VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD spouse letter

Rate this question

KC3

Question

Should a spouse mention and explain your stressors when writing a letter about how my PTSD has affected the family or stick to the symptoms before, in and post service?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sure, the spouse can help document symptoms, BUT, I would try to make sure the spouse's information does not conflict with that on record, unless there is a compelling reason.  

The spouses "lay testimony" can be important.   It may be especially important if you were married during military service and were aware of applicable stressors.  

A military buddy letter may actually be more useful, because a military buddy can often testify as an eyewitness, while you "probably" were not there when a stressor occurred, tho you could testify as to what your husband said, as well as his actions.  

Generally, lay testimony would not be needed as long as you had all 3 caluza elements:  diagnosis (made by a doctor, a spouse can not diagnose you), in service event (spouse probably was not there then) and nexus, aslo made by a doctor.  

Once you are service connected, the percentage will be based on symptoms.  This is the most likely place your letter may help.  You may be able to explain if he has night terrors, anger issues, got fired from his job, etc, etc.  Make sure your statements are fully factual and not exaggeratted.  

• HadIt.com Elder
5 hours ago, KC3 said:

Should a spouse mention and explain your stressors when writing a letter about how my PTSD has affected the family or stick to the symptoms before, in and post service?

yes  you bet she can She can give her lay statements of your behavior and your way of life before military and after  even if was a slow process in your behavior. she really can't mention your stressors  b/c she was not there to wittness them  only what you tell her  to the VA this would just be speculation  but a Hubby can tell his spouse things that he other wise would not tell a soul  or his own mother.

state your marriage years together and how long..ect,,,ect,,,

&

Start out by years married or how you met and when was you guys married...dates/locations  present your marriage certificate as evidence/copy of Drivers lic and birth certificate 

State from time of separation and the time she notice you have change,  she needs to say what changed about your behavior pattern  and be sure she says in her lay statements she is not a Medical Professional or Dr  these lay statements come from me and what I witness my hubbys behavior change through out the years being together  ect,,ect,, (name some events that has happen) give good examples of your behavior,  like night mares , night sweats, jumpy, no trust in people , always wants to just stay home and avoid people ect,,ect,, temper is bad for no reasons ....just seems numb to everything  ect,,ect,,,

Go into detail about how your life has changed and your family.  pre- military and post military. try to think of all the things that were up setting to you and your family & still are    ect,,,ect,,, Also mention if your in MH Therapy.

Also lay statements from family that has know you a long time and your friends  can give their opinion on your behavior before military and after  Notarized the statements and

at the end of the letter say I swear at the end of the statements  everything I mention here is the truth to the best of my recollection. 

Edited by Buck52

If you told your spouse about what the stressor was years ago, that should also be included in her Lay statement. No medical terms needed :-) or they will claim that its not a qualified statement and forego it.

simple and plain explanation, honest and to the point

• HadIt.com Elder

pwrslm

Ouch..Are you still in a lot of pain?

Was this the VA that did the surgery? if it was you might check on your S.C. Rating see if it has has  a diary date  for a C&P ??

this may mean you have a TEMP Rating...so recheck your C FILE in a few months to make sure.

22 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

pwrslm

Ouch..Are you still in a lot of pain?

Was this the VA that did the surgery? if it was you might check on your S.C. Rating see if it has has  a diary date  for a C&P ??

this may mean you have a TEMP Rating...so recheck your C FILE in a few months to make sure.

VA ref me out to non-VA surgeon. 1st one was an amatuer, would have crippled me. I picked one and they approved him 7 months later. He did great, pain is not bad, but residuals from the 7 month wait are perm in nature (radiculopathy both legs and urology impact etc...). Not recent, 2015, secondary connections are my shoulder when I fell (twice, torn labrum both sides, one is going to appeal when BBE gets in), then the 60% left leg impacts my hips/knee's which I claimed because they started giving me pain. I use a brace to walk/AFO because of foot drop (Perm) and it affects my gait, use cane, unsteady to a degree....good days/bad days. Now my neck is talking loud. going to a neuro surgeon to eval that. The scoliosis was caused by herniated disc 3.5 decades ago, goes straight to my neck, now I have stenosis in c3/4 and c4/5.  Causes both legs and arms to have symptoms, fasciculations tingling tremors etc...It all started in Basic...they called it "Lumbar Strain". Thats Govt talk for slipped disc.

Im trudging the happy path of destiny though ::--)). I got 100% temp  for 3 months, been in VR&E for a degree x28 months, ends May  2019. Then I can get a job. Im P&T, can do sedentary work no problem, not UI, so they cant bark at me.

Ill be a substance abuse counselor when its over. Clean and sober now for 25 years. Help ppl get clean, good business for me.

Edited by pwrslm