Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainJack

TDIU spouse benefits question

Question

Hello everyone,

Found out Thursday, thru a large deposit in my checking account, that my application for IU had been granted.

Information on health benefits for my wife seem to be all over the place on the web, so I thought I'd ask here. If I have gone from 80% permanent rating to IU 100%, does my wife now qualify for health care under Champva(or Tricare)? Any input appreciated.

Congratulations!  Yes, your spouse should be eligible for Champva, and your kids eligible for Chapter 35..does your decision say you are eligible for Ch. 35?  

3 hours ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations!  Yes, your spouse should be eligible for Champva, and your kids eligible for Chapter 35..does your decision say you are eligible for Ch. 35?  

Yes, in the "Reasons for Decision" section of the award letter, "2. Eligibility to Dependents .....Chapter 35" the last line reads:

"...evidence shows the veteran currently has a total service-connected disability, permanent in nature"

They couldn't just say that I was P&T on the front page, it has to be buried in a paragraph about dependents educational assistance, which is why I missed it the first time because that benefit is not applicable to us.

I will call Tuesday and double check. I also want to find out about ID cards for military commissary access.

Thanks for the heads up about "Chapter 35"

To get an id card:

1.  Take your birth certificate, DD214, and drivers license, along with a printed out letter from ebenefits that says you are p and T (or your decision letter).

2.  With all these things (probably your wife, too, along with her proof, above) go to the id place on post.  On my post, get ready to wait 2 hours, but yours may be different.  

Your wife can get a card also, if you jump through these hoops, so she can buy your stuff on base without you.  

For your wife, you wont need a dd214, just a birth certificate, drivers license, and possibly a social security card.  

Your state, too, may have additional benefits such as reduction or even eliminate property taxes, sometimes they have free license plates, free hunting license, etc.  Do a google search, "(your state) Veterans benefits"