VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Mrdbraggs

Question

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME MAKE SENSE OF THE RESULTS OF MY C&P EXAM FOR IU?

LOCAL TITLE: COMP & PEN MENTAL HEALTH/PSYCHOLOGY EXAM STANDARD TITLE: PSYCHOLOGY C & P EXAMINATION CONSULT
DATE OF NOTE: SEP 07, 2018@09:00 ENTRY DATE: SEP 10, 2018@13:29:26 

AUTHOR: HILBORN,ROBERT S EXP COSIGNER: URGENCY: STATUS: COMPLETED 

Mental Disorders
(other than PTSD and Eating Disorders) 

Disability Benefits Questionnaire Name of patient/Veteran: Derick 

Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination 

Request?
[X] Yes [ ] No 

SECTION I: ---------- 

1. Diagnosis
------------
a. Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental 

disorder(s)? [X] Yes [ ] No 

ICD code: Bipolar I Disorder 

If the Veteran currently has one or more mental disorders that conform to DSM-5 criteria, provide all diagnoses: 

Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Bipolar I Disorder Comments, if any: 

The Veteran is currently service connected at 70% for Bipolar Disorder. He was not diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder until after service, though he has several markers identified during service, including periods of  

3. Occupational and social impairment -------------------------------------
a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational
and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one) 

[X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood 

b. For the indicated occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate which impairment is caused by each mental disorder?
[ ] Yes [ ] No [X] Not Applicable (N/A) 

3. Symptoms
-----------
For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses: 

[X] Depressed mood
[X] Anxiety
[X] Suspiciousness
[X] Near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function 

independently, appropriately and effectively
[X] Chronic sleep impairment
[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent 

events
[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social 

relationships
[X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a worklike setting  

The veteran verbally consented to the exam and did not express any concerns. 

The Veteran currently meets DSM-5 criteria for a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder that is more likely than not caused by or a result of his military service, given obvious markers for Bipolar Disorder during service, and no  reported mood symptoms or treatment thereof prior to service. His mood symptoms impact his ability to function effectively. As such, his current
level of impairment is best described as, occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, and mood.

Edited by Mrdbraggs
Added complete sentence

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships. 70
Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships. 50
Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events). 30
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication. 10
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication. 0

I DON'T SEE AN INCREASE IF YOUR AT 70% AT PRESENT? FOR THIS MENTAL DISORDER? BASED ON WHAT THE EXAMINER PUT 

X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mOOD  .....>THIS IS 70%

You titled this TDIU.  Do you want to apply for TDIU?  You can with your current exam if you are not working and have lost a job due to your disability or you are working in a manner that is considered marginal employment.

• HadIt.com Elder

Apply for IU is a request for increase.

But as Vetquest mention if this  s.c.disability keeps you from doing any type of work or doing any type of marginal employment.

Request IU. you need a letter from your Dr to opine that your S.C. Disability is the reason you can't work  ect,,,ect,,  you might check out VA Voc-Rehab  Thats a start on the road to IU. 

If the Voc-Rehab counselor can't find you any type job , then usually they declare you unfeasible to retain at this time..  &.that letter will certainly help you get the IU.

If your able to work  I recommend that and be happy with the 70% comp.

• HadIt.com Elder

This needs to say ''TOTAL'' at the bottom.

your  redacted copy of your exam below

''Posted Thursday at 11:27 PM(edited)''

''CAN SOMEONE HELP ME MAKE SENSE OF THE RESULTS OF MY C&P EXAM FOR IU?''

''LOCAL TITLE: COMP & PEN MENTAL HEALTH/PSYCHOLOGY EXAM STANDARD TITLE: PSYCHOLOGY C & P EXAMINATION CONSULT
DATE OF NOTE: SEP 07, 2018@09:00 ENTRY DATE: SEP 10, 2018@13:29:26 ''

''AUTHOR: HILBORN,ROBERT S EXP COSIGNER: URGENCY: STATUS: COMPLETED ''

''Mental Disorders''
(other than PTSD and Eating Disorders) ''

''Disability Benefits Questionnaire Name of patient/Veteran: Derick ''

''Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination ''

Request?
[X] Yes [ ] No 

SECTION I: ---------- 

1. Diagnosis
------------
a. Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental 

disorder(s)? [X] Yes [ ] No 

ICD code: Bipolar I Disorder 

If the Veteran currently has one or more mental disorders that conform to DSM-5 criteria, provide all diagnoses: 

Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Bipolar I Disorder Comments, if any: 

The Veteran is currently service connected at 70% for Bipolar Disorder. He was not diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder until after service, though he has several markers identified during service, including periods of  

3. Occupational and social impairment -------------------------------------
a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational
and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one) 

[X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood  .....>this is a 70% rating check the Mental Health Chart above.

Edited by Buck52

If you are already on SSI or SSDI ask the VA to acquire your records from Social Security right now if you have not already.  While your C&P is not really what you need for TDIU your SS records would most likely be what you need without getting an IMO.  They will show that you are unable to work.  If you weren't granted outright and had to go before a judge it would carry more weight.  If you can try to get some buddy statements as to how difficult it is for you to work, preferably from a previous employer if you left on good terms.  I would also try to get one from your psychiatrist.  It should show the psychiatrist's qualifications and should say that you are totally disabled due to your bipolar condition that you acquired in the military.  It should also show your current GAF.

You might need to take this to the BVA as the RO's are barely competent.  In my case they ignored my SSI records and buddy statements and I had to go to the BVA before anyone read them.  It took me ten years but that is not usually the norm.