VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Approved SC for MDD how much will i get paid and is there backpay and whats the pay date?

Rate this topic

USArmyVetGeorge

Hey guys I'm new here and i had some questions, I hope one of you would be able to put my mind at ease. So basically i finally got approved for SC for Major Depressive Disorder, when i was in service i was diagnosed with depression but the va said they changed my depression to BPD,(Which im not even sure i even have my symptoms scream C-PTSD) But  when i came home from Korea i went to the va to see a doctor asap. 

I was red flagged in Korea suicide attempts and thoughts daily and i couldn't even perform my duties at the motor pool and was moved to Supply at HQ I even had to have someone with me 24/7, When i came home a receptionist at the VA said i couldn't see a doctor cause my paperwork said depression not specified and the mainthing was BPD and they denied me seeing a doctor.(Still confused at that cause i was honorable discharged)

Anyway i filed a claim for Depression and Anxiety within my year  of seperation but was still denied seeing a doctor so i went into another suicide attempt almost did it and was sent to a Non VA Hospital and escaped the ER when a lady from VA said she couldn't send me to the VA ER and said they would instead send me to a Psych Ward not part of the VA.

Police found me and transported me after i ran into a snow riddled wasteland with nothing but a hospital gown on cause i was pissed off i wouldnt be speaking to a VA doctor after gettting to said psych ward,

i told them i would not be signing anything to keep me there and that i only wanted to speak to a doctor so i could get out of there i told the doctor my problem and how i ended up there and they agreed that the VA should be seeing me, after fighting to get my discharge papers telling the doctor to put Depression down(No sign of BPD from the doctor either) i left there and was still denied entry to the VA. (This lady obviously didn't like me)

After fighting i finally got SC(But not for my depression for my wrist) and could see a doctor but they denied my claim for Depression saying theres was nothing connecting my service diagnosis and after service. That's when the paperwork that i had my true evidence got misplaced by my father by accident, he filed it away with my moms things and lost track of where he put it leading the VA to believe that i was making my condition up and they focused entirely on a Personailty disorder that i knew had nothing to do with me. My Social worker put BPD but never put MDD my Mental health doctor put MDD in 2014 the year i was denied and they still denied me when i filed again it wasn't until this year my dad found the paperwork from Non VA Hospital and a old letter from my social worker stating a doctor was seeing me for MDD all the way back to 2014 again after countless denials from 2015 to 2016 to 2018  when all they had to do was look well when i got my approval letter from the BVA it said that since treatment records existed during the denials that they would automatically bypass those final decisions and approve me i also explained to the judge that since i was denied so much it made my condition even worse i already couldn't work before and i was homeless constantly since i got home from service and i couldn't even keep a job for longer than 2 months without losing my mind from the depression and constant flares and stress from not being able to properly take care of myself. and also caused me a ton of bills and destroyed my credit score my bills from the hospital stays the loss of my car the countless speeding tickets cause now my emotional stress blanks me out and i end up just cruising and staring blankly ahead without paying attention to my speed my question since they are going back that far is it the day they denied me or the day i got out of service? I'm sorry if this is so long and im all over the place im currently waiting on the money and the place im staying at has just been given a eviction notice and my gf's kids need food and just so much is affecting me right not at the moment any thoughts anyone.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short answer is we dont know how much or how much retro, but you can answer that yourself when you get the official decison from the VA.  

Your disability percentage can range from 0 percent, to 100 percent, depending upon your symptoms.  If your doctor says your mental health issues prevent you from any type of employment, you should be at/near 100 percent or at least 70 percent.  The criteria for 100 percent for mental health is "total occupational and social impairment".  Thus, if you are working full time, its hard for VA to say your are "totally occupationally impaired".  

It sounds like you got your information from ebenefits, which, unfortunately is unreliable.  Here are the charts on how much you will receive, depending upon the rating VA gives you.

The compensation varies with disability percentage and your number of dependents.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp

As far as the "retro" goes, your effective date should be the later of the "date you applied" or the date the doc says you were disabled.  EXCEPTION:  If you applied within a year of exit from service, then your retro (effective date) should be the day after you got out of the service.  

Example only:  If you are single, and no dependents, and not working and rated at 100 percent, then your compensation would be $2973 per month.  So, if your effective date was 20 months ago ( and I have no idea when your effective date would be), then you should get retro of almost 60,000.00.   You wont get the full 2973 for all months, last year it was a bit less because of cola, as was the year before that.  You get the idea.  

