VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

odd question

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Thanks guys, I just found more info and deleted my posts-

one reason I never do emails or phone calls about claims and VA- the info changes sometimes when you dig into it-

it was nothing like what I was first told.    

Edited by Berta
deleted posts

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

The eligibility of medicare/medicaid is "state dependent", according to this article:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/does-medicare-medicaid-come-with-social-security-ssi-disability-benefits.html

As you know, Im 100 percent, but I have also opted into medicare advantage, as Im over 65.  I did this for some specific reasons, mostly, I dont want to be forced to use the VAMC system.  

Yes, it sounds like this Vet COULD use VA medical care, but many Vets prefer more choices for their care, as do I.  

As far as I know, there is no regulation that prevents Vets from using both.   However, "more is not always better", when it comes to insurance.  

Example:

My wife gets Champva, and has a medicare advantage plan which included prescription drug coverage.

This is a "bad idea", as I will explain.  Champva has "meds by mail", but "only if" you do not have another prescription drug plan.  So, she can not get Champva "meds by mail".  Meds by mail apparently has no copays, yet her humana medicare advantage plan has copays.  She is on blood thinner Xarelto, which has a 60 dollar per month copay.  She would not have to pay that 60 dollars per month, had she not have gotten the medicare advantage prescription plan.  (She could have gotten Champva meds by mail at 0 copy).   

So, in this example, because she has 2 forms of insurance (Champva and Humana medicare advantage prescription plan), it costs us more than 60 dollars per month more than if she had JUST Champva.  

(Champva allows her to send in her copays, and does send a check, but what a hassle to file an insurance claim every month)  

As to whether this Vet should use VAMC or medicare/medicaid, that is a personal choice.  Some parts of my VAMC are great, while others are substandard.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
24 minutes ago, broncovet said:

As you know, Im 100 percent, but I have also opted into medicare advantage, as Im over 65.  I did this for some specific reasons, mostly, I dont want to be forced to use the VAMC system.  

Yes, it sounds like this Vet COULD use VA medical care, but many Vets prefer more choices for their care, as do I.  

Brilliant