VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

not a Q but a STATEMENT about the power of an IMO/IME

Rate this question

paulcolrain

Question

im currently writing my award time frame and my success story for this Great Veterans Blog Information site.

but, in the mean time i want to stress and admit that all the others here stressed to me ,,,, if you get any type of small retro and believe your going further in your VA quest for benefits you deserve. please please,,, do your self a favor and save $2,500 and get an IMO/IME... it is the world of difference... if i can say that 1 of the 5 most important things ive learned here on this site is,,, the importance of realizing that a C and P exam will never get you there no matter your evidence. please take this advice and save up to get your imo/ime and then get your win from the VA.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, Buck52 said:

I have learned over the years never mention a claim to the VA Dr's ,Just ask questions about your condition wisely and keep asking questions show to be  concerned about your medical condition, the Dr's will slip up on some things not realizing your getting valuable medical information from them.

say things like so Dr my condition could be related to or the cause of some of the medications I take right? should I keep doing the things I am doing or ask for a different medication to try?  ect,,,ect,,, just generally keep the conversation intact to the issues at hand....never mention a claim, After 3 days go back to Myhealthvet and see what the Dr put in his/her report on the last appointment visit  each time...eventually you will be surprised at what the VA Dr Mention...some times its just what you need as medical evidence to help substantiate  your claim.

I have never mentioned anything like that to my mh providers, they are horrible.  My neurologist will help me with anything I need.  He has had my husband trained to give me injections at home so I don't have to go to the ER, written letters for me, etc. He is the head of neurology and it isn't uncommon for him to secure message me on a Saturday or call me to check on me.  Some providers are amazing like that and then there are the 75% of the crappy ones.

I always take my conditions face value to the VA Doc. I make my complaint about the condition, and they respond with treatment options (if the dont ignore it). This creates a record you can monitor in your Health-EVets account and you can download it in the "blue button" reports. Results from tests, xrays and examinations are all included in the reports. This is a huge help for an IMO. The more you get your VA Doc to do for you to document your condition, the less the IMO Doc has to do to give you a valid opinion based on clinical evidence provided by the VA. They also allow you do download the actual xray and MRI's images now which can be copied to a CD or a thumb drive and taken where ever you want to take them (Non-VA Doc's giving IMO will use that too).

The Blue Button Report is an invaluable tool you can use to document your condition.

• HadIt.com Elder

good post pwrslm Thats what I was trying to relay in my post above.

Also I might add too

Go to Myhealthvet and

USE THE SECURE MESSAGES to your VA PCP or the clinical provider that you use if in a VA specialty clinic  , they go into more details...just from my experience.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:19 PM, pwrslm said:

I always take my conditions face value to the VA Doc. I make my complaint about the condition, and they respond with treatment options (if the dont ignore it).

@pwrslm

My current PCP is a nurse who literally wrote in my file asking me (like she was responding to my secure message) if I wanted to be treated for a condition I discussed with her in the office two weeks earlier. She literally thought I brought up being in daily pain as a conversation item. DERP>

The only way I found out was I looked at the Blue Button notes two weeks after the office visit and one week after I sent her a secure message asking why I did not see a referral in my file. She literally wrote her response inline in the notes with my description of the problem.

There is an new MD due in next month and I am supposed to be transferred to him. I cannot wait, he almost has to be better than she is. In the mean time I am still waiting for that referral, even after 5 secure messages asking for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

some times the Hospital Director can intervene on referrals  when your PCP won't give a referral, that's sad but true

I needed to see a urologist and ask my PCP to refer..well she kept puttin it off and  would say I don't think you need a referral,  lets wait and see if the meds I prescribe you helps....  lets give them a chance (swollen prostate) 

FINALLY though the secure message on myhealthvet I ask her to please get me a referral  no response

I went to the hospital director office and let him know about all this  and the next day I got a call from the urology clinic setting me up an appointment.

Some of the VA Dr's don't give 2 cents if we get proper healthcare or not  but they want that fat paycheck.

Every Veteran really needs to look out for his own well being and that includes proper healthcare.

dont be afraid to speak up and use the proper channels if you need them...for me it was the hospital director...

Also I had a problem with travel pay one time and the travel pay window clerk was of no help...I had to go see the travel pay director....I always tell them I don't mean to be a trouble maker but I can't get any assist from your travel pay window clerk  and you was my last resort.  he got it all straighten out.

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

dont be afraid to speak up and use the proper channels

@buck52

Thanks for your response. I am done waiting for the VA and staff to do the right thing and I am looking for the proper ways to address certain things.

Another example of  the problem is that in the "notes" section I see under Blue Button, the PCP has made statements that are patently false. She has written after my appointment, that I refused certain things. Things that never came up in our conversation. The intake nurse at the local clinic did the same thing.

The only "method" i have to dispute those statements is through secure messaging to document my objection. She has so far been unwilling or uninterested in correcting the record. She is more interested is claiming she didn't make a mistake and that I did "say those things".

I am collecting them now for evidence of my attempts to keep the record clean and hoping that the 'new' guy shows up on schedule and I am transferred to his care. If not I will take these messages to the Director and if that does not get things rectified I will figure out which person is above the Director and what I have to do to have my file annotated with my objections.