VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non-VA care

Rate this question

Through the looking glass

Question

Hello all, 

I receive steroid injections in multiple locations for my spine. My rheumatologist at the VA put in for me to receive the injections closer to my home (the nearest VA hospital is a 4 hour round trip drive, we have a small outpatient clinic 30 min from my house, but it only handles basic needs and none of the specialty care I require). The request was denied.  The advocate that would have helped veterans with these types of issues was let go recently and when I talked to a different patient advocate, they said it’s been a mess since then, as many veterans who qualify for outside care have been hitting road bumps (so to speak).  My question, is who do I contact to find out why it was denied, and how do I approach the issue?  

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe  they let you have a trial run with it before its implanted  to make sure it helps you control your pain, that's what this thing is for  control the pain

My wife wore hers a couple weeks and said it helps, so she on the list to be implanted...she sleeps on her back mostly  so I am thinking they may implant it on her side some place?

...they won't put it on you ''ass''  they put it on a place your comfortable with and make sure its not in the way for which you sleep!

and if after you have it implanted they can remove it any time you wish  if you feel its not helping or getting in the way of your sleep pattern  just let the Dr's know.

After all the steroids injections  I mean the long needles that go down deep  after you have had all those and they stop helping with your pain   there's not anything left to try   but this new Stemulator from Boston Scientific .

Good Luck either way you decide...Also now that the VA is Paying out compensation for a degree level of pain  you might ask your VSO or your claims rep about that?

..I'm not sure how this works other than filing for the pain its self that your S.C. Disability causes.

• HadIt.com Elder

I wanted to say this   too  my wife was in Rehab twice..

.Rehab helped her with her gait and walking (she uses a cane to walk)...but the pain in her back is still there..the Rehab last 8 weeks each , she did one 8 weeks   and took off a couple of weeks and started it over , so she had 16 weeks of rehab 3 times a week , she said it help with her balance and walking  but never did anything for her pain.  So Rehab is good if you have problems walking or with your gait/.balance, she has Osteoporosis very bad in her spine

They have did that Neoplastic   <(missedspelled) type surgery on her back where they  go in and tack the spinal cord,  I'am not sure about this I am confused as to what it is suppose to do?  lift the vertebra up I think and take pressure off the nerves  or something close to this?...that didn't work either   and since she had open heart by pass surgery  they can't to a breast reduction  because of the heart surgery they  removed a blood vessel that would help in her recovery of breast reduction. Dr said it would be to risky.

Buck,

Also now that the VA is Paying out compensation for a degree level of pain  you might ask your VSO or your claims rep about that?”

ive never heard of this before. I am currently recieving SMC-l for a&a, would this actually be worth pursuing? 

In my case I have a straight lumbar, and cervical spine.  My thoracic spine is starting to show scoliosis.  As of right now my right hand/arm has limited mobility and on bad days the nerve pain is unbearable. Currently I’m starting to notice loss of strength in my left leg.  It’s been scary because I’ve fallen a couple times now when I went to step and the leg didn’t support me. 

I also have squaring of the vertebrae and have multiple sections where there is no space between vertebrae causing them to start fusing together. My biggest struggle is that my spine isn’t my only ailment, so I’m constantly fighting one thing if another isn’t to bad that particular day.  I have a wheelchair that I use when things are really bad (I’m very stubborn and would rather walk painfully and slowly, than use the damn thing.  I’m still struggling with accepting my situation). 

Im glad I can’t see the needle for my injections, I’d probably freak out.  

PTSD/depression/anxiety has also been a demon I’ve been battling. Recently with my health not being so good, I’ve noticed that I have not been doing well in that area as well.  I rarely sleep, either the pain, nightmares, or paranoia keep me up. I’ve been having more panic attacks and cry randomly for no reason.  I honestly feel like a big hot mess right now. I feel like I just can’t win.

anyway, there is my rant.  Thanks for all your info.  I really hope this new device will help your wife and I will seriously be looking into it.  I see my rheumatologist and spine doc. This week so I’ll bring it up then. 

i never seen a stimulator located anywhere else but on your butt maybe this is a new

procedure the only good thing is they can reprogram it anytime and even come to meet

you to do this. i just got mines program about a month ago it has 4 program to choose from

and can give you stimulation just about anywhere they want to Here is a link

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-stim.htm

• HadIt.com Elder

porgeee,

I am not sure where they will implant this on her.

she wrore the trial stem on her upper right upper thigh in the back.

this thing is only like an Inch to inch an 1/2 size so its pretty small and flat  it has 4 leads that come out two leads for the upper back  (thorasic) and 2 leads for the lower back(Lumbar Area) as the older stems only had 2 leads for the upper & lower Back

she is pain 24x7 so its basically her last resort to help find something to relieve her  chronic pain.

I'll let ya know if it helps her?? I think she is scheduled to get in Nov.

Looking glass ,

here is some information on the new compensation for pain. 

https://www.hillandponton.com/chronic-pain-syndrome-va-disability-claim/

Source: Hill &Ponton Disabilitys Attorney's

Not sure how to file for it but probably the 21- 526ez And file it as chronic pain claim ,

your Dr can state why you have pain and level of pain  as long a sits chronic I believe your entitled to the comp.

This New  I am not sure about it other than what I've read. check with your VSO or your Rep

Edited by Buck52