of filing for an increase out of fear of a reduction instead.  Remeber this acronym:

F alse

E xpectations

A ppearing 

Real

This is what fear is, precisely.  The VA can reduce you, yes, if you imporve.  And, they can take away benefits if you are a fraud.  But they are not gonna take away your benefits because you forgot to send in another doc report that documents additional symptoms.  

They can try to take your benefits.  In an SOC it was noted that my case needed further review for reduction.  When I requested my case go to the BVA they suddenly forgot about the further review.

Do not let the VA strongarm you.  You can always request higher level review.

Edited by vetquest

I agree with Vetquest & broncovet  good info.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GeekySquid
      So, as some know I have been having a little war with the VA and my VSO, the American Legion, about getting my DBQ's.
      So today I went to the VSO's office in the VARO building during their "walk in" hours since I could not get them to give me an appointment.
      On the door was as sign saying the office was closed for the week for training and left the 800 number for Washington DC office.
      I knock on the door anyway. Two ladies answer.
      Tell them what I want and that I need them to do it today.
      They invite me into the office.
      I hand them a typed sheet with the Dates and Dr's of my C&P's and a list of documents for each one that I need.
      The first lady says she doesn't know why I am there. The second lady says she will help me. The first lady says show me how we do this.
      Okay
      I tell them again what I want and the 2nd lady says why do you want to file a NOD, I tell her. She says you don't need these files to file an appeal.......The VA already has them. I tell her I need to know exactly what the DBQ says and what the letters to and from VA says. I also need the code sheets as they existed at each point for each approved and denied C&P.
      She tells me no i don't and if I insist on filing a NOD I should just file an HLR.. I told her no, that would not work for this and the HLR results are not typically veteran friendly.
      She then spends 20 minutes more telling me that I need to listen to her because veterans don't know what they want and don't know anything about the VA and how to win their claim.
      She then says "We work for the VA not for you, and the VA knows what it is doing".
      this of course makes me mad and I say to her " I am asking you to get me these files. nothing more. I have heard your opinion and all you need to do is get me copies of these files." She then starts in again trying to convince me not to file.
      I get more insistent and tell her that i heard her but I expect her to do exactly as I requested, nothing more.
      She then says "Well you don't need those files so let me file the NOD" I tell her NO. Resoundingly empathically NO>
      She then tells me I know how to file a NOD. She then remembers I am filing a CUE and says "you shouldn't file a CUE because you will never win and then the VA will be mad at you"......
      Just f'ing wow.
      Then I tell her once again to do what I asked her to do and to stop trying to dissuade me from what I want. I tell her she is wasting her time and mine and that all I want is her to get those documents.
      She then yells to the other woman to get "Bill".  Man comes in and says "those are VA files you don't get to have them".
      I tell him he is wrong and ask who he is. He refuses to answer. I look at woman 2 and say Please tell me your full name so I have a record. She wants to know why. I tell her point blank, that the next time I speak to AL in DC I am going to reference her and what she has said and not done. I then look at "Bill" and ask his name. He tells me 'you don't need to know that". I tell him I do because saying "Bill from AL means nothing to anyone". He snaps back 'I don't work for AL I work for VFW".
      I ask him why he is sticking his nose into an AL situation? He gets mad and leaves.
      She writes down her name, at least I think it is her name, date and time .
      Then says all she is going to do is fill out a FOIA.  At this point I decide to let her do that and get a copy to submit with my complaint to the AL.
       She then asks me what I want. Types that I want my C-file and the files on the attached sheet, prints it, shoves it at me and says to Sign it. I tell her no it is not accurate and ask for a pen and write explicitly what  I want.
      She literally tries to argue with me.
      I tell her to stop arguing and write the FOIA the way I tell her.
      She writes it wrong in her own phrasing and i made her redo it.
      Then I made her add Time is of the essence on the form.
      When she handed it to me. I initialed before and after the typing and drew a line threw the blank space.
      She gasped and asked why I did that. I said "its blank space and anyone could add words to that blank space. She then started to say, and got half way through saying
      'I needed to put more stuff...." and then shut up as she realized she was admitting to falsifying a FOIA over my signature.

