VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help with rating total (Bi lateral factor)

Rate this question

usmcman001

Question

Can somebody help me understand bi lateral factor and how that is decided and added to percentage? I am rated at 90% I come up with 94 total on the calculator? Is this correct. 

Her is my disability ratings

70PTSD

50Apnea

30IBS

10Tinittus

10 Left Leg

10 Right Leg

10 Scar

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

USMCMAN

I show 94% too.  You will see this as 90% because the VA rounds their ratings up or down.  At this point with 70% PTSD it looks like now would be a good time to apply for TDIU.

Please see:

https://www.hillandponton.com/bilateral-factor-va-disability-rating/

Edited by vetquest

Yes this math is correct.  However you are 1% point away from being 100%!!!  There are 'SECONDARY' ISSUES/INJURIES you may be able to claim to bring you into the 100%.  Just know if you file for TDIU(your potential to earn additional income will become LIMITED and possibly affect your TDIU rating!!!)  The sole purpose of TDIU is saying you can't maintain 'gainful' employment based upon your 'service connected disabilities'.  

https://ptsdlawyers.com/blog/3-most-common-claims-left-on-the-side-secondary-service-connection-for-side-effects-of-medications/ 

Thanks. I am looking to continue working so TDIU is out of the picture as of right now. 

The VA sent me a calculator and it says I am 93%. It has a place for adding in your bilateral ratings which would be 10 and 10 correct? When I do this it says 93%. If I add them as individual factors it says 94%. What the heck. I am confused now. 

I thought that Bi Lateral ratings  were say 10 left leg and 10 right leg is 19 on the VA chart. So you take 19% divided by 10% for bilateral and you get 1.9% added to your total? Is this not the case? 

Any of the admins on here that can help? 

You need about 6 re-reads of computing Bi-Lateral SC calculations, very difficult to get a grip on the VA Math Theory.  You won't see a separate Rating Dept break-down calculation, the computer will apply it if the Rater lists the (Bi-Lateral) issues in play.

Va math is simple.  Not sure where your scar is, but it don't matter either way right now.  So both ways, its 94 rounded down to 90.

Bilateral's are always first.   Add 10% to total.

Left leg 10

Right leg 10 + 10 = 19 + 1.9 = 20.9 rounded up to 21

Single maladies, highest first, even though it don't matter.

PTSD, 21 + 70 = 76

Apnea 76 + 50 = 88

IBS 88 + 30 = 92

Tinnitus 92 + 10 = 93

Scar 93 + 10 = 94

94 rounded down to 90

Or, if your scar is related to your legs,

Bilateral's always first.

Left leg 10

Right leg 10 + 10 = 19

Scar 19 + 10 = 27 + 2.7 = 29.7 rounded up to 30

Singles next high to low

PTSD 30 + 70 = 79

Apnea 79 + 50 = 90

IBS 90 + 30 = 93

Tinnitus 93 + 10 = 94

94 rounded down to 90

Note: I have found the calculator to be wrong once.  So, I use it as a quick guide, but I like to use the pencil to be accurate.

FWIW,

Hamslice