VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Calling Your Congressman Bad?

Rate this question

mountain_medic

Question

So my VSO had sent my increase claim through email 3 times to the VRO and they said they didn't have it. VSO said they sent it and to wait...120 days later I physically mailed it and called my congressman. My VSO said that was stupid and the VA being the 2nd largest govt institution doesn't like being told how to operate their business and it might have a negative impact. I also tried to get a letter stating when they emailed the claim from the VSO and they would not give me one. Anyway since involving my Congressman the VRO has the claim and I am currently going to CnP appointments. I was surprised by this reaction from my VSO and was wondering if there is any truth to it.  I've been stewing about his reaction for a couple of weeks so I figured I would ask before I get an ulcer. 😑

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess if things get bad enough to contact your congressman  and you ask for his help   remember to say  Hey Man I voted for you So help me like I helped you  :wink:

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Last year, I requested help from my Congressman's office. It was not for claims, but was for major problems trying to get outside treatment via the Choice program. Before their involvement, I waited in limbo six months. After their involvement, I waited about a week and received the treatment I needed.

I agree with Buck.  Any VA employee can see our entire medical and claim history, electronically, but we can not?  Not to mention . a VSO can see it and still not even bother to return our calls.  

Congressional meddling usually just adds time and frustration. It can halt your claim since information about it has to be located and sent to an outside entity. Usually the Congress person investigating it is just a lower level staffer, and when they get the form letter that says that va is working your claim, and every claim is different and takes time to work on, they close your investigation since they got a 'satisfactory' answer.

This was the Congressman's response.

You will be scheduled for a private examination soon and will be advised by letter in the mail. Please let me know if you do not receive notification of your exam soon. We will continue to keep your case open to follow up on our end after the exam has been completed.

I have had to get my congressman's office involved for other things, not a claim and they were somewhat helpful.  I have had better success with issues I have with the VA that aren't being taken care of in a timely manner, or things that the VA just tried to give me the run around about, ie . voc rehab, then I call the whitehouse hotline and start sending very informed emails with documentation attached to back up my issue and holy crap, those people who have been ignoring my non va authorization for mental health seem to find me a new provider after bugging them for months.  They can't really deny that they haven't taken care of their part when it is all documented in secure messaging, etc. Voc. Rehab was giving me crap about my ILP, telling me I had to volunteer or I couldn't receive anything else which is total bs...........anyway the whitehouse hotline and emails have given me much better and faster results than my congressman's office.