I am not sure which is worse, having the people with my POA try and screw me over or having the VA which is supposed to be on my side try and Screw me over.

• By Point_break
      I'm trying to make it easy for my doctor to help me with my VA claim. I'm filling out my DBQ for Migraines and I'm stuck on Section V 5B. I don't understand the section. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you 
    • By Point_break
      I'm trying to make it easy for my doctor to help me with my VA claim. I'm filling out my DBQ for Migraines and I'm stuck on Section V 5B. I don't understand the section. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you 
    • By tylerb333
      PTSD) Disability Benefits Questionnaire Name of patient/Veteran: Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination Request? [X] Yes [ ] No SECTION I: ---------- 1. Diagnostic Summary --------------------- Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with PTSD? [X] Yes [ ] No ICD Code: F43.10 2. Current Diagnoses -------------------- a. Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Antisocial personality disorder ICD Code: F60.2 Mental Disorder Diagnosis #2: Opioid use disorder ICD Code: F11.20 Mental Disorder Diagnosis #3: PTSD ICD Code: F43.10 b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI): Deferred to medical 3. Differentiation of symptoms ------------------------------ a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed? [X] Yes [ ] No b. Is it possible to differentiate what symptom(s) is/are attributable to each diagnosis? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not applicable (N/A) If yes, list which symptoms are attributable to each diagnosis and discuss whether there is any clinical association between these diagnoses: Antisocial personality disorder is responsible for contentious interpersonal relationships including threats, aggression, assault; failure to accept responsibility; violation of social norms and law; impulsive decisions and behaviors; and affective instability. In the symptom list below antisocial personality disorder is responsible for impaired judgment, disturbance of motivation and mood, difficulty establishing and maintaining effective social/work relationships, difficulty adapting to stressful circumstances, and impaired impulse control. Opioid use disorder has been in institutional remission June 2018, and is not at this time contributing to the symptom picture. Substance use is well known to have deleterious effects on mood, cognition, and behavior. When active, however, these symptoms likely take a predominant role. PTSD is responsible for the remaining symptoms below, which include depressed mood, chronic sleep impairment, and flat affect. c. Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI)? [ ] Yes [X] No [ ] Not shown in records reviewed 4. Occupational and social impairment ------------------------------------- a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one) [X] Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation b. For the indicated occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate which impairment is caused by each mental disorder? [X] Yes [ ] No [ ] Not Applicable (N/A) If yes, list which occupational and social impairment is attributable to each diagnosis: As noted above regarding symptoms, Antisocial personality disorder is primary and PTSD is secondary. c. If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate which occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by the TBI? [ ] Yes [ ] No [X] Not Applicable (N/A) SECTION II: ----------- Clinical Findings: ------------------ 1. Evidence Review ------------------ Evidence reviewed (check all that apply): [X] VA e-folder [X] CPRS 2. Recent History (since prior exam) ------------------------------------ a. Relevant social/marital/family history: The veteran last completed a PTSD review DBQ 06/20/17, and he reported that since that exam he has moved from Columbus to Marysville. The veteran currently is in residential programming at Chillicothe VA, hoping for placement in the DOM. The veteran denied his family situation since last exam. Socially, the veteran said he is getting along well with other residents here. His girlfriend and mother visited him here. He said he is made some acquaintances in the programming as well as a couple friends. b. Relevant occupational and educational history: The veteran denied changes in education since last exam. He has completed a GED and some college, and has a license to work with fuel and chemicals for shipping. The veteran denied employment since May 2017. He worked in landscaping prior and occasionally for his mother after that. His mother's business is sales of retail and bank machines. He said his mother arranged his hours to suit him. c. Relevant mental health history, to include prescribed medications and family mental health: The veteran denied pre-military and military mental health treatment. Specifically, he denied a history of hospitalization, suicide attempt, outpatient therapy, and prescription of psychotropic medications prior to about 2001. CPRS and VBMS were reviewed with the following relevant mental health entries. 06/20/17: PTSD review DBQ. MSE: Mood and affect depressed, otherwise normal. Examiner opined significant impairment. 