VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dropping SSDI, but retaining VA Disability?

Rate this question

Skyler0311

Question

So I will try to make this short. I am on VA disability and on SSDI.  I want to start working soon, and am considering stopping my SSDI in order to do so. Is this possible, and if I do so, can I continue to get my VA Disability? While I will never be fully recovered from my injuries overseas, I feel that I can atleast have a job. I don't want to spend the rest of my days doing nothing. I'm still in my 30's and want to have a life. 

2 minutes ago, Skyler0311 said:

I will also lose medicare too, right?

you will lose medicare. I know nothing about tricare.

as 100% you don't need to have any other coverage no matter how much the VA pushes you to have it.

That said, having coverage outside VA is a good thing.

Thanks for the links. They are informative!

This is great news! I want to have a career in the non-profit sector doing community service work or other related jobs.  But I'm glad I will be able to work, do my SSA trial work period, still have my VA benefits! I feel free to actually pursue my dreams!!

25 minutes ago, Skyler0311 said:

This is great news! I

good I hope that your mind is a little calmer. Remember no one here is a lawyer or VSO etc. I provided you those links so you can research and verify if you agree with what you have heard.

It is always a possibility that VA will find out and ask, but the odds don't seem real good considering all the relevant factors including those I mentioned and the reality they are neck deep in claims and have a backlog.

Assuming everything you told us is accurate and correct, you can legally work as a 100% schedular vet.

Only you and your family can decide what is best for you my friend. I am only 36 been retired for 5 yrs now, so I know how you feel. I worked hard to get my 3 degrees, in fact I did not even have a high school diploma when I joined the Navy. Now due to my health I can never work again. I would give anything to feel important and part of something, like when I was in Law Enforcement after the Navy. Now I just spend my days after surgery, looking out the window, wishing I could do more. Only problem is the Govt loves for Vets to give back money that we deserve, and if one day you get worse off, it will be 10 times harder to get the SSDI back. I truly wish you the best my friend, and hope you figure out your life. Good luck and God Bless!!!

4 hours ago, Navy04 said:

only 36 been retired for 5 yrs now, so I know how you feel. I worked hard to get my 3 degrees

I know nothing about your interests, career, degrees, conditions, ratings for VA and SS (if any) but if your interested in considering an option that might make your future outlook better, then read on.

being rated 100% schedular or TD/IU and/or getting SS disability is NOT a bar to getting Voc Rehab, even if you have 3 degrees, or 3 advanced degrees, it does not matter. It is a little trickier but not as difficult as getting a straight answer on Ebenefits claim status. being home bound or AA cannot be a bar to earning money using your mind and an internet connection. There are at least 3 U.S. Congressmen/women who are 100% and missing limbs, use a chair and have PTSD or other MH problems. If they can, you can too!

So what you might consider depending on your interests and other factors is getting Voc Rehab to pay you to get yet another degree, but this time in Data Science or Business Intelligence. Even if all you have is Undergrad degrees, you could qualify (school wise) for an MS in either field. The only thing to be careful in choosing the program is what your focus of the future would be. 

Both fields are so new that even if you have Graduate Degrees you can get a MS in Data or BI focused on those fields and still meet all Voc Rehab requirements  for acceptance. For example there are new MS Law Enforcement in Intelligence degrees coming on line every month, I think even Harvard has one.

Both are high demand fields that can be worked as a contractor and done remotely if that is your desire. Contract work allows you to set your own hours and pick and choose your project and project length. Or you start your own consulting firm and gain customers that you want to work with.

Both involve data mining and transformation, and programming, starting in languages like Python.

If you have any interest towards programming and heavy mind work, data mining and BI could be a way to help you have stimulus and you could eventually use those skills to help other veterans. Even in online education there is a level of social stimulus too, though mostly virtual.

The one beauty of programming as a career field is it really blind to color and physical abilities. For people who have problems typing Dragon Naturally speaking has a coding module and there are ADA groups that cover the cost.

It is the one field, besides sex club bouncer, head-shop clerk, or circus sideshow act where having a full facial tattoo is not a barrier to employment.

If you have any bent toward this thing PM me and we can discuss this out of the forums. There is opportunity for veterans with physical and home-bound limitations to work, be part of a team, and if they want take that new found knowledge and skills and help other veterans.

Okay, new question. So suppose I am doing my job search thing, looking at jobs on Indeed, and I find one that I want to apply to. How does the 9 month SSDI trial thing work? Do I need to give SSA several weeks notice? If I get a sudden job offer that I want to accept, can I notify SSA the the day I start? Do I need to notify them beforehand? Can I notify them after I've started? How much coordination do I need to do with SSA beforehand? Will they need to contact my employers? That could be weird.