VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vocational Rehab and 100%

Rate this question

K9handler13

Question

I was working in the TWE program. While I was in the program I was accepted to voc rehab the vr councelor said that I could not be in both programs so I withdrew from TWE upon my first appointment to vr the councelor told me that all they do is try to help with an entry level job.I stated that I was interested in schooling she told me that since I was 100% P&T for ptsd that I can't work or the VA would reduce my rating and that the vr was an employment program only and that they can not approve school or independent living, that I should have stayed in the TWE program but they as well are an employment program but that i needed an IEEP to justify my inability to adapt to working the 3 weeks that I spent on the TWE program was really making my irritability and depression worse all they had me doing was cleaning toilets and patient rooms. I have been a GM for a General Motors dealership and a VP for 2 different security companies yet I don't have a degree of any kind and upon relocating to a different state all of the local job market wants people with college background ie: bachelors to do what I was doing before I was awarded 100% seeing how both of these VA programs only help with entry level jobs I can't justify working for a minimum wage job and losing both my ssdi and VA I have never heard of the independent living program until the vr councelor mentioned it. I didn't inquire about it because she said that they didn't participate....anybody have advice please help

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

With you having a single 100% PTSD rating and being on SSDI, the VR counselor probably should not have placed you in the TWE program.

The ILP is managed through the VS'a VR&E program. The VR counselor really should know more about it. 

Below is a link which contains more information.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/independent_living.asp

Your VR counselor must provide you with a direction to take this. Bump it to a supervisor.

Nice way to do it is to ask the Counselor if s/he can  please guide you toward the right contact for help on the ILP because you are eligible.

Edited by pwrslm