VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radiology purge by VA

Rate this question

Berta

Question

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2018/10/02/cancellation-of-250k-va-radiology-orders-raises-questions/

This is serious-

In part:

VA is engaged in a massive purge of its radiology backlist resulting in mass cancellation of hundreds of thousands of radiology orders leaving some veterans without the imaging they require. Of course, it takes no one a lot of thought to recognize the Department of Veterans Affairs is really great at creating backlogs and then […]

and:

"Cancellations of more than 250,000 radiology orders at VA hospitals across the country since 2016 have raised questions about whether – in a rush to clear out outdated and duplicate diagnostic orders – some facilities failed to follow correct procedures. At issue is a concern over whether some medically necessary orders for CT scans and other imaging tests were canceled improperly."

Not only could this lead to vets not being properly diagnosed and treated, it also means that vets might be unable to produce past radiology info ,to support their claims.

I wonder if ECHOs were being cancelled ....????

I called the WH Hot line in July with a complaint and heard from VA OAWP yesterday. We had quite a discussion and it might take my time away here for a few days, in order to send them some evidence I have, that I have been griping to VA about for years, and now might well be considered- this has nothing to do with any claims-I am a non VA employee whistleblower.

Then again, per the article fgrom Ben Krause above---

if I had not found a X Ray of my husband, in the record, my 1151 HBP claim might have been denied.

I also had to threaten to call my Congressman to get him a CT scan,that  revealed his diagnosis for 3 weeks hospitalized, was ALL wrong.

He also had a fully abnormal ECHO that VA never told him or me about.

I was wondering if I would even hear back from the WH Hot line complaint.But they sent it to the right VA people at VACO.

I hope none of you have had any type of radiology test cancelled , that VA failed to re-order -to be done.

Edited by Berta

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Its part of a much bigger problem:  Corruption inside VA.  

The cause is an inept, uncontrolled, unaudited, non accountable VAOIG.  When the fox guards the hen house, why are we suprised when chickens go missing and never seen again?  

And, its also caused by a far too powerful union, where union membership is mandantory in order to work for VA.  It means that lawyers can sue whenever an employee is discharged, and usually win because the boss was not a lawyer familiar with how to fire someone.  

Edited by broncovet

I have private insurance and use the VA as little as possible due to this.  Most of the nurses at the local station are really great but the front office staff are noncommittal to rude.  They know they cannot be fired and treat you the veteran as an annoyance when they have to work or do something.  If you really want to know how the VA really works file a complaint about someone.  It changes nothing and you the veteran will be singled out as a troublemaker.  I was actually warned about this when a doctor treated me very unprofessionally at the VA and I went to patient affairs.

The problem with the VA IG is the same with our federal gov-

Inspectors General can only make recommendations.

As this recent article states, the OAWB has been working in secret up to January 2018.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/17/trumps-new-veterans-affairs-office-moves-help-whistleblowers-draw-early-praise/1038915001/

I had become a little concerned that I had no response since my July complaint-because the President and also former Secretary Shulkin's office had responded to me due to my past letters to them, as well as due to my WH Hot Line call.

Yesterday they responded.I told them I had evidence of my complaint and had taken steps before to try to get it acknowledged- going back to the Shreddergate 2008 “Incident”.

It has nothing to do with my present claims status and everything to do with proper timely and appropriate care for veterans.

I feel that any vet with a valid complaint should not only contact the WH Hot Line but also follow it up- in a letter to:

Secretary Robert Wilkie

Department of Veterans Affairs

810 Vermont Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20420

Thank you for that informative article, Berta, and also where/who to contact.  A significant part of the problem, in my view, is that Vets pretty much dont have anywhere to complain.  

The VARO's jealously guard the phone numbers to make sure that Vets can not get hold of a VARO manager.  After all, that would be an inconvience for managers, and some problems could be solved.  

If you go to a McDonalds, and the french fries are dry or cold, you can immediately ask a VA employee who will either fix the problem, or direct you to a manager who will.  

I can not see how Vets deserve poorer service than McDonalds or Walmart customers.  We dont deserve to wait years or even decades for resolutions to our issues, that could be accomplished cheaper and more efficiently in minutes or hours, instead, by simply directing us to the person in charge.  (And, for that person to take action).  

While I like the white house hotline, there should be a person in every VARO (someone with actual authority!!!) who can promptly resolve probably 50 percent or more of issues WITHOUT necessitating appealate review.