Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fundraising-001.jpegFund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Our picks

• This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 3 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 1 reply
    • VA has a special where we can ask questions TODAY, at 3:00 to "people that matter?"  Someone should ask why we can not ask them questions EVERY day, why today only? (This is a big problem with VA..the 800 number often does not give specific answers).  We should have people in VA who "solve Vets problems" like Allison Hickey did a few years ago. 
      • 8 replies
    • The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 9 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  

Hello all,

ive been here before many years ago and have had both progress and frustration in my battle with the VA(yes I call it a battle, it been rough). Anyway I served in the Navy for 5 years and was able to get out early to go to college.  I ended up dropping out of college that first semester, because the trauma from my service was too much and I was having a really hard time coping.  My husband who also served in the navy went and got VA disability as soon as he was discharged, I however did not.  I was so jaded and messed up mentally, that I couldn’t disconnect military service from the help I would receive from the VA.  It wasn’t until 5/6 years after I was discharged that I finally put in a claim.  At first it was a nightmare, then I highered a lawyer and things became less stressful for me, knowing I had someone fighting for me.  Anyway, fast forward to today and I recently was granted my A&A claim (May the waiting game begin on the change in SMC and any backpay), and finally have progress on my PTSD claim.  Currently I am putting  in a claim for an increase for my back, and will see how that goes.  i don’t know yet if I have anything to add to the forum, so I will be in the background supporting and following you all, and commenting when I feel the need arise.  I am so grateful for the power of the internet and how it is bringing us together to help one another.

Welcome back, and Congratulations on your win!   Is this your same handle?   I have been here 10 plus years, so I probably will remember you.  Im kinda not understanding your post, however.  Most of the time you get SC THEN you get SMC, such as A and A, but yours seems to be backwards, at least the way I read your post.  

If this Veteran is A&A  must be pretty messed up service connected wise...

Not sure what the A&A would be unless 100%MH PTSD /Depression and can't take care of self or cook /feed dress self  ect,,ect,

,After Being Granted  A&A and then filing for another condition  seems fishy to me...why wasn't this Back condition not filed until After receiving the A&A ???

What is the A&A Grant Based on?

Of course, many Vets file for other conditions after they are 100 percent, and some of these, at least, have good reasons for that.  One reason is that PTSD is unlikely to cause death, where something like kidney failure could be more likely.  

So, in the above example, filing and getting approved for kidney issues could mean the difference between their spouse getting DIC or not.  This only applies if you have not been SC for 10 years at death.  If you have been SC at 100 percent prior to death, the cause of death wont matter, your spouse should get DIC regardless  of whether or not the death was ruled service connected or not. 

Making sure their spouse is well cared for (even after the Vet dies) is a huge thing for many/most VEts. 

Yes, I know, I hear about women complaining about their husbands all the time.  Some of them have legitimate gripes, too.   But many have trouble communicating, like me, I dont speak female and dont understand a word of the female language.  

Example:  My wife says, "Are you hungry?"   

Interpretation: 
Please go get me a hamburger at Wendys, with sweet Ice Tea. 

So, in answer to her question, I reply, "No.  Im not hungry".    

I dont understand the link above..if she wanted me to go get something, why does she not say that?  This is my complaint...why dont women just "say what they want".   Why do I have to solve crossword puzzles, correctly, to figure out what she wants.  Does she not understand I care for her, and work hard to please her?  THAT is difficult to do, when I have no idea what she wants.  I naturally assume when someone asks me a question, they want an answer to THAT question..not to make some other stament or request, which I can only figure out if I go onto Dr. Phil show and listen to 8,000 other women who would know that, as I dont understand female.   

So,  the correct answer to her question is:

"Yes, I will go get you a Wendy's Hamburger with sweet tea".  

She does not understand "male" either.  Example:  A guy buys a new motorcycle after asking his wife, "is it okay if I get a new motorcycle".  

She responds, "What ever you think".  

Ok, well I THINK its a good idea, so its off to the bike shop.  I bring it home and she says, "How come there is a new bike in our garage?"  

This is because I think "What ever you think", means she is deferring the decision to me, and what ever I decide is ok with her.  

WRONG.  What it really means is this:

Im supposed to know she is lying so that she wont feel guilty if she "makes" me not get the bike.  But she wont say, "Dont get the bike".  

I would.  If she asked me about a purchase I thought I was a bad idea, I would say:

"Gee, we cant afford that now.  Besides, motorcycles are dangerous and you like to ride without a helmet."  

Edited by broncovet

My A&A is at the SMC-L level.  Its been a long road to get to this point. I recently found out that a lot of the problems I’ve been having are due to issues with my spine.  The point of increasing my current rate for my back (Currently at 40%) is to prove to the VA that I need a higher level of SMC.  I have lost the use of my right hand due to these back problems, and the VA is not acknowledging that.  Let me clarify, I am already service connected for the back issues, I’m looking for a % increase.  I was awarded A&A because of mental health, and many physical ailments.  I struggle daily with taking care of myself and need assistance everyday.  I currently am working with a company for a service dog, and should have him home with me this time next year.  He will help a lot with mobility and comforting  me after nightmares. I hope that clarifies things a bit.  And yes, everything I have been doing is for my spouse, not me.  I need him home helping me (we still have young children at home), and I constantly fear that things will take a turn for the worst and I will leave them all without, it’s a scary thought for me. 

I honestly don’t remember my old handle on here.  I wish I could though.  The email I would have used is deactivated now, as someone hacked it (multiple times) and I decided it wasn’t worth keeping it.