• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  

Hello all,

ive been here before many years ago and have had both progress and frustration in my battle with the VA(yes I call it a battle, it been rough). Anyway I served in the Navy for 5 years and was able to get out early to go to college.  I ended up dropping out of college that first semester, because the trauma from my service was too much and I was having a really hard time coping.  My husband who also served in the navy went and got VA disability as soon as he was discharged, I however did not.  I was so jaded and messed up mentally, that I couldn’t disconnect military service from the help I would receive from the VA.  It wasn’t until 5/6 years after I was discharged that I finally put in a claim.  At first it was a nightmare, then I highered a lawyer and things became less stressful for me, knowing I had someone fighting for me.  Anyway, fast forward to today and I recently was granted my A&A claim (May the waiting game begin on the change in SMC and any backpay), and finally have progress on my PTSD claim.  Currently I am putting  in a claim for an increase for my back, and will see how that goes.  i don’t know yet if I have anything to add to the forum, so I will be in the background supporting and following you all, and commenting when I feel the need arise.  I am so grateful for the power of the internet and how it is bringing us together to help one another.

Welcome back, and Congratulations on your win!   Is this your same handle?   I have been here 10 plus years, so I probably will remember you.  Im kinda not understanding your post, however.  Most of the time you get SC THEN you get SMC, such as A and A, but yours seems to be backwards, at least the way I read your post.  

If this Veteran is A&A  must be pretty messed up service connected wise...

Not sure what the A&A would be unless 100%MH PTSD /Depression and can't take care of self or cook /feed dress self  ect,,ect,

,After Being Granted  A&A and then filing for another condition  seems fishy to me...why wasn't this Back condition not filed until After receiving the A&A ???

What is the A&A Grant Based on?

Of course, many Vets file for other conditions after they are 100 percent, and some of these, at least, have good reasons for that.  One reason is that PTSD is unlikely to cause death, where something like kidney failure could be more likely.  

So, in the above example, filing and getting approved for kidney issues could mean the difference between their spouse getting DIC or not.  This only applies if you have not been SC for 10 years at death.  If you have been SC at 100 percent prior to death, the cause of death wont matter, your spouse should get DIC regardless  of whether or not the death was ruled service connected or not. 

Making sure their spouse is well cared for (even after the Vet dies) is a huge thing for many/most VEts. 

Yes, I know, I hear about women complaining about their husbands all the time.  Some of them have legitimate gripes, too.   But many have trouble communicating, like me, I dont speak female and dont understand a word of the female language.  

Example:  My wife says, "Are you hungry?"   

Interpretation: 
Please go get me a hamburger at Wendys, with sweet Ice Tea. 

So, in answer to her question, I reply, "No.  Im not hungry".    

I dont understand the link above..if she wanted me to go get something, why does she not say that?  This is my complaint...why dont women just "say what they want".   Why do I have to solve crossword puzzles, correctly, to figure out what she wants.  Does she not understand I care for her, and work hard to please her?  THAT is difficult to do, when I have no idea what she wants.  I naturally assume when someone asks me a question, they want an answer to THAT question..not to make some other stament or request, which I can only figure out if I go onto Dr. Phil show and listen to 8,000 other women who would know that, as I dont understand female.   

So,  the correct answer to her question is:

"Yes, I will go get you a Wendy's Hamburger with sweet tea".  

She does not understand "male" either.  Example:  A guy buys a new motorcycle after asking his wife, "is it okay if I get a new motorcycle".  

She responds, "What ever you think".  

Ok, well I THINK its a good idea, so its off to the bike shop.  I bring it home and she says, "How come there is a new bike in our garage?"  

This is because I think "What ever you think", means she is deferring the decision to me, and what ever I decide is ok with her.  

WRONG.  What it really means is this:

Im supposed to know she is lying so that she wont feel guilty if she "makes" me not get the bike.  But she wont say, "Dont get the bike".  

I would.  If she asked me about a purchase I thought I was a bad idea, I would say:

"Gee, we cant afford that now.  Besides, motorcycles are dangerous and you like to ride without a helmet."  

Edited by broncovet

My A&A is at the SMC-L level.  Its been a long road to get to this point. I recently found out that a lot of the problems I’ve been having are due to issues with my spine.  The point of increasing my current rate for my back (Currently at 40%) is to prove to the VA that I need a higher level of SMC.  I have lost the use of my right hand due to these back problems, and the VA is not acknowledging that.  Let me clarify, I am already service connected for the back issues, I’m looking for a % increase.  I was awarded A&A because of mental health, and many physical ailments.  I struggle daily with taking care of myself and need assistance everyday.  I currently am working with a company for a service dog, and should have him home with me this time next year.  He will help a lot with mobility and comforting  me after nightmares. I hope that clarifies things a bit.  And yes, everything I have been doing is for my spouse, not me.  I need him home helping me (we still have young children at home), and I constantly fear that things will take a turn for the worst and I will leave them all without, it’s a scary thought for me. 

I honestly don’t remember my old handle on here.  I wish I could though.  The email I would have used is deactivated now, as someone hacked it (multiple times) and I decided it wasn’t worth keeping it.