VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chemical exposure nexus

Rate this question

Al329

Question

Greetings,

Army 91-97. While in I used trichloroethylene bare handed in cleaning electronics...and contact with what basically amounts to antifreeze used in the liquid cooled transmitters.

Skin on hands has never been the same. Started while in service...little itchy bumps filled with clear liquid. Skin dry and cracks easily. Lotions and creams only make things worse.

This problem I have just dealt with for the last 20 years ...kinda feed up now. Just had another child and changing diapers is hard..not that I don't want to help out... its just all the extra hand washing only makes my skin worse.

So I guess my questions are:

How do I connect the exposure with service?  I don't think its in my old army medical records?

Over the years I have moved and seen docs... but I don't have any records detailing this...so how do I show its been on going for all these years?

How can I prove it was even the exposure that caused this?

On a side note.. I have an auto immune issue also...little voice in my head is blaming the exposure in the Army. I just don't know how I would connect that either?!?

Any help on how to start? Let the VA handle all the exams? Do it myself and submit a FDC ?

Thanks for any help!

Sorry for the basic post...just looking where to start.  FYI I am reading this board and learning as much as possible!

Edited by Al329
Sub correcting

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

To get service connection, you will require the following "Caluza" elements:

1. Event/injury in service (in your case, the event would be TCE handling and exposure)

2. Current diagnosis (if you don't have one, the VA will send you to a C&P exam)

3. Medical nexus connecting the above.

If you do not have all possible service and medical documentation in hand, you could start by filing an informal claim. That is where you let them know you want to file a claim for X, but don't have everything ready. They will give you one year to submit evidence. This will preserve the effective date of your claim.

If you have visited a doctor and have a medical diagnosis, consider asking them to examine your evidence, fill out a disability questionnaire, and possibly write a medical opinion. (Plenty of examples of an opinion/nexus here on Hadit). An FDC would suffice.

If you choose to have the VA handle everything, they will supposedly review your service records, perform an C&P exam to verify diagnosis and formulate an opinion as to whether it is service connected.

Regarding your autoimmune disease, there are a number of diseases which the VA can rate. More information about them can be found here: https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_88b.doc

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I have started the claim on Ebenifits ... so I have a year to gather. I am thinking of filing an FDC to keep things in my hands.

I am still in touch with a lot of old buddies.. so I'll see about some buddy letters.

My MOS was listed as in the VA Fast Letter as "Moderate" for noise exposure... so does that mean they will accept my hearing / tinnitus claim? Or should I get a IME from a private doctor?

Thanks,

Al

Edited by Al329

If you work and have private insurance, google your town for a Dermatologist, make a list and visit their office to find the one you want to start having appointments with. So when you get denied, this MD can write you an IME, and lawyer up.