VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dropping SSDI, but retaining VA Disability?

Rate this question

Skyler0311

Question

So I will try to make this short. I am on VA disability and on SSDI.  I want to start working soon, and am considering stopping my SSDI in order to do so. Is this possible, and if I do so, can I continue to get my VA Disability? While I will never be fully recovered from my injuries overseas, I feel that I can atleast have a job. I don't want to spend the rest of my days doing nothing. I'm still in my 30's and want to have a life. 

Just now, Skyler0311 said:

How do I access them? Is there an online account I can look at? I do have my awards letters, but they are in a box somewhere. 

Sorry, we all assume you have an Ebenefits account or a Vets.gov account.

If you have one of them, log in and find the Letters section. That is where they are. Each site has a different menu selection so I cannot guide you further.

If you don't have either account, then get them.

for Ebenefits the main link is

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

for Vets.gov well its https://www.vets.gov

You will need either a DS Logon which the sites tell you how to get. Tip: Pay attention to each step and screen of the DS Logon application. There may be one question asking if you have a "badge", say yes. It bypasses needing to have an in-person meeting at your VA Hospital.

The other may be easier for you:

There is a site called ID.ME

The VA has contracted them to verify veterans identifications and use those to log into certain VA sites, including Vets.Gov (ebenefits is NOT on their approved list yet).

ID.ME is basically a marketing company that finds discounts for its members including cops, firefighters and veterans. I don't know how or why they were chosen by VA to be provide logon credentials or to access our DEERS records, but they did.

It took me about 30 minutes to get approved via ID.ME two years ago, not sure what they do now.

I just tried to register an account. I got all the way through, and then it asked me to (in under 2 minutes) enter in my DoD ID number on my retiree ID Card (medically retired). I did so, clicked next. Then a screen came up saying remote proofing unavailable. 

I’m not say he isn’t just that if you cancel it 3

months later and become unable to work then you may have to start the process of SSdI all

over.

Can you go on ebenefits right now

Can you go on ebenefits right now

7 minutes ago, Skyler0311 said:

Should I just call the VA tomorrow and ask them if I am on P & T?

you can try. I never have luck getting through to Peggy. Hope yours is better.

Try the ID.ME route.

are you close enough you can go the VA Hospital or Regional Office?

Finding out if you are P&T is for your benefit. If you don't care it does not matter.

The only effect P&T would have for you is that it creates a higher barrier for VA to cross to reduce your compensation rating. Again I doubt that will even come up in context to your original post. So it just depends on how much effort you want to put into knowing your status  and getting hooked into ebenefits and vets.gov