06/14/18: Medical certificate. The veteran requested admission due to depression, suicidal ideation, overdose attempt on Seroquel and alcohol last evening, and hearing voices telling him to kill himself every day. UDS was positive for oxycodone, Suboxone, and cannabinoids. DX: Cocaine dependence; alcohol abuse; cannabis dependence; opioid dependence; PTSD. 06/19/18: Medical certificate. Veteran seen for change in programming. MSE: Normal except for dysphoric affect. d. Relevant legal and behavioral histor y: The veteran denied arrest since last exam, however, he has 3 years and 3 months left on parole. As a juvenile, the veteran was arrested for trespassing, DUI, domestic dispute. He denied being remanded to juvenile detention. During military, the veteran was arrested for underage consumption. He also received NJPs for being late to work (up to 10 hours), possession of pornography, disrespect to a commanding officer, and drinking while on duty. After service, the veteran has been arrested for domestic violence 2, aggravated robbery 3, and theft. He served 10 years in ODRC. While in prison, the veteran reported that he ran the inmate "store" providing drugs, contraband items, and running gambling schemes. He received over 50 tickets for institutional rules violations while in prison. He was released in September 2016. e. Relevant substance abuse history: The veteran reported that historically he has rarely used alcohol, perhaps 1-2 times per month and none since June 2018. The veteran denied use of illicit drugs since June 2018. In the period immediately prior he primarily used narcotics and heroin. f. Other, if any: Nothing further. 3. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria --------------------------- Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. The diagnostic criteria for PTSD, are from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition (DSM-5). The stressful event can be due to combat, personal trauma, other life threatening situations (non- combat related stressors). Do NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not attributable to the Criterion A stressor/PTSD. Instead, overlapping symptoms clearly attributable to other things should be noted under #6 - "Other symptoms". Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious injury, c) sexual violence, in one or more of the following ways: [X] Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s) Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred: [X] Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s). [X] Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event(s). Criterion C: Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic events(s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following: [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s). Criterion D: Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., "I am bad,: "No one can be trusted,: "The world is completely dangerous,: "My whole nervous system is permanently ruined"). [X] Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities. Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following: [X] Hypervigilance. [X] Exaggerated startle response. [X] Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep). Criterion F: [X] The duration of the symptoms described above in Criteria B, C, and D are more than 1 month. Criterion G: [X] The PTSD symptoms described above cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. Criterion H: [X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition. 4. Symptoms ----------- For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses: [X] Depressed mood [X] Chronic sleep impairment [X] Flattened affect [X] Impaired judgment [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a worklike setting [X] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence 5. Behavioral observations -------------------------- The veteran presented as guarded. We were able to establish adequate rapport through time. He initiated conversation and elaborated on topics, often to highlight the frequency and severity of symptoms. He was easily re-directed, however. He was cooperative in that he answered all questions asked. The veteran's mood was neutral and stable. His affect was mildly flat and mildly irritable, with limited mobility in range and intensity. The veteran seldom smiled and laughed, and seldom responded to humor. He was not tearful. There was no hopelessness and helplessness evident in his comments. There was no objective evidence of facial flushing, vigilance, arousal, tremor, perspiration, or muscle tension. Speech, thought processes, orientation, attention, and memory all were within expectations. Psychomotor was remarkable for bouncing a leg. Given vocabulary, and educational, employment, and military history, I estimate his IQ in the average range. The veteran denied recent changes in sleep, noting he experiences nightmares about 70% of the time. He appeared alert and rested and did not report functional loss due to sleep problems. He said his appetite is unchanged with some weight increase with abstinence from drugs. Thought content was negative for objective signs of psychosis and the veteran denied same. He also denied suicidal and homicidal ideation, but added "They call it passive SI. I'm getting better at telling people about it." Given several opportunities, the veteran reported current symptoms of: Nightmares; not liking to think about the military event; staying away from crowds; inability to interact with people; increased stress with work; blaming himself for the event happening; being aware of his surroundings; isolating from others; not sleeping well; drug use. The veteran reported abilities indicating that he retains considerable cognitive capacity (physical capacity is not assessed here). When home, he enjoys gardening, growing roses, and mowing his sisters grass. He told that he can drive independently. The veteran said he can perform personal care independently. The veteran told that he can use a calendar, clock, calculator, telephone, and computer. He reported that he can manage money, appointments, and medications, as well as shop and pay bills. For enjoyment he watches TV on his laptop, works out, watches OSU football, and does some light reading. He had good social skills on exam. Socially, the veteran said he is getting along well with other residents here. His girlfriend and mother visited him here. He said he is made some acquaintances in the programming as well as a couple friends. 