VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back C&P Question

Rate this question

rk4435

Question

I was rated over a decade ago at 10% for a Lumbar Strain.  About 5 years ago the rating was increased to 20% for lumbar strain with an additional (secondary) rating of 10% for radiculapothy, sorry spell check won't touch that, numbness of the left extremity. 

I finally filed an appeal tied in with another issue that included a full diagnosis by a real doctor.  It included multiple issues, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease and on and on. 

Does the VA rate those independently through the combined rating table, or do they simply grant the highest rating of all the issues?  I always felt like "lumbar strain" sounded rather temporary.  My doc says I will need 2-3 fusions, I'm just terrified to do it and can't afford to stay out of work for a couple of months. 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

lumbar strain was a catch all i think they used before MRI's...

Im 40% for lumbar strain, but also claimed as ddd, scoliosis, stenosis and a few other things, its rated based on how far you bend forward now

they dont prescribe bed rest anymore

I ended up w/4 level fusion s1 to l3, 4 months off,, but they give you temp 100% during that time you cannot work...3k per month downtime plus if you have kids

make sure you get reevaluated at the end, you should get to higher % after surgery because you can not bend like you used to 

radiculopathy is from nerve damage to the legs from spine problems and is rated secondary, so in addition to the spine and you should be rated for each leg, both count

I ended up w.60% left leg because I ended up with foot drop, a lot of nerve damage in other words, the right leg is mostly sensory deficite 

i fell and tore the labrum in my shoulder, left leg gave out on me and injury was from the fall, so its secondary in addition to spine also

literally everything that is tied to the SC injury is secondary, including arthritis of the hips and knees and ankles if you are affected as bad as I am

as soon as symptoms start to manifest, get to the VA and document them, then once you have it documented, start a new claim