VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

bicuspid heart valve, child of agent orange

Rate this question

mrstephens11

Question

Hello,

Recently my father was service connected for exposure to agent orange.  I was recently diagnosed with bicuspid heart valve.  I was thinking about trying to get this service connected via agent orange, as no one in my family tree has had a bicuspid valve.

My questions are:

1. What does the VA need from my father's c-file to link me to being a child of a veteran that was exposed to agent orange?

2. I will find a private doctor to fill out the DBQ and have them say "at least as likely as not" and that they have reviewed my complete c-file, but what about medical evidence that can link the bicuspid valve to agent orange exposure in my father?  Is there a good resource for information like this?

3. Any other advise for filing a claim based on a parent's exposure to agent orange?

Thank you,

Stephens

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

This link explains benefits for children of Vietnam Vets who have spinal bifida:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/benefits/children-birth-defects.asp

This link explains benefits for children with many disabilities as listed but only if their mother served in Vietnam:

VA recognizes a wide range of birth defects as associated with women Veterans' service in Vietnam. These diseases are not tied to herbicides, including Agent Orange, or dioxin exposure, but rather to the birth mother's service in Vietnam.

Covered birth defects include, but are not limited to, the following conditions:

• Achondroplasia

• Cleft lip and cleft palate

• Congenital heart disease

• Congenital talipes equinovarus (clubfoot)

• Esophageal and intestinal atresia

• Hallerman-Streiff syndrome

• Hip dysplasia

• Hirschprung's disease (congenital megacolon)

• Hydrocephalus due to aqueductal stenosis

• Hypospadias

• Imperforate anus

• Neural tube defects

• Poland syndrome

• Pyloric stenosis

• Syndactyly (fused digits)

• Tracheoesophageal fistula

• Undescended testicle

• Williams syndrome

Conditions due to family disorders, birth-related injuries, or fetal or neonatal infirmities with well-established causes are not covered. If any of the birth defects listed above are determined to be a family disorder in a particular family, they are not covered birth defects.

VA benefits for children with covered birth defects

Children who meet the following requirements may be eligible for VA compensation, health care, and vocational training:

• Are biological children of a woman Vietnam Veteran who served in Vietnam during the period beginning February 28, 1961 and ending on May 7, 1975

• Were conceived after the date on which the Veteran first entered the Republic of Vietnam

• Have a covered birth defect, which resulted in a permanent physical or mental disability

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/birth-defects/children-women-vietnam-vets.asp

I don't think so. 

Could this possibly be a secondary to any SC you have now?