6. Other symptoms ----------------- Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other mental disorders) that are not listed above? [ ] Yes [X] No 7. Competency ------------- Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] No 8. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any: --------------------------------------------------- ****This forensic report is a legal document intended for the sole use of VBA in determining the veteran's eligibility for compensation and pension. This examination is very different from other psychological examinations, such as for treatment, with considerably different criteria and, thus, often with considerably different diagnoses and outcomes. As such, great caution is needed in interpreting this information and use of this report outside its intended purpose by VHA personnel, VSO, and/or the veteran is STRONGLY discouraged. This examination does not constitute a rating decision. Rating decisions are made solely by the Regional Office after all available data have been reviewed and verified. Note that "The examiner should not express an opinion regarding the merits of any claim or the percentage evaluation that should be assigned for a disability. Determination of service connection and disability ratings for VA benefits is exclusively a function of VBA" (VHA Directive 1046). Thus, any questions or concerns regarding rating decisions should be directed to the Regional Office or an Appeals Board.**** The veteran was seen today for this PTSD Review exam. I verbally provided the usual informed consent regarding: this being a VBA assessment, not treatment; the report becomes a legal document; the forensic role of VBA; the potential outcomes of a review exam; and limits to confidentiality. A written copy of Informed Consent was offered. Throughout the interview the veteran inserted nearly every symptom of PTSD listed in the DSM 5. He noted often that these symptoms are severe and prevent him from interacting with people and working with others. This was not particularly consistent with mental status and functional data. Some patterns of thought developed throughout the interview, such as when the veteran noted that when people try to enforce rules or consequences for his behavior he makes threats and blames them for causing him to use substances. He noted that all his criminal behavior and drug use is due to the military assault, even though he also reported that alcohol and drug use began at an early age, as did arrest. For example, the veteran said that the traumatic event in service caused and or heightened his drug use in response, but he also commented that "I figured out when I was younger that using drugs and alcohol makes problems like that go away." The veteran noted that he was found to have steroids in his jacket while at Bay Pines. He subsequently was discharged from the program. He then interpreted that as "people make me fail. That (being discharged from Bay Pines) put me in a bad place and made me attempt suicide. They deny my individual unemployability because they say I'll get better with treatment, then the treatment kicks me out and I'm worse now." This behavior and thinking is quite consistent with personality disorder. The veteran was diagnosed with PTSD in prior C&P exams, the diagnosis has been carried forward by treatment providers, and by his report continues with sufficient symptoms for the diagnosis. Thus the diagnosis of PTSD continues, as likely as not due to events in military service. Antisocial personality disorder was present well before military service, so it is less likely as not caused by military events, and there is no evidence that this disorder was exaggerated by military events. Also, alcohol and illicit drug use clearly was present prior to enrollment in military, so it is less likely as not caused by military service. There is no evidence that the veteran's substance use was due to events in military service nor has it progressed beyond the normal course for this disorder. Put another way, even if the military event had not occurred it is likely that the resulting pattern of substance use would have been present. Moreover, while there is some equivalence in the literature about the direction of causality when both mental disorder and substance use are present, DSM 5 does not acknowledge any substance use disorder as "due to mental illness," yet there are numerous "substance-induced" mental disorders. INDIVIDUAL UNEMPLOYABILITY The veteran retains considerable residual mental function (physical limitations, if any, are not assessed nor considered here). The veteran can perform personal care independently. He has a driver's license and drives independently. The veteran can use a calendar, clock, calculator, telephone, and computer. He can manage money, appointments, and medications, as well as pay bills. There is no mental disorder that prevents him from attending to, learning, and persisting to complete simple and complex tasks. There is no cognitive dysfunction that would prevent same. His performance on mental status in attention, concentration, memory, abstraction, and thought processes were within expectations for age. The veteran reported limited socialization. Yet, he dated, married, and maintains a current relationship (after divorcing). He maintains some contact with family. Moreover, the veteran was a quite bright, capable, pleasant, cooperative gentleman on exam, and his social skills here were excellent. He reported isolating at home, not liking to be around people, and having difficult relationships through time. The veteran is not a member of any clubs/organizations. Indeed, personality disorder is predictive of contentious interpersonal relationships and the affective instability and impulsive decisionmaking/behavior of the personality disorder may interfere with motivation and concentration.
