VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

LHI? Anyone had any experiences previously?

Rate this question

ShilohLee

Question

I was contacted and sent to LHI for ratings increase on PTSD.  I was of course on edge just because and then going to a unknown contractor bothered me a bit.  But as I read on here they listed the doctors name and credentials which I used to investigate the doctor and liked what I found.  I showed up to the appointment and expected the appointment to last at least half as long as they paperwork called for which was about an hour and a half.  Appointment time was 0800 hrs and I was back out the door and in my car by 0825.  Now to the nitty gritty.  It was not bad at all.  The doctor had reviewed all of my stressors prior to me coming in and we did not speak of them at all not even in passing.  What I would have given to know that he had no interest the previous three days would've kept me from crawling the walls and being even more anxious than normal.  

Primarily it was spent doing a down and dirty DBQ where he asked about changes and I presented my notebook and letters from family and the one friend I have left.  Before I knew it we were at the end and had in my opinion not really delved in deep as I had expected or experienced in my initial PTSD assessment.  I knew it would be somewhat shorter but it was short enough that I was thrown off and even told him "it is in my best interest to go into as much detail as I can with my notes"  and was quickly told that it was not necessary.  This alarmed me and the whole time I was wondering in the back of my head if this wasn't some sort of Hatchet job and now was convinced that we had a problem.  But he reassured me that if I needed to go ahead and talk about the symptoms more then by all means go for it.  I know that I must've had the strangest look on my face maybe even the slightest bit of homicidal maniac....All I kept thinking was something is wrong....wrong wrong and more wrong. BOHICA BOHICA oh no here it comes. Its been barely 20 mins how could this be so quick?  I mean we are going up for 100% from 70% quite a bump and change in status.....

He told me that for what it was worth he was approving or submitting the paper for the increase.  Also said he was not sure why I did not have it already from the first C&P, but we all know why don't we?  Now I figure he could have lied and might have but I don't see the upside really...not that its not possible....either way...  

Now that don't mean nothing and I wont believe that or anything else until I see it when I check my bluebutton records or a brown envelop shows up in my mailbox.  

But what if....Could I finally be done fighting them and maybe get my 100%?  I mean one little NOD and three years later another C&P could I be so lucky not to have to play whack a mole all the way up to DC?  maybe just maybe....

When I was leaving I ran into the guy that was waiting along side me for an 8:00 appointment and he said " this is a new one on me" I agreed, he was there after submitting a NEW PTSD claim down the FDC (fully developed claim) route 3 weeks ago.....Three weeks ago he submitted his stuff and was there same day as me doing a C&P maybe things are picking up speed finally...maybe

Edited by ShilohLee

I did my first C&P with LHI 2 years ago and finally got 20% for the arthritis in my neck.

Two weeks ago I went to another LHI for an increase and 2 Secondary Conditions. I need 40% overall to make my 92% a 95% (VA math). The following day my claim went from Gathering of Evidence to Review of Evidence. By the end of the day it had gone back to Gathering of Evidence. WTH? I called the VA information number and no one knew what was going on. Today I called and they said I need to do the C&P over again because of conflicting information, but didn't know what information was conflicted. I called the VA White House hotline. I expect some clarity in the next few days.

• HadIt.com Elder

ApolloBolling It's what we call the Hamster Wheel. Bouncing back and forth between Review and Gathering. Happens frequently. You're really not going to get much of an explaination from Peggy. My guess is that the RO asked for the C&P examiner to get some specific info, and what they received back from LHI wasn't adequate. They could have missed something like some point for range of motion or put in a value that doesn't make sense. In any case, just do it; don't blow it off as you would be denied. You may get your decision before, but request a copy of the C&P exam after 30 days from the RO. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I had an LHI exam earlier in the year after filing a supplemental claim, but the examiner was sloppy, resulting in a denial that I had to appeal via HLR.

I received a FedEx letter a week prior telling me info about the examiner's experience and credentials. It also indicated the names of the services requested by the VA. In my case, the VA requested a cardiology exam. The examiner, a nurse practitioner, called and spent about 10 minutes on the phone. An in-person exam was not necessary because I recently had a full heart workup at the VA. They asked about a heart rhythm issue that was previously denied. I explained I still had it, but filed the claim due to a heart attack. They asked me some questions about it. A week later, my VSO provided me with a copy of their C&P exam. They focused solely on the heart rhythm issue, merely noted I had a heart attack, but completely failed to opine regarding the heart attack. It was like I have  5 things wrong with my heart, they picked the simplest one, and issued a rubber stamp denial. I called LHI and was told they merely scheduled exams with providers, but did no sort of quality checks on the exams. I now have an HLR in the system and have to wait 3 or 4 more months just to review the evidence on the merits and hopefully correct what was not done right the first time.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync It is what it is. We also call it the hamster wheel. Now, if there was some ADDITIONAL monetary considerations that the VA had to pay out to the veteran for sloppy work (or sloppy work from outside examiners), it think maybe we wouldn't have to go round-and-round. Unfortunately, it is the opposite. There are enough veterans that accept the denial to make it worth while for the VA to put up for the poor quality sometimes. More cost effective. Why else would they put up with it?

I've had a C and P exam done and the nurse practitioner pencil whipped the exam stating she performed steps that were never completed.

She was in a hurry due to a snow storm was predicted for the area and she wanted to get home before the snow.

I've had many Orthopedic Surgeons write statements on my behalf and LHI is insistent on hiring a nurse practitioner to review and deny my claim.

Now LHI wants another nurse practitioner to do a second review after they caught wind the first nurse practitioner did not complete the necessary paperwork and steps.