VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Mild to Severe in 10 Years

Rate this question

JoeCab

Question

Hello group -

I had a sleep study in 2007 while on active duty and got diagnosed with "mild obstructive sleep apnea." There was no treatment provided/necessary. 

I retired from the Navy in 2017 after 25 years of active duty and submitted the sleep study in my claim. Unfortunately, I did not have documented proof of hypersomnolence. In May 2018 I had another sleep study with the result being "severe obstructive sleep apnea," and was prescribed a CPAP which I use currently. This particular evidence was not submitted in my claim package.

I just received my VA decision letter on 10/4/18, the VA assigned a disability rating of 0% for the apnea (as expected), but listed it as "service connected."

My question is this: I have the medical evidence now to prove I have severe apnea and I'm getting ready to submit a NOD. Do I have to also prove "service connectivity?" or has this been sufficiently established and cannot be taken away by the DRO?

Also, do I have to provide evidence that I had hypersomnolence from 2007 to 2018 to prove it's all connected? This will be the tough part for me.

It seems pretty straight forward, but I know nothing is ever a slam dunk in this arena so what am I potentially missing?

Thanks!

Joe

• HadIt.com Elder

yeah my choice is right  ..but I am finished fighting with them the stress is not worth it and besides there's no more $$ in it for me I am 190%with 2 SMC's

My point was for  veterans that are having a hard time getting OSA Approved and S.C. There is a secondary claim for OSA  Mine would be secondary to PTSD From the meds I take prescribe by the VA MH.  

They do have secondary claims to OSA if the disability warrants it  and by the meds you take  ect,,,ect,,,

btw, doc25  Your Post is fine.

Edited by Buck52