VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

mental health exam and aid and attendance

Rate this question

andrewdc

Question

Will the VA automatically consider SMC L if the outcome of my mental health exam indicates that I require regular care due to my memory issues? I'm currently smc s + k.  The examiner indicated I met criteria for total social and occupational impairment and stated several times that my mental conditions (memory deficit, anxiety, and depression)  requires my wife to taker care of my daily needs such as cooking, medicine management, finances,  driving to appts, ect

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yes, it is supposed to be inferred if you are 100% +60%, or, in your case, when the notes stipulate something specific such as your occupational and social impairment. They may do Housebound, instead, but I think they are the same rate, or very similar. 

CAS

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Not sure what the exam was for but I’m pretty sure you have to file for it specifically and if he didn’t fill out an aid and attendance application it’s just in records I have all sorts of records such as my wife regulates my meds and schedules my appointments they didn’t automatically give me SMC. But it’s good evidence for whenever you do file for. Unlike SMC S that they do give you if you meet the 100 and 60 requirement I know I never filed for it. Another tip file on ebenefits add new disability and search special monthly compensation and file FDC submit your specific records that state your need for aid. They may send you to a C and P regardless.

Just now, brokensoldier244th said:

Yes, it is supposed to be inferred if you are 100% +60%, or, in your case, when the notes stipulate something specific such as your occupational and social impairment. 

CAS

Not SMC S and SMC L are two different animals S is inferred L isn’t.

2 hours ago, andrewdc said:

Will the VA automatically consider SMC L if the outcome of my mental health exam indicates that I require regular care due to my memory issues? I'm currently smc s + k.  The examiner indicated I met criteria for total social and occupational impairment and stated several times that my mental conditions (memory deficit, anxiety, and depression)  requires my wife to taker care of my daily needs such as cooking, medicine management, finances,  driving to appts, ect

Not sure about the L but don't be surprised if/when they decide you need a fiduciary. 

2 minutes ago, jfrei said:

Not sure what the exam was for but I’m pretty sure you have to file for it specifically and if he didn’t fill out an aid and attendance application it’s just in records I have all sorts of records such as my wife regulates my meds and schedules my appointments they didn’t automatically give me SMC. But it’s good evidence for whenever you do file for. Unlike SMC S that they do give you if you meet the 100 and 60 requirement I know I never filed for it. Another tip file on ebenefits add new disability and search special monthly compensation and file FDC submit your specific records that state your need for aid. They may send you to a C and P regardless.

Not SMC S and SMC L are two different animals S is inferred L isn’t.

Thanks for catching that. I am SMC Housebound, and assumed A and A was similar. My bad. 

Seminoles- As for a fiduciary, they never suggested one for me. *shrug*

Edited by brokensoldier244th