VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

is it better to choose a VSO or lawyer to appeal Claim ?

Rate this question

Paulgraff11

Question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

That depends.  My take:

If you have a denial at the VARO, then file a nod yourself.  

If you then have a denial at the BVA, hire Chris Attig.  

Reasons:

To appeal a BVA denial, you have to go to the CAVC. You dont want to go there to a gun fight with a knife, because VA will be represented by a laywer against you.  However, at the BVA, BVA cases are "ex parte" which means the VA wont be represented by a lawyer.  

Importantly, CAVC usually awards EAJA fees to successful Vets, so a BVA denial is the perfect time to hire an attorney (because EAJA will pay your lawyer fees).  Chris Attig represents me, and I think you would be pleased.  

Remember, VSO's sign an agreement there job is to help VA, NOT YOU.  (They dont tell you that, they make you think they are here to help YOU).  I dont think you want a representative hired by your opponent at law.  (The VA tries to make us beleive they are on our side..if they were, why would they deny you, and then hire 500 lawyers to defend their denial???

Thanks for the info Do appreciate it this helps me alot 

11 minutes ago, broncovet said:

That depends.  My take:

If you have a denial at the VARO, then file a nod yourself.  

If you then have a denial at the BVA, hire Chris Attig.  

Reasons:

To appeal a BVA denial, you have to go to the CAVC. You dont want to go there to a gun fight with a knife, because VA will be represented by a laywer against you.  However, at the BVA, BVA cases are "ex parte" which means the VA wont be represented by a lawyer.  

Importantly, CAVC usually awards EAJA fees to successful Vets, so a BVA denial is the perfect time to hire an attorney (because EAJA will pay your lawyer fees).  Chris Attig represents me, and I think you would be pleased.  

Remember, VSO's sign an agreement there job is to help VA, NOT YOU.  (They dont tell you that, they make you think they are here to help YOU).  I dont think you want a representative hired by your opponent at law.  (The VA tries to make us beleive they are on our side..if they were, why would they deny you, and then hire 500 lawyers to defend their denial???

Thanks for the info this helps me alot since this process is new to me and trying to get all my ducks in a row and I would not take no for a answer got to keep in the fight sorta speaking Thank you 

I do like Chris Attig, but, make no mistake:  There are about 25 million Veterans, and a few hundred attorneys who represent Vets.  So, they dont take all cases, you often have to apply to multiple attorneys.  Understand, a attorney who represents you basically lends you quite a bit of money..he will have to pay his salary and his secretraries, plus expenses for a considerable time until you win your case.  

See the pro's here:

https://www.vetadvocates.org/cpages/awards-and-honors