VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this topic

SpaceAce54

Hello Silverdollar22, 

Im in the same boat you were. I tried submitting a claim straight up for Sleep Apnea. Now after a lot of research Im trying to service connect it to my SC Depression. 

Would you be able to send me a copy of the IMO. I plan to go see the sleep rx to possibly get a Nexus. 

Thanks in Advance.

On 9/18/2018 at 8:26 AM, silverdollar22 said:

First, do you have a diagnosis for sleep apnea? Second, I found it easier to claim secondary, rather than trying to claim that it occurred while in service. I was a very loud snorer while in the service and probably had it then but, I have been researching and it seemed almost impossible to service connect while in service (JMHO). I can send you a copy of the IMO so you can show it to your doctor and explain how it needs to read for the VA to understand. It has to show good rational to connect the dots.

Silver,

I do have an diagnosis of sleep apnea and there is some in-service documentation I will have when my c-file gets here. can you send me that information also?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am waiting on my claim for sleep apnea as well. I had a test done and my rate was 97 times per hour i stop breathing. Its so bad they put me on a B PAP. Also, my sleep doctor/neurologist listed nightmare/ptsd in the notes so i am not sure how they will end up rating this. I have letters too from family, roommates, ex wife on my sleep habits. I am banking on them declining it as it seems to be the norm and i wish i knew what sleep apnea was because before i got out, i would have tested then. I had no clue and just wrote off the snoring etc as just a snore type. I am reading that several people are claiming sleep apnea as secondary. So does this mean if they deny claim, i try to go the route of saying sleep apnea due to PTSD?

I took the test, i even complained of headaches before getting out which can be a result of poor sleep and i am in the middle of migraines claim where i had my neurologist fill out a DMQ and listed PTSD and anxiety as well as marked all the boxes to have migraines rated. On meds too. Ive been fighting the denial for my headaches since i got out in 2005. I have read the denial information on the BBE and just simply see why they denied it, then i go back to the doctor and have them state or use the verbiage that the VA is asking for. Its not a lie but its just how it is. You would think most of this is common sense but they need to see buzz words or see that you are being subscribed something in order to rate you.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on your victory! Like many others, I am now going the secondary to my PTSD, although on my final physical I stated I had sleep problems and the VA diagnosed me with Insomnia within my first year of being out. My VSO stated that the VA was not following the law when they denied my claim because they stated that all my buddy statements and DBQ was credible, their only rebuttal was that they had evidence that was more credible (yeah right!)

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use