VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC exam tomorrow

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So my exam is  here tomorrow and I’m not sure if they will send me me to additional re c and Ps not worried I had 5 of them last year so they are all under one year the newest on increasing my migraines to 50% last week. But does anyone collect  caregiver benefits and SMC L? If so would getting SMC L be evidence enough to be granted caregiver benefits if approved?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

SMC L is for Aid and attendance. It is also the required step for all higher level Special Monthly Compensation ratings. 

I read documentation and I don't remember where unfortunately, that if you are at 100 percent and receive Aid and Attendance, you qualify for the caregiver program. It's like 29 pages, small writing, and within the first 5 or 10 pages on the bottom right paragraph. Now, how much you would qualify for, is a different story. There are 3 tiers and  which one you qualify for depends on how much aid and attendance you need. I personally got denied the tiers, however my wife is my caregiver and she gets 30 days of respite care. I'm trying to qualify for aid and attendance and then hopefully they can't deny me being in one of the tier groups. 

I’m SMC S and was denied caregiver program twice for my sTBI that’s rated 100% I’ve given up don’t work home most days.