Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Sailorman

Received BVA decision

Question

Good afternoon! 

I received the BBE from the BVA and all of my contentions were remanded by the BVA Judge.  I’m fine with the remand; however, I believe the judge made an error writing my decision and I wanted to pick some brains. 

Two of my contentions, my right and left ankles were on appeal for a higher rating of 10 percent each.  The judge remanded both ankles for and entitlement to initial rating in excess of 20 percent each. 

I wonder if the 20 percent is a typo or if the judge is directing the RO to begin the rating at 20 percent after the C&Ps.  Have anyone seen this type of decision before?

Thank you!

Edited by Sailorman

Is it possible you can post the remand?  Redacted of course.  It sounds interesting and there are some folks here with a lot of knowledge.

Thanks where are they at? This site used to be saturated with knowledgeable people. 

This is kinda the trouble with Remands:  Its a "round trip ticket" to the hamster wheel.  As far as I know, the Veterans claim can be remanded, then the VARO denies, the Veteran appeals, the BVA remands again, and again, and again...just like the hamster wheel...where its spinning to fast to get off the wheel.  

Unfortuantely, you can not appeal a remand...you have no choice but to wait until VARO gets a "round tuit", and maybe decides to implement this remand, that is, to render a new decision.  Yes, you can appeal a denial, disability percentage, or effective date on any finally adjuticated decision.  

The good part about remands is this often means you can submit "new and material evidence" (38 cfr 3.156 b) and it will be effective "at the beginning of the appeal period."  THIS IS HUGE.  Example:

You get a remand on the two ankle issues.   You get an IMO doctor to show that the criteria more closely approximates 50 percent ratings for each.  You submit this IMO opinion, as N and m evidence, AND THE IMO DOCTOR MAKES IT CLEAR that your disability BEGAN (when you first applied).  This means, if awarded, you should get the earliest effective date, and you dont have to meet the "cue" criteria!!!

23 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Unfortuantely, you can not appeal a remand...you have no choice but to wait until VARO gets a "round tuit", and maybe decides to implement this remand, that is, to render a new decision.  Yes, you can appeal a denial, disability percentage, or effective date on any finally adjuticated decision.  

You can appeal to the Federal Court of Appeals for your district under three circumstances.  Clear and unmistakable error, arbitrary and capricious action (that hamster wheel if the Agency of Original essentially makes the same denial), and failure to assist if as in my case the VA Health Division didn't supply repeatedly requested evidence (such as radiographic film or other data upon which reports have been made without an etiology opinion).  Actually that third falls under the second but I purposely stated it as a third to demonstrate what arbitrary and capricious acts look like.

Comer v Peake:  "We have jurisdiction pursuant to 38
U.S.C. § 7292."

Cook v. Principi, 318 F.3d 1334 (Fed. Cir., 2002) “There are, however, two statutory exceptions to the rule of finality. First, pursuant to 38 U.S.C. § 5108, the Secretary must reopen a claim "f new and material evidence [regarding the claim] is presented or secured." Second, a decision "is subject to revision on the grounds of clear and unmistakable error." 38 U.S.C. §§ 5109A (decision by the Secretary) & 7111 (decision by the Board). These are the only statutory exceptions to the finality of VA decisions.”

It takes a $500.00 filing fee or a Forma Paupers claim to file a "Petition to Review" at the Federal Court of Appeals.  The administrative decision is supposed to be a finale decision but the "hamster wheel" provides the arbitrary and capricious mode to Petition a Review of an Agency Decision.

Attached are two Petitions I filed with the 10th Circuit, the Clerk's Orders in response, and my responses in draft form to date to the Clerk's Orders.

Just because I filed and responded to the Clerk's Orders doesn't mean it will get a hearing before the Court.  Have to wait to see what the Respondent comes up with in response to the Orders and then reply to that searching their case citations for opposing citations and relying upon Section 4 of the 14 Amendment, the 5th Amendment holding that "Time of War" and "Public Danger" means the inability of the Courts in their Jurisdictions cannot function not "on active duty" as has been held previously under the Article I citation without seeing Article 5 as limiting the inability to get a 7th Amendment District Court Jury Trier of Fact to get off that hamster wheel.

I'm delaying filing although I'm almost finished so that the Respondents won't have my Briefs to work from for their initial required Briefs.

As you can see, I'm arguing finality from my age of 77 and "arbitrary and capricious acts" depriving me of a prompt access to the CAVC for a decision at that level which could be then appealed to the FCA if necessary.  I'll try to remember to post on this thread the results as they come in.

20180914 FILED BCNR pet with clerk ltr.pdf

20180914 FILED BVA review c ltr.pdf

20180917 10th Order BCNR review.pdf

20180918 Clerk Order BVA review.pdf

20181001 10th Brief review BCNR tolling.pdf

20181001 Brief BVA 20170511.wbk.pdf

Thanks a million gentleman. You left me a lot to research. I’m beginning now. I truly appreciate both of your assistance. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kent101
      I started my first va disability claim in 2010. It was for sinusitis and rhinitis. I only had a few medical records documenting that I said I had sinusitis and rhinitis. The first doctor didn't agree it was from my service. So I didn't get the nexus. I appealed and it went back to the VARO for a review. After a year or so It came back and I put in for the BVA appeal.
      I got my C&P exam last year after a remand. recently I found out that everything I asked for was granted from VA.gov appeals history section. It says updates take one to two months. I don't know what ratings I got because the website doesn't have that information on it. Does anyone know if the one to two months is accurate for update to disability rating? 
      Thanks to those of you contributing information that helped me figure things out.
    • By Sgt. Creech
      Hey all, 
      In December 2019, I received a decision for my appeal to be remanded back to my regional office. I was scheduled appointments there after and in march of this year I called to check on the status of my claim and I was informed that my file is awaiting review for a decision. my question is how long does this process take... I'm getting tired of fight the VA I have been at this sense 2011!!!!
    • By MarkInTexas
      Well folks, I finally crossed the goal line that I have been moving the ball toward since I started this adventure in 2010.  A few days ago, I saw all kinds of crazy activity on eBenefits and VA.gov as I went to check on my slow shuffle in the BVA line.  I had already had my hearing and had several claims granted, and was waiting for the VA to move forward on the granted conditions, or see if they were were going to handle the remaining two remanded conditions that didn't amount to much anyway.
      I was sitting back with something like 33,000 claims still ahead of me in the slow march, so I was surprised to see an attorney fee determination claim pop up out of nowhere.  I called my attorney and left a message with his office.  He called me back a couple of days later excited and says that it looks like I'm about to join the Chapter 35 Club and that they will be retro'ing my EED back to my original claim dates.  He said to watch for the mail, and as usual to never trust eBenefits, which I don't, but I still do go to, which I know I shouldn't, but I do.  Y'all know what I mean.
      Anyway, a couple of days later, I get a nice retro in my account, and see that eBenefits is showing 100%, and the letter generator shows the same with the famous language of permanent and total with no future exams scheduled included in the letter.
      I noticed all of the BVA granted conditions were showing as service connected, except for one, so I'm assuming they are still working on that little one.  Also the two remanded conditions have not been decided yet either.  One called for a records review in the BVA remand decision and the other for a C&P, so since we now live in a COVID-19 world, who knows how that will work out?
      So anyway, I'm sitting and waiting on the one granted remaining and two remanded, but everything online shows green lights.  I did notice that there is are now two "new" claims open in my eBenefits, one still for the attorney fee determination and one for a "STR-Medical", and when I go to it, it says the claim is a regulatory and procedural review.  I'm hoping that some of y'all know what that means.
      I know that nothing is super "official" until I get the big brown envelope, or white, or brown and white....whatever the VA has in stock at the time, but it is a relief to finally be near the end of the tunnel that started with a VONAPP submission to the VA.  Yeah, I said it...VONAPP......the claims are that old.
      I know I've said it before, but I will say it again.  I joined this site back in 2012, and it has provided a wealth of knowledge, counseling and peace of mind, and also served as a place to ventilate.  I couldn't have made it without the help of you folks.  I also have to say that Asknod's e-book on Amazon saved me tons of trouble in the beginning, and it as handy as a pocket on a shirt as you navigate through the process.
      Thanks to all of you, and I wish you peace, good health and happiness.  I'll be back and forth on here still to check in, and maybe give some advice or get some advice.  Thank you all for your service, both in the military and now.  God bless each and every one of you.
      Mark

• By RF-4Cmike
      My appeal for PTSD was "Remanded".
    • By Jamezam
      This post is about seeking the best advice for my next step(s). I'll try to be as succinct as possible, however, we are talking about the VA compensation process.  
      I received a BVA decision in December 2018, most appeals were denied, however, the important one’s, back increase (40%) and SC for migraine headaches, although zero percent, were granted and the BVA judge also stated:
      TDIU: VA treatment records have raised the issue of TDIU as part and parcel of the claims for increased rating; the Veteran has submitted several records indicating findings by VA that he is not employable at present due to his service-connected disabilities. This claim has not yet been adjudicated, and further, in light of grants of service connection and increased rating herein, required additional development.
      I currently have a total rating of 60% and the VARO TDIU decision states:
      Entitlement to individual unemployability is denied because you have not been found unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service-connected disabilities. This case has not been submitted for extra-schedular consideration because  the evidence fails to show you are unemployable due to service connected disabilities. (38 CFR 4.16).
      I received a fully favorable decision for SSDI by the Social Security Administration and VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services States:
      After carefully reviewing the evidence, I have determined that it is not reasonable to expect you to be able to train for or get a suitable job at this time.
      I had a VA/social security attorney, whom I felt was not meeting my needs as there was very limited communication on their part, I’d filed a complaint with them letting them know, I didn’t need hand holding, however I do expect my representative to take action on the BVA decision, appeals, CUE, etc. It seemed like they weren’t interested in working on my behalf, and I kind of felt like they were just waiting for a positive VA decision so they could get paid. I am completely aware VA things take time, and I’ve been battling the VA for three decades now.
      Anyway, I decided to contact CC&K and they informed me they aren’t interested in taking my case. I’ve already filed a NOD and I have no idea what’s going on with the VARO remand response to the BVA.
      I’m almost sure, I can win an increase for my migraine headaches rating and entitlement to TDIU via pro se representation. However, I would love to have some assistance and not sure if I should keep contacting attorney’s, VSO, forum buddy, or go on my own. I’ve only had one attorney in all the years I’ve been pursuing my VA compensation rights, my previous VA claims were won on my own, and I’m almost positive both my SSDI and BVA claims were granted without any assistance from the attorney. They got their VA 20% and SSA $6,000, so I figure were good and it was time to terminate our agreement and move on.
      Thanks in advance…

• Ads

• Our picks

• I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 3 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 4 replies
    • VA has a special where we can ask questions TODAY, at 3:00 to "people that matter?"  Someone should ask why we can not ask them questions EVERY day, why today only? (This is a big problem with VA..the 800 number often does not give specific answers).  We should have people in VA who "solve Vets problems" like Allison Hickey did a few years ago. 
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines