VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro claim Rare Condition

Rate this question

mow59

Question

will try and keep this short and simple if possible.

2000 was rated for a TBI (SC) 10%,  my vertigo was considered a residual of it, No diagnosis for ear disease; just Hearing loss and  tinnitus (most symptoms listed as psychosomatic).

2017 diagnosed with a rare condition SCDS. (not discovered until 1998, and still not known in medical community.     Ear disorder.. Surgery to repair and now have residuals if not some of original symptoms.

VA claim in now for the SCDS and vertigo residuals of surgery,, any chance of them relating  my original vertigo symptoms to the ear disease and giving me retro back pay from my retirement claim? unusual case. there was no way for me to got diagnosis at that time because of the rarity of the condition.  

thanks

On 9/25/2018 at 10:07 AM, Berta said:

I found nothing at tyhe BVA on this rare condition.

So i googled it and this info popped up first:

"What causes superior canal dehiscence (SCD)? The true cause ofcanal dehiscence syndrome is unknown. The dehiscence may, at least in part, be congenital (present from birth) and may have occurred during the development of the inner ear. It can also be caused from certain infections as well as head trauma.

Superior Canal Dehiscence (SCD) | Cleveland Clinic"

It does state that head trauma (TBI) is one potential cause but if the C & P doc googles it and sees this first link he/she m,might go with "congenital" in order to deny the claim. Did this start with the TBI incident or prior to that?

yes  started directly after the accident,, had cp exam,,,looks like they are going secondary service connection,, what ever that means,,   written that its in proximtal of the tbi.... right now waiting,, read the report,,, confusing for me..

I agree with Bronco.  Get it service connected, then worry about the rest.

Even at 0% there is a lot to be gained.  If the VA rates your malady at 0 because there is nothing similar in the rating reg for it, but agrees that service caused it, you can then go after secondary issues related to you SCDS that are in the reg and ratable.

I have a couple conditions rated at 0%, but because I have them I have two secondary conditions rated at 20% and 30%.

For me, the best date I get is when the VA had the evidence (usually with my claims).  Same for a re-open, which I won, you only get the date of the new evidence.  I would think a new disease or recognition of a new disease and you're have it would be the earliest, and when you make that claim.  Unless the VA was knowingly hiding something, but then that's a whole other thing.

Hamslice

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, Berta said:

I found nothing at tyhe BVA on this rare condition.

So i googled it and this info popped up first:

"What causes superior canal dehiscence (SCD)? The true cause ofcanal dehiscence syndrome is unknown. The dehiscence may, at least in part, be congenital (present from birth) and may have occurred during the development of the inner ear. It can also be caused from certain infections as well as head trauma.

Superior Canal Dehiscence (SCD) | Cleveland Clinic"

It does state that head trauma (TBI) is one potential cause but if the C & P doc googles it and sees this first link he/she m,might go with "congenital" in order to deny the claim. Did this start with the TBI incident or prior to that?

hello,  sorry on late response,, claim in and they are listing it as proximately to the concussion tbi.(secondary aggravated service connection, which has a TBI section but doesn't mention my specific injury)

Proximately definition states , at the same time but a different injury) (  She did google it and stated that head trauma is a cause and that I displayed no symptoms prior to the accident, and symptoms of the syndrome after the accident).. looks good to me but I'm a rookie at this.....  no symptoms prior to car accident,, symptoms after.

claim in ,,cp exams completed,, now waiting but curious