• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Advice please...

Question

I don't know how to ask this so I will just post and see how it goes.  I had an experience in service and it stuck with me, I don't want to ask service buddies for a buddy letter (the guys that were actually there are all successful and I feel shame asking them to help me).  I recently post on our ships facebook ( hey you guys remember that time) group and 47 people responded to that post and confirmed the story.  Would the facebook response be good enough for a buddy letter? 

Took me a six pack to build the courage to make this post.  I'm thinking I might just give up on trying to make a claim as its taking so much energy to actually talk about this.

V/R,

Boats

Edited by BoatsFFG37
  • Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I am so proud of my daughter and explained what she did here before- one of the vets found a document in Vietnamese on the ground in Vietnam, sometime after this stressor they had all experienced.

As somebody who's filing a claim for PTSD over some embarrassing shit. I can assure you, you will find support if you look for it. You may not find it under every rock you turn over but eventually, if

You posted, 

I had an experience in service and it stuck with me,

Well, I had many "experiences" in service, but I currently have no diagnosis, and no symptoms.  While its possible, if you printed something out from facebook (that others had a similar experience), that could serve to prove a stressor, but it wouldnt make no difference if you did not have the other 2 legs of the Caluza Triangle:  

Current diagnosis

Nexus. 

If you are "in treatment" for this experience and you have a diagnosis by a doctor, then this claim may go somewhere.  But the VA isnt gonna pay you for an "experience that stuck with me", even if 50 other guys wrote a letter that the same thing happened to them.  

Im gonna guess here you did not include what the experience was for a reason.  You dont have to tell ME what it was, but, if you exepct compensation, you will have to tell your Doctor what it was, and what your symptoms are today.   

Edited by broncovet

@BoatsFFG37 I would think that "Bookface" aka "Facebook" would NOT be a reliable source for any credable statement. It is a social media platform, where any name, within reasons can be utilized - so verification of who is actually on the other end is suspect.... aka "Catfish" 

I suspect that the ppl you served with are more compassionate that you think. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I would consider that as evidence ( the Facebook post and replies) BUT I bet you could easily contact some of those veterans ,because a buddy statement or two or three is what the VA would really have to consider.

If you want service connection for this incident, you need at least one  eye witness account that  a buddy is willing to describe and then give their contact info to the VA as well, and also tell  VA they were in the same unit, same time, same place. Then the Facebook posts would be probative and compelling "corroborating" evidence.

Why be ashamed of asking if this is what you need to get service connected.

I asked the director's office of my VARO a question I was ashamed to ask- long ago-

it sounded ridiculous  ..

but when I got the answer I Never expected to get- I called my Congressman right away and he called the local VAMC right away and raised Hell with them.

Also if you can give your lay statment as to when and where the event took place  the VA can check on this as to what you say, from unit reports or unit records that it actually did happen as to what you said in your lay statment.  the date and location of the event  I think they give a 10 day interval  to see that your credible in your lay statment.  And use that as credible evidence.