VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PSYD/Psychiatrist Visits

Rate this question

DevilDogCurt

Question

I am rated at 70% for MDD/Anxiety.  How often do  you visit your PSYD/Psychiatrist?  I was going every two weeks but now it monthly.  The meds help some but have some negative affects (weight gain, ED).  Still trying to find the right combo.  I don't want my percentage to be affected by lesser visits.  Can the VA decrease my percentage if I started going monthly instead of bi-weekly?  Thanks for any inputs.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 hours ago, DevilDogCurt said:

Can the VA decrease my percentage if I started going monthly instead of bi-weekly?

I think Asknod has posted somewhere you are supposed to be rated before being medicated. I don't think I would worry about your appointments being monthly instead of bi-weekly.

• HadIt.com Elder

you can go to the MH Clinic any time you feel you need to , they will find you a therapist to see if you need that?

as for as seeing a therapist or psychiatrist  on a monthly bases  no they can't reduce your benefits for that reason  as  long as your seeking treatment.

Usually for Chronic PTSD Diagnosed Veterans  they usually need to seek treatment some times twice a week or weekly  then bi-weekly  depends on the severity of your symptoms  

Its a good question, but the answer is: 

No. It wont be a big deal at all, UNLESS you have "actually improved under ordinary condtions of life".  These words are from 38 CFR 3.344 Stabilization of Ratings.  

The VA is looking at your SYMPTOMS, not TREATMENT.  Treatments vary.  Docs try one pill, then take you off that, try another..then they try talk therapy sometimes for a while.  A new doc could come in and say you only need an appointment once every 3 months.  

Read your file and see if the doc has said anything about your condition improving.  

However, guys who go to the doc every 2 weeks until they get rated, then quit going at all, do raise a red flag.  That makes it appear you are a malingerer.  However, I have thought long and hard about discontinuitng my VA treatment and, instead opt for some alternative forms of treatment, which, for the most part, VA does not offer.  Some examples are:   Exercise therapy, aroma therapy, magnetic therapy, holostic medicine, chiropractic care and a bunch more.  Did you know that "alternative medicine" visits have exceeded "MD" visits for a long time?  In short, people are frustrated about their care at a regular MD's office, and seek care with "alternative practioners", and there is a long list, including Osteopathic medicine.  I would like to see VA TRY to reduce me because I sought "alternative" therapy.  I would be "all over that".   I think my attorney would like to see that also.  It would be almost like the VA cancel my benefits because I went to church and asked for prayer.  

My doc sets the time period she thinks I need to be seen.  Currently, Im on once per quarter.  She feels that is sufficient.  Does some VA rater have the right to dispute MY medical care?  How would they know how often I need to be seen by a psypchiatrist?  Do they have a medical degree???  

• HadIt.com Elder
On 9/7/2018 at 6:34 AM, vetquest said:

I went weekly for more years than I can count.  I am currently bi monthly with a PHD and every six months with a Psychiatrist.  I am rated at 70% and chronic.

Same with me vetquest

I am currently in the CPT therapy sessions weekly   & see the psychiatrist every 3 months  or sooner if the need arouses . Been in MH  treatment the last 3 1/2 years.

Edited by Buck52