    • By Togore101
      Hello everyone I am new to the site. And I recent submit a the dbq for an increase for my PTSD and I trying to understand it but im just not getting it. So I figured would ask you all. Below is what the examiner put in the record.

Review Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
      Disability Benefits Questionnaire
      Name of patient/Veteran: =========
      Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P
      Examination
      Request?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      SECTION I:
      ----------
      1. Diagnostic Summary
      ---------------------
      Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with PTSD?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      ICD Code: F43.1
      2. Current Diagnoses
      --------------------
      a. Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: PTSD
      ICD Code: F43.1
      b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the
      Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI):
      No response provided.
      3. Differentiation of symptoms
      ------------------------------
      a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?
      [ ] Yes [X] No
      c. Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI)?
      [ ] Yes [ ] No [X] Not shown in records reviewed
      4. Occupational and social impairment
      -------------------------------------
      a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of
      occupational
      and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only
      one)
      [X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and
      productivity
      b. For the indicated level of occupational and social impairment, is it
      possible to differentiate what portion of the occupational and social
      impairment indicated above is caused by each mental disorder?
      [ ] Yes [ ] No [X] No other mental disorder has been diagnosed
      c. If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate what
      portion
      of the occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by
      the
      TBI?
      [ ] Yes [ ] No [X] No diagnosis of TBI
      SECTION II:
      -----------
      Clinical Findings:
      ------------------
      1. Evidence Review
      ------------------
      Evidence reviewed (check all that apply):
      [X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA)
      [X] CPRS
      Evidence Comments:
      MENTAL HEALTH OUTPATIENT FOLLOW UP NOTE [excerpts]
      DATE OF NOTE: MAR 05, 2018
      AUTHOR: ========,NP NURSE PRACTITIONER
      CHIEF COMPLAINT: "same old same old"
      INTERVAL HISTORY:
      Veteran is here for 6 week follow up for PTSD, Alcohol Use Disorder,
      unspecified, episodic. At last appointment, low dose venlafaxine was
      added, aripiprazole, prazosin, and melatonin were continued.
      He reports symptoms are about the same. His wife is pregnant with twins,
      so he is trying to minimize arguments at home. He worries he will not be
      able to connect with the babies, because he struggled so much with his
      daughter and points to her persistence as the reason they are close now.
      He see no change in sleep, remains irritable, and more hypervigilant due
      To recent car break ins on his street. He has cut down on drinking, and
      denies any binges since last appointment. He continues to have fleeting
      SI, but denies intent. He often has thoughts of hurting others, but
      strongly denies acting on the thoughts. No recent hallucinations. He
      does talk to himself when he is trying to work something out, but denies
      hearing voices other than his own. It can be embarrassing as coworkers and wife
      have caught him.
      ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT PLAN GOALS:
      DSM 5 Diagnostic Impression
      PTSD
      Alcohol Use Disorder, Unspecified, episodic
      Goals:
      1. Decrease irritability and anger- does not interfere with home or work
      life more than one time per month, ongoing, improving
      2. Improve feeling of connection with others- enjoying and developing
      relationships, ongoing, no change
      3. Decrease avoidance of social situations/crowds- can tolerate Wal Mart,
      enjoy outings with family, ongoing, no change
      4. Improve sleep- no difficulty falling asleep, sleep 6 to 8 hours
      nightly, ongoing, worsening
      PLAN AND PROGRESS TOWARDS TREATMENT PLAN GOALS:
      reviewed records and discussed options
      - increasing venlafaxine to 75 mg
      - continuing aripiprazole, prazosin, and melatonin
      - suggested individual supportive counseling at the Vet Center after Dr.
      Bhatia leaves.
