VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability claim granted questions

Rate this question

Axilleas

Question

Hey everyone,

love the sense of community and support here, long time reader first time contributor...Anyway, just another OIF marine veteran from the mid 2000s here with a few questions. I initially filed a claim in 2010 - was awarded 80% in 2011/2012 and filed an appeal shortly thereafter for tdiu. I was awarded ssdi and have had continual treatment from the va for ptsd, tbi and lower back injury. I was denied initially, filed a nod and hired an attorney. Seven years later my claim seems to have been diversified, my appeal for an increase in rating has been sent to the board (vets.gov shows this as an “open” issue) and beneath that under “closed” issue my appeal for tdiu says GRANTED. When I called the va to ask for more info the rep confirmed a DRO had approved it August 18, 2018 and that it was awaiting final signatures for the paperwork and benefit to be dispersed. My question to you all is does this seem about right? That the DRO granted tdiu while a p&t appeal was pending board review? It’s been over two months since the DRO approved it, how much longer do you think it’ll take to conclude? I saw that awards over 100k need to be authorized by the central office, is this a likely cause in delay? What are some average times between DRO granted benefits and benefits received? Lastly, this has been seven long years and my heart dropped seeing this update, I know anything can get screwed up in the government but would I be foolish to think it’s incoming? My life following Iraq and the things we did to those people had been a nightmare burdened with grief and guilt. While I’m working towards a whole life, the stress of financial burden alleviated would be a great supplement to focus on my recovery without needless strains. I really want this to be true!! Thank you all for your help!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

If you gave VA your direct deposit info- it might be good idea to check your bank statement- from time to time.....

often retro checks come  or get deposited in banks, before the actual decision.

then again, we have no idea how long anything will take these days.

And by all means, if they send an audit with the retro go over it carefully to be sure it is right.

I recently had a C&P back exam and while going over my medical records the physician saw there were to incidents involving my back. One was during service in 1994 and the other was related to a car accident in 2011. When they took x-rays, degenerative arthritis was diagnosed. I was granted four claims that involved degenerative arthritis for my shoulders and both ankles back in 2010. My question is will VA likely deny my back due to the last incident was the car accident or will they rate it as degenerative joint disease with limited range of motion? 

We cant really speculate if its "true" or not, we can really only guess until you get the envelope.  What did your attorney say?  If he has given you the green light, he obviously knows much more about your case than we do.  

You should find out soon.  In the interim, I suggest you find/work on a hobby.  Visit your grandkids.  Figure out what you are going to do with the retro.  Play chess.  Carve wood.  Exercise.  Deepen your relationship with your wife.  Go to church.  Go fishing.  Your choice.  You get the idea.  "A watched pot never boils".  

My attorney is really not pulling his wait here. Aside from initially checking his citrix(spelling?) and telling me he saw a full grant, I can’t say he’s done much. I got him way back because I thought the va would take me more seriously and that if If it came down to a board review he’d be able to litigate and advocate much better for a full award. Anyway, I appreciate everyone help here! Like I said when I called the va hotline the rep told me a DRO approved it (tdiu) on aug 13, over two months ago. Not sure why a final signature or two needs more than two months, or is that a normal wait? Also, I was awarded 80% sometime in 2012. I appealed and was vetoed before I put the appeal in (was stated as an appeal in 2014) ...seeing as the Vet.gov site lists my tdiu as a closed issue with 100% granted for the 2014 claim, the backpay should theoretically go back to when I first disagreed right? They paid my 80% to the time I got out, what are the chances they’ll go back to the same time for this round of retro? Thank you all so much!!!