VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fellow warriors...anyone a 100% expat?

Rate this topic

sagewarrior

I I've visited Thailand while I was living in Taiwan.  In the off-season non winter year. Thailand is extremely cheap.  Food hotels very very cheap. I've been told that around November to march the prices can triple.  I know people that would live in Thailand and the Philippians for six months then jump over to Taiwan to work for six months.   Places like Chang mai Thailand are suppose to be less touristy compared to the southern parts and islands.  The down side to Thailand and countries simular is that you can get completely lost in it.  Thailand is a beautiful country with beautiful friendly people.  I've had Thai people go extremely out of their way to help me, they are fantastic!!  When I get my disability problem resolved I'm planning a trip to Thailand and Taiwan.   My ex wife is actually Taiwanese.  The people in both countries are great.  Low crime and can walk the streets at night safely.  Bad thing is people will steal what ever is not locked up. And will steal what is locked up.  And money scammers will lie through their teeth. But a good head on your shoulders you can spot these guys easily.  The real down side to living in a country like those is ownership.   Car/scooter  I would always buy a scooter/motorcycle that was forgiener owned that the foreigner was leaving the country and wasn't worried about a title transfer.  You need a residents visa in order to sign titles open a bank account and somtimes rent an apartment.   There are always ways around these issues.  Find someone private that is renting. Some banks will allow a foreigner to open an account.  You can apply for a residents visa i think in taiwan they cost $300 or more or  Find a job that will give you a work visa.  Engish teachers do this since its the easiest position for a forgiener to get overseas.  Ive had a multi entry visa at one time and i would just leave the country every couple months which isnt as hard as it seems and give a reason to travel.  If ever pulled over just the sight of a forgien face would make a cop wave you off and send you on your way.  It rains a lot in Asia so having an umbrella or rain suit is a plus.   Traffic is a nightmare I have several friends that have spent time in hospitals with broken arms collar bones even legs from being hit by buses or garbage trucks.  I've had some near misses but got through with out injury.  I've had moments traffic was so congested I've had to pick my bicycle up over my head and carry it through a sea of taxis.  As I said these places can consume people.  I have seen some odd people either dealing with culture shock and acting out. Then I've seen the opposite of culture shock were the person becomes completely numb to their surroundings and shut down to the outside world.  

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to add that when I was working I  Taiwan I was  making the equivalent to $2000 USD a month and was able to put around $500 USD in the bank every month.  And that even with the expense of having to travel every couple months for my visa.  

Numbeo is a great site  

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Numbeo is the world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide. Numbeo provides current and timely information on world living conditions including cost of living, housing indicators, health care, traffic, crime and pollution.
4,913,369 prices in 8,784 cities entered by 411,969 contributors
Edited by Vet Dog and wife
add info

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use