VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosed w/Peritoneal Mesothelioma

Rate this question

rabaum123

Question

I was diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma Sept. 2017. Underwent surgery and they removed gall bladder and a large portion of liver as well to remove the tumors.  I filed a claim in march 2018, the completion date is set for 10/04/2018 which was yesterday. I am 62, married and raising our grandson. The pathology report declared the tumors were of the epitheloid mesothelioma cell of the peritoneum.

I keep reading on pretty much all the web sites that my kind or type of cases are completed in about 120 days give or take,,, I'm closing in on 180 +. I have an attorney who filed my fully developed claim for me. I guess my question to anyone who has gone though this is, Since the VA lists the disease as 100% disability rated, what other evidence do I need to submit? A death certificate? They have all of my med records and the pathology report. is it because I went through a non VA hospital and tumor institute for the surgery and waited until march the following year to file a claim or????? I'm not getting any younger and the surgery really set me back physically and consequently, because of this I was let go from my job because I couldn't  perform the job duties that my job required. I know that the survival rate for this disease is 5 years or less so they say. 

In conclusion, thank you for letting me vent and if anyone can throw me a bone, I would appreciate it.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Did your attorney advise you to file for SSDI as well? And for any secondary conditions due to the 

peritoneal mesothelioma?

Is your nexus (the link to your service )well established ?

Is this attorney involved with any of the many mesothelioma law suits?

This VA link might give you more info:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/claims-postservice-exposures-asbestos.asp

Edited by Berta

Make sure you have the caluza elements documented, your attorney will know what those are.  I suggest you relax, but do make sure your attorney knows if your disorder's are life threatening..he can seek an advance on the docket.  

I suggest you make sure, also, your spouse knows your wishes to continue this claim, even in the event of your death.  Your attorney will know how to file a substitution of claimant if this happens.  

Relax and focus on your health.  Worry does not help.