      - monitoring labs at next appointment
      - Will continue to follow closely. RTC 6 weeks/PRN
      2. Recent History (since prior exam)
      ------------------------------------
      a. Relevant Social/Marital/Family history:
      Last C&P PTSD DBQ May 2016
      Lives in Moncks Corner, SC with wife of 9 years and daughter age 4.
      Daily routine: Lay down for bed 2100. Will fall asleep 2300. Wake
      frequently. "I have to do certain things to calm down. I need my
      gun next to me. I have to check the house make sure its locked. Make sure
      the alarm is on. If I hear something, it wakes me right up and I have
      to check it out." +Nightmares, night sweats. "Sometimes
      I'm swinging and yelling and talking in my sleep, so my wife leaves for a different
      room. I wake up and she's not there and it freaks me out."
      Prescribed
      melatonin for sleep, prazosin for nightmares. Abilify for PTSD.
      Diagnosed sleep apnea by sleep study in 2013, prescribed CPAP and is
      compliant.
      Relationship with wife: "We almost got divorced a few times. She
      didn't understand what was going on. She started reading up on it. The whole
      reason I went to mental health was because of her."
      Relationship with daughter: "She is scared of me. She has seen me
      Snap a few times. She is on guard. She doesn't know if I'm going
      to be up or down. She is my heart. She is the only thing that makes me feel
      normal." Will watch cartoons and read books together.
      Hobbies: play basketball, go to gym "but now I just sit in the
      House watch TV or just in the room." Likes anime.
      Support: father "he's been with me through everything."
      And is Veteran
      too, wife "but there is a wall there where I don't open
      up."
      b. Relevant Occupational and Educational history:
      Working for passport services for 3 years. "Its rough at times.
      There's a lot of people in there. They had to move my seat because I'm
      too jumpy. They moved it so I'm not around a lot of people. It is hard
      to focus. I have to use sticky notes. They have been pretty supportive.
      I've had good supervisors." Was counselled about days missing
      for work; "I had a blow up at my co-workers so they spoke to me about
      that." Miss 2-3 days per month. "When I get to work, I drive around the
      Building and if I see something I don't like, I just go home."
      Military history: E4, MP, Separated 2014, Honorable, Served about 6
      years.
      c. Relevant Mental Health history, to include prescribed medications and
      family mental health:
      Mental health treatment with prescriber and therapist. No history of
      hospitalizations. Was in group therapy "but I didn't like it."
      d. Relevant Legal and Behavioral history:
      "When I was in Japan I got us into trouble because of my alcohol
      abuse. I got into a car accident and hit 3 cars." Was sent to ADAP for
      anger and PTSD. A month ago got into a physical altercation with sister's
      boyfriend "I laid hands on him. So then I went to a hotel room and stayed there and
      then I went on a drink binge."
      e. Relevant Substance abuse history:
      Alcohol - "I abused it really bad. My PCM said it was affecting
      My liver." Was drinking4-5 25 oz beers, drink a bottle of liquor over
      The weekend. Now will drink 1-2 beers.
      Tobacco - 2-3/day
      Denies other substances.
      f. Other, if any:
      Current reported symptoms:
      Anger: "I black out and become very violent. I knock TVs off
      walls. My wife was ready to leave me."
      Triggers: "foggy day and rain." "Ignorant and stupid
      people."
      Social avoidance.
      "If a car is behind me too long, I start to think he is following
      me. There is a particular truck that I know and he gets too close to me. I
      got sick of it and one day I followed him home. I didn't do
      anything, but I blacked out mad. I knew I needed help."
      Flashbacks - "I was shopping with my wife, and this guy had a
      turban on his head and I thought I was back there. Its constant, its all the
      time."
      Hygiene - "My wife got on my because I went a week without washing
      And I didn't even realize it."
      Suicide - "I thought about driving into traffic at the light. One
      Time I sped up and got on railroad tracks when a train was coming. I
      thought, what am I doing? I went into store parking lot." Reports
      this occurred 2 weeks ago. "I keep a picture of my daughter in the car
      to keep me from [doing it]."
      3. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria
      ---------------------------
      Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. The
      diagnostic criteria for PTSD, are from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual
      of Mental Disorders, 5th edition (DSM-5). The stressful event can be due to
      combat, personal trauma, other life threatening situations (non-combat
      related stressors). Do NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not
      attributable to the Criterion A stressor/PTSD. Instead, overlapping
      symptoms clearly attributable to other things should be noted under #6 - "Other
      symptoms".
      Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious
      injury,
      c) sexual violence, in one or more of the following ways:
      [X] Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s)
      [X] Witnessing, in person, the traumatic event(s) as they
      occurred to others
      Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion
      Symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the
      traumatic event(s) occurred:
      [X] Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing
      Memories of the traumatic event(s).
      [X] Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or
      affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event(s).
      [X] Dissociative reactions (e.g., flashbacks) in which the
      individual feels or acts as if the traumatic event(s)
      were recurring. (Such reactions may occur on a continuum,
      with the most extreme expression being a complete loss of
      awareness of present surroundings).
      [X] Intense or prolonged psychological distress at exposure
      To internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an
      aspect of the traumatic event(s).
      [X] Marked physiological reactions to internal or external
      cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the
      traumatic
      event(s).
      Criterion C: Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the
      Traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic events(s) occurred,
      as evidenced by one or both of the following:
      [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories,
      thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with
      the traumatic event(s).
      [X] Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders
      (people, places, conversations, activities, objects,
      situations) that arouse distressing memories, thoughts,
      or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic
      event(s).
      Criterion D: Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with
      the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the
      traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more)
      of
      the following:
      [X] Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or
      expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g.,
      "I
      am bad,: "No one can be trusted,: "The world is
      completely
      dangerous,: "My whole nervous system is permanently
      ruined").
      [X] Persistent, distorted cognitions about the cause or
      consequences of the traumatic event(s) that lead the
      individual to blame himself/herself or others.
      [X] Persistent negative emotional state (e.g., fear, horror,
      anger, guilt, or shame).
      [X] Markedly diminished interest or participation in
      significant activities.
      [X] Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others.
      [X] Persistent inability to experience positive emotions
      (e.g., inability to experience happiness, satisfaction,
      or
      loving feelings.)
      Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with
      the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the
      traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more)
      of
      the following:
      [X] Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no
      provocation) typically expressed as verbal or physical
      aggression toward people or objects.
      [X] Reckless or self-destructive behavior.
      [X] Hypervigilance.
      [X] Exaggerated startle response.
      [X] Problems with concentration.
      [X] Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying
      asleep or restless sleep).
      Criterion F:
      [X] The duration of the symptoms described above in Criteria
      B, C, and D are more than 1 month.
      Criterion G:
      [X] The PTSD symptoms described above cause clinically
      significant distress or impairment in social,
      occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
      Criterion H:
      [X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological
      effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or
      another medical condition.
      4. Symptoms
      -----------
      For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the
      Veteran's diagnoses:
       [X] Depressed mood
      [X] Anxiety
      [X] Suspiciousness
      [X] Chronic sleep impairment
      [X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent
      events
      [X] Flattened affect
      [X] Impaired judgment
      [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
      [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or
      a
      worklike setting
      [X] Suicidal ideation
      [X] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with
      periods
      of violence
      [X] Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene
      5. Behavioral observations
      --------------------------
      Veteran was open and forthright with no evidence of exaggeration or
      feigning symptoms. Affect blunted. Minimal eye contact. Speech regular
      rate, tone, volume. Thought process linear, logical, goal directed.
      Thought content absent for delusions, hallucinations, paranoia or HI.
      Endorses SI with no active plan, but drove car onto train tracks last
      week. Discussed safety, crisis line, Veteran has MHC appointment next
      week. Veteran reports safety to return home today.
      6. Other symptoms
      -----------------
      Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other
      mental disorders) that are not listed above?
      [ ] Yes [X] No
      7. Competency
      -------------
      Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?
      [X] Yes [ ] No
      8. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any:
      ---------------------------------------------------
      PCL-5 score 72, indicating probable diagnosis of PTSD.
      Veteran continues to meet criteria for PTSD. He reports social
      withdrawal, sleep problems, memory problems, irritability, anger that is both verbal
      and physical, suicidal thoughts. He has work accommodations because of
      his PTSD symptoms. He misses several days of work a month because of his
      symptoms.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines