VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SSDI?....

Rate this question

Bluntly

Question

Is it true or has anyone heard the saying that "no news is good news"?.....if so please enlighten me on this. This is what i was told by one of the agents on the phone 1800#

Currently waiting for a hearing but believe i may have a fully favorable decision before my hearing. Did anyone else have a decision decided before the hearing while waiting to be scheduled for one, please enlighten me on this process also.

Edited by Bluntly

Berta, 

Well once again I must somewhat disagree with you, so let me apologize in advance.  I mean no ill will, just that I have a different opinion, based on a little knowledge and a little experience.

First, there is a five month mandatory wait period for SSDI benefits.  But if you subtract five months from the date of disability, that is your potential start date.  This is certainly much different than the VA system which does not allow retroactive payments in most circumstances.

You then state that the awards are 'in essence, an independent medical opinion that determines one can no longer work due to their disability'.  I would proffer that if you take out the term 'medical' from that quote you would be more accurate.

Outside of myself, no one opined that I was disabled and could not work.  Certainly there was no medical opinion (diagnosis) that stated I was unable to work.  This was solely my decision, a decision I consider rational and substantial.  But when I made my decision I applied for SSDI.  I was initially denied, so I did the natural thing for me, which was to appeal.

At my hearing I testified that my condition rendered me unable to work.  I then provided the Administrative Law Judge a copy of my Military Medical File and my VA medical file.  (Actually I offered them into evidence and at the conclusion the assistant made copies for the record, and he was hesitant because of their voluminous content, but I assured him I wanted every page there for the Judge to review.)

Well I won my appeal and I contend for one simple reason: the facts showed that the symptoms of my condition prevented me from obtaining employment.  

Now if only things were that easy with the VA.  But the VA is a whole new world, and not a friendly world at that!  

You posted, 

This is certainly much different than the VA system which does not allow retroactive payments in most circumstances.

Yes, VA allows retro payments, in fact, most Vets wind up with retro when they get an award.  You are certainly correct that ssdi and va are very different.  The VA's general rule about effective dates (that is, for retro) is the later of the date of claim, or facts found (which usually means the date the doc said you became disabled, if different than the date you applied).  

There is mostly only one "special circumstance" however, that allows you to be paid BEFORE you applied.  That special circumstance is if you apply for benefits within a year of exit from service.  Then you can get benefits (retro) backdated to the date you got out of service.  Otherwise, you will never get retro before your apply.  

Are we talking SSDI?

Then, yes, you can settle ahead of the date you would meet with the Judge if you have representation.

My wife was denied twice, and in Wisconsin, at that time there was a 18 month wait to see the Judge.

Three months after giving us are date, which was 18 months out, we did settle.  My wife would receive disability payments, minus the SIX month waiting period, and we agreed she would not to go on Medicare until she turned 50 which was 32 months away.  Basically, you don't get Medicare for the first 24 months anyway, so we had to wait an additional 8 months.  However, she got disability payments about a year earlier and we had employer insurance at that time, so it worked out.

As a side note, age plays a big role in SSDI.  Age 50 was a big factor on getting approval for the Medicare part of SSDI.

Also, we used a paralegal service which took 20% of retro, which turned out to be $1200.00 of the $6000.00 we got. One and a half month of disability payments took care of that, so, the 20% was well worth the deal making.  And you need representation to get a chance to negotiate. 

They (SSDI) don't do that with us ordinary people.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

Hey everyone just stopping by to update u on my quest thru the ssa system. Just checked my online account and now i have a hearing date finally on 3/14/2019. It took close to 3 years for this date but still more waiting to go....that light is getting brighter at the end of this tunnel

Hey, Hadit family just stopping by to update yall on my process. As of the 18th of this month my case is with a decision writer. My case is flagged as critical and things seems to be moving right along. I cant tell u how bad my anxiety is thru the roof on waiting for the final decision. September will be 3 years of this drawn out waiting game.

Just heard the news i didnt want to hear DENIED. I called my local office and the man i spoke to said it was just entered in the system this morning. Then called the Odar office and the lady gave me a different response which was a decision has not been made yet. For now i just got to wait on this mail and i had checked my online account. It has updated to appeal under review and a decision been made. Just dont know what to think or feel right now, my lawyer havent been responding maybe because he know it was denied smh another 100 percent vet p&t

Edited by Bluntly