VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 Payments

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

Hello Folks. My kids are still awaiting for their 1st Chapter 35 payments to be processed. Because the new law drops the months of edibility from 48 to 36 months, how does the VA usually calculate the dates within a non full month the kids are in school? For example, the attendance for son submitted by the school was between August 29th to December 19th. Will he just be paid for 2 days in August AND that would count against him as an entire month?

Thanks,

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Probably yes, tho its been about 10 years since my son was in school under ch. 35, so it could have changed.  I think he would only get 2 days of august.  Generally VA is really chintzy that way.  As far as your son's 36 months, I dont know if 2 days would be pro rated or not for entitlement, you would have to call and ask them.  

6 hours ago, iraqx2 said:

Hello Folks. My kids are still awaiting for their 1st Chapter 35 payments to be processed. Because the new law drops the months of edibility from 48 to 36 months, how does the VA usually calculate the dates within a non full month the kids are in school? For example, the attendance for son submitted by the school was between August 29th to December 19th. Will he just be paid for 2 days in August AND that would count against him as an entire month?

Thanks,

yes, they will only count the 2 days, that will not count as a month against them............they should have taken a summer class as those who were already in Chapter 35 receipt will receive the full 48 months still.

The ratio of days going to school, is equal to the days used from Chapter 35. In other words, if they go to school for 2 days out of a week or month, they are "charged" two days from Ch. 35. I would also suggest looking into any state benefits for school for dependents. I know California has the California Fee Wavier. Good luck.