VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fast PFN status and new C&P Vets.gov oddity(?)

Rate this question

GeekySquid

Question

Hey all,

As some of you know I am new here and posted a few questions trying to learn about this process. Won't go into deep detail but I have just had a couple oddly fast responses so I want to share them

First off I had a C&P review of my 70% PTSD status on 16 August 2018. Doc said his company has been getting fast responses from the VA and that based on how he was writing the report and adding a diagnosis of "BiPolar likely caused by the PTSD" and that I "would get" (his words) a bump in rating even though they are not supposed to make that type of statement because they are not raters.

Found this site, asked a bunch of questions about timing and next steps etc. had some very thorough answers and I thank you all for them.

On Aug 20th Ebenefits showed claim as Gathering evidence

Today Aug 23 Ebenefits shows Preparation for Notification, which seems really really fast for the VA so I started digging around to find out others experience with recent VA speed in processing. I assume my local VARO is a factor in that speed.

I found a posting that referred to Vets.gov, so I went there and under Track my Claims I see a couple things not on Ebenefits.

245338417_pathof31julyclaimmovedtoPFNstatusebenefits.thumb.jpg.092e466990617a0e0874e6ae4ee19cba.jpg

which is fairly fast and not on the ebenefits site.

I read others getting to PFN then being sent back to Gathering of Evidence, so I am not jumping up and down yet.

In the meantime with all the questions I asked it was suggested that other possible claims I was considering pursuing, including TDIU and for Ed and an increase on a couple of the secondaries to my PTSD and reopening a bilateral hearing loss, that the longer I waited the more money I would/might not be receiving. It was strongly suggested I apply asap, so I did.

That was also on 8/20/2018

Tonight at 10 p.m. EST I got an email saying I had another C&P on 8/31/2018, but does not say for what, which is what started the hunt for info today.

On Ebenefits it says one of my new claims is closed. nothing else, just closed.

On Vets.Gov it says closed notification mailed.

What is odd is that the path I show in the attached image for my C&P review that had such a fast turn around is not shown for that claim.

That claim was for ED, which as a man rated 70% PTSD with Major Depressive disorder with psychotic features, should be a no brainer as I understand the online discussions.

So in this case on the Ebenefits site, I chose to select the Request a Decision link after I submitted the Fully Qualified application.

Overall on both situations the speed is kinda gnawing at me. On the ED claim, it will be interesting to see what they say and try and figure out if clicking that link for something that is well documented in my SMR and VA record actually makes things quicker. The SMC payment would be at least 105 bucks even if they rate as 0%, but they can rate as high as 20% for SC trauma causing the ED.  Doing the VA math and assuming no bump in my PTSD rating, rating me at 10 or 20% would bump my overall combined rating to 80%, so as long as they don't deny the claim I will have an increase.

On the other one, I really want to trust the doctors suggestion that I will get a bump but as PTSD comes in 30, 50, 70 & 100% blocks the only bump I see (now) is to 100% which would be great and would erase the need for TDIU which would be cool because being 100%  Schedule has serious advantages over being 100% TDIU. The date of the new C&P, 8/31, also has me a bit worried only because I might not get any online notification of the outcome in PFN or for the ED.

Anyway,

I will post an update once I find out what each of these are.

Thanks for reading

Buck,

I understand your question an like L said, the cold hard fact is that we can only live the best we can after 65 if our spouse dies.  We need life insurance or save the best we can.  Through the VA if you can get it.  It is expensive but I have a quarter million dollar life insurance policy on myself.  Yes, it eats money I could use but it is a great buffer for my wife when I die.  Some people spend more every month on cable than my life insurance costs.    Also my new SMC award is going to the bank every month for a later date. 

I see it every day with some of the people I deal with, volunteer work.  The spouse has died and the wife is making it the best they can.  I have one widow that I take to doctor's appts that just got a job, at 72.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I understand living above one means  but to but cut off short all of a sudden  its hard for most widows , even if they are living within their means , most still have a monthly mortgage to come up with every month  and that most likely would gobble up that 1.200 DIC

As for as not having cable  some times I think were all better off with out cable  all the evil in the world today is all thats on TV anymore and the commercials take over 3/4 of the time for any worth while shows to watch.

& the media is  CIRCUS now days.

If the veteran and spouse don't have any savings or any type of other sources of income...they have to give up there home and material things they work hard all their life for and go live in a cracker box and barley make ends meet.

I think the VA compensation should not end  it should stay the same until both veteran and spouse passes away

As President Lincoln quoted  to care for the veterans spouse and infant.

Its hard to save any thing now days and the ones that do are extremely lucky.

It takes most all what me and my spouse has coming in and we don't live beyond our means  the monthly mortgage takes half of what we got coming in, the rest is for insurance health coverage and life insurance.  we have no car payment my pick up truck is paid for and still runs like brand new  wife car is paid for and still runs brand new  although she don't drive anymore.  

some times I do want to go back to living in a Cracker Box  the way we lived before I got my comp. at least we were happy back then and made ends meet without any income coming in no worries of what if's, but our place was paid off back then only had to pay the yearly taxes  which back then was dirt cheap something like 400.00 a year..I continue to mow yards and sell aluminum cans and the wife did shampoos at the local ladys salon for 35 cents a head  for the beauticians.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetquest

That was a long time ago  ..Lol

Yea, when I got out my wife worked at a pizza joint and I was terminally unemployed until I went through a one year course for the disabled put on by IBM and the state.  That was 32 years ago.

@buck52

you asked

14 hours ago, Buck52 said:

What serious ''Advantages'' over being TDIU over 100% would they be? Just Curious as to what your referring to here?

There are a couple of things and one affects every TDIU vet and one affects vets with student loans.

a rating of 100% scheduler allows vets to earn any amount of money they are able from working.

A rating of 100% TD/IU restricts veterans allowable earnings to the poverty level set by the Federal government, so a single person that is like 11 -13K every year. not much.

On student loans.

a recent change to the laws does a couple things that favor veterans.

1) Dept of Ed, working with NelNet, are now being notified of a vets 100% status, both schedule and TD/IU.

There is a semi-automated process (or you can start it yourself once the decision packet is in hand) and your student loans can be forgiven.

Another change under that new law is that the forgiven amount is NO LONGER considered income so no taxes need be paid on the forgiven amount.

2) Differences in forgiveness program exist between Schedule and TD/IU. I don't know all the details yet but one of the differences is that if you are Schedule you are golden. Once approved they can never claw back the forgiven amount.

If you are TD/IU however, if they find out that you earned more than the poverty level income allowed, they can re-activate your obligation to pay those loans and be sued to recover lost interest. There is some time limit, I think it is three years.

For both statuses the veteran can forget ever getting another Student Fed Loan unless they agree to pay back the old loans.

As I read the information on the website, https://disabilitydischarge.com/  it is a good thing for vets who are `100% either way you shake it, if you have student loans, and I do.

btw I will make another thread but I just got a listing on ebenefits of 100% and the summary of benefits letter says P & T. so now I am in the wait and watch mode for the packet to arrive.