VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ability of veteran to protect from daily hazards/dangers

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Anyone know how long this will take to deny my Aid and Attendance claim? Or is this positive? I missed allot of the details I just posted the parts about my bad memory..Date of claim 4/14/2017

Dizziness: never

Memory loss: moderate short term memory loss

does imbalance effect ability to ambulated: never

wife reminds him and tells him not to do things because I’ll do something dangerous and forget to do things I’m sometimes have accidents due to impulsiveness she list times I’ve left car running. For hours, propane tanks drained, oven left on for day. Wife reminds me with my meds and scheduling my doctor appointments. His deployment in Afghanistan he was required to have a supervisor assist in watching to make sure he didn’t hurt hisself or others by forgetting tools on the ch-53 but was mechanically  inclined so just had to have a fellow marine keeping track of his tools as he left one in  an engine before 

evidence MRI: dx TBI intracranial cyst 3.23cm multifocal susceptibility artifact due from micro hemorrhages

Diagnosis

mild neurocognitive disoder due to TBI

ADHD

severe TBi

OCD

PTSD

sleep apnea

medical opinion requested NO

Medical evidence was my current last years MRIs neauropych current enrolled in the poly trauma program and am currently in cognitive therapy so I was thinking the AA exam was two pages instead with my evidence it’s a total of 12 pages.

Currently receiving SMC S...

IMG_3208rehab.pdf

IMG_3209dxlist.pdf

IMG_3210polynote.pdf

Edited by jfrei

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Alex posted the criteria for A and A, but I will do so again.  You know your symptoms far better than we do, and you should know what is documented.  

Did your doctor state you needed help "protecting you from daily hazards/dangers"?  Remember, evidence wins claims, not lay statements from Veterans (with some exceptions):

Aid & Attendance (A&A)

The Aid & Attendance (A&A) increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount if you meet one of the following conditions:

• You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment
  • You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment
  • You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity
  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less

If your doctor stated that you needed aid of another person for one or more of these things, then fight it.  

If not, you will need a doctor statement such ans an IMO.  

She never stated that exactly but she never said the opposite she just went into detail about my wife protecting me from daily hazards accidents from my impulsivelyshe maintains my medications as I forget to take Them daily and prepares my meals as I am a danger when cooking with an oven. These are just the notes she put on my healthnet I’ll receive the C and P copy on Wednesday or how long snail mail takes..

IMG_3213aa.pdf

Edited by jfrei

3 hours ago, broncovet said:

Alex posted the criteria for A and A, but I will do so again.  You know your symptoms far better than we do, and you should know what is documented.  

Did your doctor state you needed help "protecting you from daily hazards/dangers"?  Remember, evidence wins claims, not lay statements from Veterans (with some exceptions):

If your doctor stated that you needed aid of another person for one or more of these things, then fight it.  

If not, you will need a doctor statement such ans an IMO.  

I remember thanks i just hope when I review the copy it will have more info then my online notes... like the actual 21-2680

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

jfrei

if you can't prove your like what is in the above critera   they will probably deny you

your Dr statements actually hurt your chances  b/c they will take it that your wife is helping you.

We understand what you mean,  but the VA really has no compassion when it comes to these type claims  Dr's are your best friend to state your well being.

you need to let these Dr's know all about how you can't cook or get dressed or feed yourself and for get major things  if this is whats going on in your life?

some times the VA will send someone out to check on how you live how you get around in your home and see that your bedridden and just scope things out.

just always be truthful.

Edited by Buck52

It says on my notes ability to protect myself from hazards are impacted by my moderate short memory loss and that my wife helps me make my decisions which she does, love for them to ask my spouse. My wife makes sure I take my daily medications and also has to schedule appointments since I can’t do it on my own anymore. My poly trauma manager submitted into my record my neuropsych test my mris with multiple areas of concern still and my diagnosis of my severe tbi I think it’s enough but whenever I hope it’s always  let down...my poly trauma coordinator said Jamie you know the drill now you will have to appeal anything to get anything I just hate how I’ve had to do through this huge ordeal to get anything all the way from the VA and it’s taken a toll on my care and family which she entered into my health record. 

Edited by jfrei

10 hours ago, Buck52 said:

jfrei

if you can't prove your like what is in the above critera   they will probably deny you

your Dr statements actually hurt your chances  b/c they will take it that your wife is helping you.

We understand what you mean,  but the VA really has no compassion when it comes to these type claims  Dr's are your best friend to state your well being.

you need to let these Dr's know all about how you can't cook or get dressed or feed yourself and for get major things  if this is whats going on in your life?

some times the VA will send someone out to check on how you live how you get around in your home and see that your bedridden and just scope things out.

just always be truthful.

I thought the criteria states that help from a spouse to keep you from hazards is one of the requirements of AA?