VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reading granted cases about AA

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Here’s a similar case to mine I’m reading

October 23, 2008, entitlement to a rating of 100 percent for a TBI is granted, subject to statutory and regulatory provisions governing the payment of monetary benefits. The claim of entitlement to TDIU is dismissed. Entitlement to a 50 percent rating for the headaches residuals of a TBI is granted, subject to statutory and regulatory provisions governing the payment of monetary benefits. Entitlement to special monthly compensation based on the need for aid and attendance is granted, subject to statutory and regulatory provisions governing the payment of monetary benefits.

that being said if AA is awarded in this case which it was how is it determined the level of AA to be given?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I wont cite the regulations again, but the level of A and A is dependent upon the skill of the caregiver required, mostly.  

If the person giving you care is NOT a nurse, NOT a doctor, and not a physicial therapist, then you get the lower level of A and A.

However, if you are so sick that a NURSE has to check on you, change bandages, IV's, clean wounds, etc, etc., then you get a higher level of A and A.  What level of care are you getting?  Is it from a nurse?  

As I explained before, the higher levels are meant to keep you out of the nursing home, because it may be cheaper for a nurse to come check on you, rather than have nursing care around the clock.  

So, do you think you are ready for a nursing home, or you have a nurse coming to check on you all the time?  If so, you may be eligible for the advanced levels of A and A.  

Edited by broncovet

If my wife/relative wasn’t around yes I do believe so with my moderately impaired short term memory which is what the doctor who did my C&P states as well as being approved for poly trauma rehab for my TBI in Richmond  Va... guess we will find out soon then later my appeal and my SMC aa claim appeals pending case dispatch and claim is pending decision approval. I know the regulations and it’s just such a gray area with people with a TBI still.

Edited by jfrei

You might get the lowest level of A and A, SMC L,  unless your wife/caretaker is a registered nurse, provided that you have it medically docuemtented you need help with the criteria posted in the A and A schedule.    

This is alittle old to respond to but what the heck I’ll try. So my doctor put yes I need medication manage, yes I can prepare my own meals but only if their cold can’t be trusted with the stove and oven ( now a fire hazard left oven top on for a week and well long story short My wife cooks the hot stuff) no pun intended, and when asks what I do in a day in a day, he says tries to take care of his children which is effected by my TBI OCD and ADHD. He said tries but didn’t explain in detail other then I try not that I’m very successful but I do my best to get them into daycare most of the time until my wife gets back from her part time job. Is trying to care for my two young children and preparing cold meals and straight up no for aid and attendance and also with the need for medication management due to my TBI and ADHD exacerbated by the TBI? The doctor also stated I can drive anytime I want as long as my wife is with me so being able to drive myself with my wife may hurt me? If it’s a no I’m ok with that there’s nothing left  to appeal about, I also just filed for CG for my wife so I don’t need or want both,  I just wanted one or the other anything if I’m eligible.

Edited by jfrei