VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fast PTSD decision and what it means

Rate this question

GeekySquid

Question

Hi all,

I am new here and have asked several questions and will probably ask many more.

I have written out more lengthy posts about my history so i will forgo that in this one.

In going through my records after a C&P review last week, I remembered something that seems quite different than the experiences of other vets with PTSD SC ratings.

It took less than 4 months from the time I had my initial C&P until I got rated and paid at 70% PTSD, 10% Tinnitus

This was in 2013.

Timeline:

Nexus events: 1984

Enlistment ended Oct 1989

Applied at local VARO and VAMC Jan 1990. Denied help. even said they could not find that I served with DD214 in hand from local base at Cecil Field Jacksonville.

Next 20+ years about a dozen VARO's and VAMC's denied me/ shooed me away.

Sept 2102 Hurricane destroyed my apartment. While waiting to apply for FEMA help met VSO who convinced me to apply again.

Oct 7 2012 VSO got me a bed at a VA homeless shelter

Dec 20th got C&P date for April 18th 2013

April 13th had C&P

July 23, 2013 I received 10K back pay check w/ 70% PTSD SC rating and 10% Tinnitus.

July 31, 2013 I received first monthly compensation check.

The 4 months from C&P to Payment time frame is real quick from everything I read.

Does this say anything about the strength of my claim and the results of the C&P?

I have vague recollection of the VSO and others at the New Orleans VA noting that the process was really fast and unusual. I did not really understand how quick it was until I began reading posts here 5 years after being rated.

I realize no one can say definitively yes or no to that question but opinions would be helpful from those with experience.

I also wonder if that rapid a response then, bodes well for the outcomes of my recent review that the doc indicated would likely increase my rating.

Also what the impact might be on the TD/IU claim I put in today. I have not had substantial employment since 2005, but I did have assets having been in the DOT COM bubble. Lost that in the07/08 crash, but that is besides the point. In fact my last official full time employer was in 2005. Tax records show that as well as my existing C-File.

any opinions would be considered helpful

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Let me see if I understand your question.  You applied in 1990, got denied, and applied again and again, and you finally got approved in 2013..and you think that is fast?  

I love your attitude, and you are an inspiration.  

You remind me of a story my pastor told about an optomist who was falling off a very tall building.  A rescue helicopter was nearby and the rescuer asked how he was (while he was still falling).  

"So far, real good!"  

It took you homelessness and 23 years to get your benefits, and you ask us how come you got benefits so fast?  

I hope you post here a lot, and I hope you get help you need and deserve because you are what my pastor told us we should be:  Be content with what you have.  He also told us to "you do not have because you do not ask", so I am asking for my full benefits that I think I deserve.  Its kinda complicated..to be content and yet ask, but you seem to do that very very well.  My hats off to you.  

My attorney explained that the outcome of my case was dependent on which judge we get.  I dont doubt that.  But, Im not gonna attribute that to "the luck of the draw", like a gambler may.  There are judges who are more "Veteran friendly" than other judges.  Two people can look at the same thing, and see something very different.  

I looked at losing my home while waiting 7 years on benefits, as a very negative thing.  You sir, questioned why you were able to get your benefits in a mere 23 years.  

Now, VA people are rather sticklers and dont like to take any of this.  They want to seperate departments so they can blame the other department.  When I asked him why it took 7 years, he said the VARO made a decision in mere months, and it was the BVA that took most of the 7 years.  I found out recently that was a lie:  According to the BVA chairman, the VARO takes 500 days to issue a SOC, and the VARO takes another 773 days to "certify" and send my claim to the BVA.  That means the VARO was responsible for at least 5 years of my 7 years it took to get my benefits.  

GS, what is your current CSC % Rating? Have you attempted to try for IU Awarding?