VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA always prolongs the inevitable

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure  what  all jfrei conditions are?

...he is a TBI Veteran and rated 100%P&T PTSD, and has issues with Migraines and Memory problems.

As I understand  he has been sent for several C&P on different issues the TBI has caused or related to.

...I am not sure he has any limbs missing or amputations?  or if he is bedridden?    But he would need most of these to get the higher tier for SMC

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am providing a link for the caregiver program:

https://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/support_benefits.asp

And as Alex stated this payment comes from VHA.

(copied and pasted from pdf link from above site):

Eligibility for the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers

The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) is a clinical program administered by the Veterans Health Administration.  It is not a VA benefit program.  Eligibility is reassessed annually or as needed.  When appropriate, the long term goal is for the Veteran to be able to safely meet his/her own care needs and discharge from PCAFC.  Participation in the program must support the Veteran’s progress in rehabilitation to the extent possible.

@Buck the regs state what is needed for smc t and it is listed in the PDF reg that I posted.  Jfrei and his drs, vso, rep etc would have to determine if he meets those requirements.

SMC t was established esp for tbi vets.  They suffer costly brain injuries that don't fit well into other smc categories, thus smc t was created.

I'm not here to tell someone if they qualify, all I can do is provide links to regs and information that I have learned about from my research.

• HadIt.com Elder

SMC is an entitlement After a Veteran has been rated 100% P&T

As I understand the SMC is broken down into letters and each letter as its criteria for the correct entitlement, they don't figure the SMC Like they do the regular claims or on a percentage , its basically the more a Veteran is F*** up the better/higher the entitlement.

A&A is pretty bad  but the higher up the SMC  Table the worse off the Veteran is Medically speaking.  Not sure why SMC (t) would be a Temporary Rating, unless they think the Veteran will improve? 

Its hard to understand these SMC , Alex has explain them the best he can  and I still don't understand just how they give the Appropriate SMC?  

Every Veteran should be entitled to SMC if he is bedridden or can't fend for himself and needs the assistance from another person to help him meet his Needs.

I understand what you meant..and using the Regs  but we need to ask ourselfs...  Are we understanding these Regs  when it comes to adjudicating Severe TBI  Veterans

@Buck the caregiver program is temporary as they expect many of those vets to improve through therapy, etc.  Also, as a member of some of those caregiver support groups one of the problems is that the VA/politicians started the program, allocated funds for it and then were overwhelmed by how many applied, were accepted and the cost it involved.  The caregiver program is a nightmare that I'll leave up to you to research.

My understanding is that smc t isn't temporary.  Unless I guess you are suddenly cured of the tbi residuals.  Maybe like you'd lose smc for lou if that limb suddenly grew back in a miracle? /sarc but with humor

• HadIt.com Elder

Little off topic  here. but

I wish veterans can look into the VBMS  on the computer as for back as they need to  for the veterans that can't find their records.but so for Only  VA VSO And Accredited Claims Agents and some VA Attorneys can do this.

I see no reason why a Veteran can't look into these too.