VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Still 40% why?

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

They closed one of my claims today and ebenefits still says I have 40% but for my disability list says I have 10% for hearing, 10% High Blood Pressure, 20% for Scars and 30% for my left knee replacement as of 08/21/2018, but it's saying I only get 40% the VA rep did the math and I should have at least been awarded 60% so does anyone know why the VA still has me at 40%. I have not received my letter yet explaining why I'm still at 40% rating. I think I found why because when you have a knee replacement scars are covered in the 30% so I think thats why they took the 20% away for scars on my knee. 

Also I called and the VA to ask the question since I had another knee replacement on the same knee I should have been awarded the temp 100% the VA says no you don't get that it's a one time deal no matter how many times you have surgery's on that same knee through the years, so they canceled my total knee replacement claim and told me I could file an appeal but she said don't waste my time on it. so I have no choice but to get another VSO to help me again.

Edited by Rhodesia

33 minutes ago, vetquest said:

Rated disabilities should show zero percent ratings.  Mine even includes that fracture that I requested that was determined not service connected.  It sounds like E-benefits is still not fully updated in your case.  As may others will attest E-benefits is not an accurate reflection of your case at all times.  Let's hope that your big brown envelope will shed some more data on this.

yea that big brown envelope, I hate to see that knowing what that goofball was telling me on the phone I hate for him to be telling me that's a true statement about taking the 20% away. To make a long story short when I was working for the VA as a VA Police officer I had to do a standby because a Vietnam Veteran came in to the Comp and Pen office complaining because they took 20% away from his 100% because he received a new prosthetic leg and there fore the VA said that help him in his recovery for a better life, I saw the letter and yes the VA did that to him, he got a lawyer and sued and after two years got his 100% back because in the end the VA should not have done that in the first place and he was a purple heart recipient with 3 silver stars for Valor from Vietnam. I tell you I have seen some stupid things the VA does to Vets, but when they took that guys 20% away from his 100% because he received a new prosthetic leg he just snapped. 

Wow that is utterly disgusting to do that to a Purple Heart VV. I have the utmost respect for all veterans regardless of period served. That is way beyond the pale, that was vindictive in every sense of the word. And to say probably we were just following the regs is a cop out. I read asknod's post and one the most recent one's about getting the Vet 100% 9 or so days after he died had me in damn tears and anger at the same time.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Keep in mind that if they plan to reduce a rating or combine disabilities together (i.e. pyramiding), the VA is supposed to inform you in advance and give you a period of time to respond/contest it.

55 minutes ago, Vync said:

Keep in mind that if they plan to reduce a rating or combine disabilities together (i.e. pyramiding), the VA is supposed to inform you in advance and give you a period of time to respond/contest it.

well if that is the case the VA has never contacted me either by mail or phone that they are going to reduce a service connected award since my claim was started in 2016, interesting I did not know they have to contact you before they strip you of an service connected award.  

1 hour ago, spearhead91 said:

Wow that is utterly disgusting to do that to a Purple Heart VV. I have the utmost respect for all veterans regardless of period served. That is way beyond the pale, that was vindictive in every sense of the word. And to say probably we were just following the regs is a cop out. I read asknod's post and one the most recent one's about getting the Vet 100% 9 or so days after he died had me in damn tears and anger at the same time.

I have a true story from my VA employee days, we had a vietnam veteran at our Domiciliary which houses over 1500 veterans well he was dying of Agent Orange and he had a claim in, and the last two years the VA wanted proof he was in the area where they sprayed and the base camp where he was at, well some people don't know that Agent Orange was also used to clear the jungles in order to build a base camp, well anyway we have an Infirmary at the Domiciliary and would you believe 3 weeks after his death he had received his retro back pay for Agent Orange dating back to 1969, and since he had died the VA took the money back and his wife did not get a dime of it, even the lawyer could not help her this went as far as to the congressmen too, shows you how bad the VA system is. But I'm sure there are far more worse stories than this one in dealing with the VA. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
9 minutes ago, Rhodesia said:

well if that is the case the VA has never contacted me either by mail or phone that they are going to reduce a service connected award since my claim was started in 2016, interesting I did not know they have to contact you before they strip you of an service connected award.  

I ran the numbers you provided (10, 10, 20, 30) and I get 55, which rounds up to 60.

Something is not right...