VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU spouse benefits question

Rate this question

CaptainJack

Question

Hello everyone,

Found out Thursday, thru a large deposit in my checking account, that my application for IU had been granted.

Information on health benefits for my wife seem to be all over the place on the web, so I thought I'd ask here. If I have gone from 80% permanent rating to IU 100%, does my wife now qualify for health care under Champva(or Tricare)? Any input appreciated.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 hours ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations!  Yes, your spouse should be eligible for Champva, and your kids eligible for Chapter 35..does your decision say you are eligible for Ch. 35?  

Yes, in the "Reasons for Decision" section of the award letter, "2. Eligibility to Dependents .....Chapter 35" the last line reads:

"...evidence shows the veteran currently has a total service-connected disability, permanent in nature"

They couldn't just say that I was P&T on the front page, it has to be buried in a paragraph about dependents educational assistance, which is why I missed it the first time because that benefit is not applicable to us.

I will call Tuesday and double check. I also want to find out about ID cards for military commissary access.

Thanks for the heads up about "Chapter 35"

To get an id card:

1.  Take your birth certificate, DD214, and drivers license, along with a printed out letter from ebenefits that says you are p and T (or your decision letter).

2.  With all these things (probably your wife, too, along with her proof, above) go to the id place on post.  On my post, get ready to wait 2 hours, but yours may be different.  

Your wife can get a card also, if you jump through these hoops, so she can buy your stuff on base without you.  

For your wife, you wont need a dd214, just a birth certificate, drivers license, and possibly a social security card.  

Your state, too, may have additional benefits such as reduction or even eliminate property taxes, sometimes they have free license plates, free hunting license, etc.  Do a google search, "(your state) Veterans benefits"

39 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Your state, too, may have additional benefits such as reduction or even eliminate property taxes, sometimes they have free license plates, free hunting license, etc.  Do a google search, "(your state) Veterans benefits"

Once I was rated at 50% a few years back, I got all those things from the state of Oregon, nice.

One of the surprise benefits was when I was taking  some out of town guests to Crater Lake, Oregon's only national park, and the toll gate guy noticed my permanent veteran plates and issued me a National Park Pass Card(no experation), no gate fees for any park! Pretty cool.