VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has anyone successfully gotten an ergonomic chair through Voc Rehab?

Rate this question

rel8ted

Question

I am trying to get an ergonomic desk/chair setup due to severe employment handicap. My voc rehab counselor says she has never heard of such a thing and she does not even know where to find a regulation on that. Just wondering if anyone has successfully gotten one and had some tips on ho they did it. It seems to me that should fall under special equipment, but want to make sure before I send her back the info cc her supervisor, regional director, and probably my congressman since she feels like it will take "months" for this to be approved :if she can figure it out"

I'm in online classes, so they can't say the school should accommodate it. She first told me I need a note from my doc, so I managed to get the physical therapist to make an exception for me and write a recommendation, then she said it HAS to be an MD, and stated she wasn't even sure how to process.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by rel8ted

My voc rehab counselor basically told me if I can get a doctors note stating how this would help me he could get it approved. Its for school and you have to sit for hours on end. How would this not benefit you? A ergonomic chair would give you more time at you computer and would allow further success in your schooling. If you are going that route ask for a ergonomic desk also (sit/stand)

I’m not sure if a vocational rehabilitation counselor is supposed to help with finding a chair, but you could prove that it’s important for your classes. Unfortunately, the healthcare system is not as inclusive as it should be, even when dealing with clients who face physical and psychological challenges. But an ergonomic chair can help with postural control, as it offers full support for your back, your arms and head.  Additionally, a voc rehab counselor should help you find the right accommodations at your workplace or classes, including finding the right office setup. You can find ergonomic chairs here https://eurekaergonomic.com/gaming-chairs/ if you’re still looking.

Edited by denzaldeer