VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Time-locked security for continuous IU rating

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hello everyone! 

I’ve explained my situation a few times now, and nothing has changed. I’ll summarize it: Granted 100% IU for PTSD in 2008 and has been uninterrupted for more than 10 years. As I get older, I’m starting to think about retirement and such. It’s scary to think about because IU is my only income and I have no idea what protection I have. Plus, I can’t contribute to an IRA because I don’t have any “earned” income per say. 

I would love to try and work a part time or sheltered job so I can at least start contributing to a Roth IRA or something similar. But there’s always a fear of losing my benefits. I know some ratings are granted certain protections after various lengths of time (10, 15, 20 years, etc), but does anything apply with IU since it’s considered a “temporary” rating? My biggest fear is trying to work, making too much money, losing my benefits, then getting fired eventually due to my various problems. 

I also wondered about trying to get my rating changed to permanent. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I worry more and more everyday and also believe it’s stopping me from starting a family. Nothing worse than not being able to provide for your children. Thanks all, I love this forum and members alike. Ive received lots of help here and have given my fair share in return. Semper Fi! 

Working on TDIU can be done but you must be very careful, you could get your benefits stopped if a rater decided you are making too much or if they decided you can work.  It takes much longer to get TDIU than it can take to lose it.  It took ten years for me to get TDIU and I was out of work the entire time.  Gotta love the VA.

Getting your rating changed to permanent is tough too.  If you can get it changed to scheduler you can work though.  I don't understand VA logic.

Everything said it is your choice how to handle the situation.  I have lost the best earning years of my life but I am learning to live on a 100% rating.  That may not work for everyone.

1 hour ago, MarineLCpl said:

Hello everyone! 

I’ve explained my situation a few times now, and nothing has changed. I’ll summarize it: Granted 100% IU for PTSD in 2008 and has been uninterrupted for more than 10 years. As I get older, I’m starting to think about retirement and such. It’s scary to think about because IU is my only income and I have no idea what protection I have. Plus, I can’t contribute to an IRA because I don’t have any “earned” income per say. 

I would love to try and work a part time or sheltered job so I can at least start contributing to a Roth IRA or something similar. But there’s always a fear of losing my benefits. I know some ratings are granted certain protections after various lengths of time (10, 15, 20 years, etc), but does anything apply with IU since it’s considered a “temporary” rating? My biggest fear is trying to work, making too much money, losing my benefits, then getting fired eventually due to my various problems. 

I also wondered about trying to get my rating changed to permanent. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I worry more and more everyday and also believe it’s stopping me from starting a family. Nothing worse than not being able to provide for your children. Thanks all, I love this forum and members alike. Ive received lots of help here and have given my fair share in return. Semper Fi! 

If you are married and your spouse has earned income you can contribute to an IRA or Roth IRA,  we do it every year. 

"If you can get it changed to scheduler you can work though.  I don't understand VA logic."

Simple,

-100% scheduler, I have some medical issues that the VA comps me for that add up to 100% or more, and I can still work.

-TDIU, I do not have enough medical issues for the VA to comp me at 100%, so, since I am unable to work, please rate me as if I am totally disabled.

To get TDIU, you, the Veteran are saying, I am unable to work, because, I believe, the inverse would be be true, as in, if you were rated TDIU and wanted to work, I am sure the VA would work with you and take away your TDIU.

Look at it this way.  I am 80%, without anything bigger than one 30% disability.  Now, I can't apply for TDIU, nor do I want to because I am still working and can work.  Now, a Veteran, who has a 70% disability, but gets more money than me because he says he can not work, so the the VA pays him at 100% rate, but now wants to work.  Hmmm, how is that fair?  And, I'm not even talking about the other perks that come with 100%.

If you want to work, tell the VA you want to work.  They will fix it for you.  You will get your 70% and have a job, just like me and my 80% and a job.  You're getting the extra bucks because you told the VA you could not work, but you want to make more bucks because that was not enough.  If you give them back the extra bucks, then you can go make even more bucks.

Now the Veterans that are 100% scheduler, well they just have a bunch more wrong with them and they deserve what ever they get.  100% scheduler is not an easy task, nor should it be.

Sorry for the rant, but, I just get tired of this question coming up every month, "why can't I work on TDIU?", when its an opt in thing with the VA. 

The VA will help you with it if you would just let them.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually a TDIU  Veteran CAN'T  work if he is on a combine rating chart to reach the IU  Say his S.C. Conditions only warrants a 70%  80% or 90% combination rating  the 4..16 Gets this Veteran and his family the 100%pay scale for financial obligations because he is unable to find employment because of his S.C. Disability's.

OK if this same Veteran comes up with another S.C. Condition and files a claim and is awarded  S.C.60% or more on this separate &  Distink conditions  this not only makes this Veteran 100% scheduler as in a 100% final degree rating but he would also meet the SMC S G.B Criteria.  and possibly could work 

but normally a Veteran in this condition CAN'T work if he wanted to.

Hamslice, with all due respect, I cannot understand their logic.

I was at 80% and working until I lost my job due to service connected disability.  I was able to get TDIU and not able to work.  Later due to further disability the VA moved me to 100% scheduler and I am now allowed to work.  I still cannot work and I do not get the differentiation.