VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Burn Pit Exam / Invitation to Apply for Compensation

Rate this question

rk4435

Question

Several months ago I finally had a "Burn Pit" (Environmental Exposure) examination.  The letter that I received a few weeks later stated that I have a "presumptive" service connection due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome and I was invited in the letter to apply for compensation.  

I've never known the VA to invite people to apply for something that would cost them money.  I have been concerned about the overall effects of the burn pits for years, but it was only a couple of years ago when I started discovering that many other illnesses have been linked to burn pit exposure.  I have been far more concerned about my problems breathing but it is practically impossible to pursue that despite now being on a rescue and COPD inhaler. 

Has anyone else had a favorable outcome when the VA invited you to apply?

5 answers to this question

Here is the deal:

I dont blame you for being skeptical of the VA.  They have gotten their poor reputation the old fashioned way:  They EARNED IT.  

However, apply.  There is no downside risk to you, if you have conditions you beleive are service connected related to this.  

Here is why:  The VA takes the politically popular position that "they are there to serve Vets", and they want them to know about all their benefits.  While this is certainly not completely true, in reality, its their "official" position.  

When I applied for compensation as an "about to be homeless Vet" in 2002, they conviently "forgot" to tell me I was eligible for Pension.  While they should have automatically put in a claim for my pension anyway, of course they assumed I would rather be starving and homeless than to have 1000 per month I deserved in pension.    My doctor, finally, tipped me off that I should apply for pension, but not until 2004, and several appeals and denials later.  (I appealed, and was granted.  But the VARO decided my "full grant of benefits" meant a 0 percent rating.  They counted a zero percent rating as an "award".  I dont.)  

The sooner you apply, the better.  

Yes, please do apply but don't stop when you receive your first award.  The VA likes to play a numbers game.  If they have a lot of vets receiving small disability amounts it looks good for the number of veterans they are serving.  What they do not want to do is give you a substantive award like 100%.  They can give a whole bunch of veterans 10% or 20% for what it costs to give a single veteran 100%.  Some will call me divisive but this is the game they play.   

This a lot of recent info on the net as well as here on Burn Pit disability...searchable

This excellent law form has a good article here:

https://cck-law.com/news/news-burn-pit-related-conditions/

It makes the point that there are no presumptives for Burn Pit vets.

They are handled on a case by case basis.

The law firm above has a pop up for contact and you might want to ask them if they recommend a good IMO/IME doctor for COPD and burn pit exposure.

Those claims that have been awarded have had a strong IMO/IME (independent medical opinion/or exam) to support that there is no other medical etiology for the disability than the veteran's exposure to Burn Pits during OIF/OEF.

There is also a lawsuit in progress

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/magazine/burn-pits-veterans.html

Greeting All,

So this brings up a dilemma I am facing, I am registered with the burn pit registry from being in the both theaters during the OIF & OEF and being stationed in Djibouti for a year.  I applied for a Federal job that required a lung test and my results were barely met. So is applying for compensation going to be a headache or has it become something the VA is expecting now that time has passed and symptoms are more prevalent? Thanks All

File now if you have a problem with your lungs.  It will only get worse as you age.  No, the VA never sees claims as easy, you have to prove your claim with evidence and even that is not enough some times.  If your request fails take it to appeals, there appear to not be many cases that are settled in the first go around.  You might have to appeal to get your benefits, but even if you get zero percent you are in their system so when things get worse you have a rating to start from.  You need an in-service event, chronic symptoms, and a nexus between the two.  I personally would get my lungs checked out if you are barely meeting the results of a lung test.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Start a new thread for any new questions and we will be happy to answer any further questions.