VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Posting here as closest related topic

slangpdx

Question

I was awarded 70% SC in 2010.  Was just awarded SSDI in July.  I opted out of Medicare Part B immediately because of expense and because the health care expenses I use outside the VA would not be covered by Medicare anyway (alternative practitioners).   I am considering opting out of Part A also because I have read either here or elsewhere that if the VA knows you have any other type of insurance strange things start happening such as cancellation of appointments with one day notice that were made six months earlier, etc. in an attempt to force the vet to use their coverage elsewhere.  I do not want to rock any boats.  To the extent the above occurs it could be VA site specific I suppose; I use the Portland Oregon VAMC, which is generally a cut above the average from what I can tell though I have witnessed three vets busting out of the Patient Advocate office while waiting for records requests to be filled screaming to whoever will listen about what is happening to them.  

Anyone with any knowledge of the VA vs.  outside insurance issue please advise.  

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Dont opt out of Part A.  There is no compelling reason to do so.  Yes, I have medicare advantage, and yes, VA (may) bill medicare advantage for some portion of my care, but its affect on me is exactly "0".  

I suggest the next time you go to the VA, and check in the kiosk, you tell VA about your part a coverage.  

Dont worry about stuff  like this:

I am considering opting out of Part A also because I have read either here or elsewhere that if the VA knows you have any other type of insurance strange things start happening such as cancellation of appointments with one day notice that were made six months earlier, etc. 

Yes, appointments sometimes get cancelled that were made months earlier, but that has nothing to do with Part A.  It has more to do with a doctor getting sick, taking vacation, getting fired, or quitting which means you could have to be rescheduled.  

• HadIt.com Elder

BRONCOVET,

I don't know if I am understanding this whole thing here?

I have medicare and I told my VA clinic clerks I have it and they scan my medicare card in the machine....but I also have a supplement to the medicare....but since I never use it I cancel this supplement  it was with mutual of Omaha....

do I need to tell the VA I Cancel this supplement?

I was paying like 130.00 monthly for it that I never was using...I use VA for all my healthcare...so for I have not had to use the medicare   but someday I may need too...but that supplement was just a waist of good money.  jmo

Edited by Buck52

I opted out of B for the same reasons, you did........I have A, which is at no cost and have since 2009.  I am 100% PT through the VA, and have never had anyone messing around with me about canceling appointments.  The only problems I have are when providers leave, etc.  Keep your A and when you get to retirement age add the B (you won't be charged the penalty then) if you choose, that is my plan if things haven't changed giving us more choices.  I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars a month for service connected disabilities through medicare plus the copays and meds.  THAT is a bs scam  imo.

1 hour ago, seminoles said:

I opted out of B for the same reasons, you did........I have A, which is at no cost and have since 2009.  I am 100% PT through the VA, and have never had anyone messing around with me about canceling appointments.  The only problems I have are when providers leave, etc.  Keep your A and when you get to retirement age add the B (you won't be charged the penalty then) if you choose, that is my plan if things haven't changed giving us more choices.  I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars a month for service connected disabilities through medicare plus the copays and meds.  THAT is a bs scam  imo.

--Keep your A and when you get to retirement age add the B (you won't be charged the penalty then)--

That was my thinking also, but now I am confused as to if the penalty applies from "the first date you are Medicare eligible", from SSDI and not from declining it at 65.  Do you know for sure about this?  thanks

I took both A & B since there was no cost to me. My wife and I like to travel in our RV and there are a lot of times that there is not a VA facility close. While I am eligible for Veterans Choice it can be a hassle actually getting the bills paid at times. I figure having Medicare is there for emergency use and it sometimes helps by having a civilian doc to double check the VA docs. I have never had appointments cancelled because of it.

Edited by bobz