6 hours ago, USArmyVetGeorge said:

Hey guys I'm new here and i had some questions, I hope one of you would be able to put my mind at ease. So basically i finally got approved for SC for Major Depressive Disorder, when i was in service i was diagnosed with depression but the va said they changed my depression to BPD,(Which im not even sure i even have my symptoms scream C-PTSD) But  when i came home from Korea i went to the va to see a doctor asap. 

I was red flagged in Korea suicide attempts and thoughts daily and i couldn't even perform my duties at the motor pool and was moved to Supply at HQ I even had to have someone with me 24/7, When i came home a receptionist at the VA said i couldn't see a doctor cause my paperwork said depression not specified and the mainthing was BPD and they denied me seeing a doctor.(Still confused at that cause i was honorable discharged)

Anyway i filed a claim for Depression and Anxiety within my year  of seperation but was still denied seeing a doctor so i went into another suicide attempt almost did it and was sent to a Non VA Hospital and escaped the ER when a lady from VA said she couldn't send me to the VA ER and said they would instead send me to a Psych Ward not part of the VA.

Police found me and transported me after i ran into a snow riddled wasteland with nothing but a hospital gown on cause i was pissed off i wouldnt be speaking to a VA doctor after gettting to said psych ward,

i told them i would not be signing anything to keep me there and that i only wanted to speak to a doctor so i could get out of there i told the doctor my problem and how i ended up there and they agreed that the VA should be seeing me, after fighting to get my discharge papers telling the doctor to put Depression down(No sign of BPD from the doctor either) i left there and was still denied entry to the VA. (This lady obviously didn't like me)

After fighting i finally got SC(But not for my depression for my wrist) and could see a doctor but they denied my claim for Depression saying theres was nothing connecting my service diagnosis and after service. That's when the paperwork that i had my true evidence got misplaced by my father by accident, he filed it away with my moms things and lost track of where he put it leading the VA to believe that i was making my condition up and they focused entirely on a Personailty disorder that i knew had nothing to do with me. My Social worker put BPD but never put MDD my Mental health doctor put MDD in 2014 the year i was denied and they still denied me when i filed again it wasn't until this year my dad found the paperwork from Non VA Hospital and a old letter from my social worker stating a doctor was seeing me for MDD all the way back to 2014 again after countless denials from 2015 to 2016 to 2018  when all they had to do was look well when i got my approval letter from the BVA it said that since treatment records existed during the denials that they would automatically bypass those final decisions and approve me i also explained to the judge that since i was denied so much it made my condition even worse i already couldn't work before and i was homeless constantly since i got home from service and i couldn't even keep a job for longer than 2 months without losing my mind from the depression and constant flares and stress from not being able to properly take care of myself. and also caused me a ton of bills and destroyed my credit score my bills from the hospital stays the loss of my car the countless speeding tickets cause now my emotional stress blanks me out and i end up just cruising and staring blankly ahead without paying attention to my speed my question since they are going back that far is it the day they denied me or the day i got out of service? I'm sorry if this is so long and im all over the place im currently waiting on the money and the place im staying at has just been given a eviction notice and my gf's kids need food and just so much is affecting me right not at the moment any thoughts anyone.

I am assuming BPD is bipolar disorder?   That is not considered a personality disorder and can absolutely be service connected, so if that is what you think the denial is for?  I am quite confused honestly.  It doesn't matter if you have depression, ptsd, or bipolar disorder, if you were seen for similar mental health issues while on active duty, then I don't understand why this is an issue?   I was only seen twice and never admitted during service and I am service connected for bipolar disorder as well as other mental health diagnoses but they only list the first thing they rated me for in my award letter like 70% bipolar disorder (panic disorder with agoraphobia, anxiety, ptsd).   It lists like every damn thing the va  ever listed as a diagnosis, not kidding, nightmares, sleeping issues, etc. 

• 1 month later...

I just put paperwork in for depression, anxiety, bipolar 1 and affective acquired psychiatric disorder (I dont' know what that is). The last 8 months I was in the Army the wheels came off my trailer (I kinda lost it). I went into alcohol rehab. Got out of rehab and drank anyway. Got in deep trouble for that because I didn't go to PT physical training one day and they came got me I was wicked drunk. I escaped my captors and ran off post. Just a bunch of crap.

Anyway, I ended up with 2 Article 15's (Captains Mass for others). I was hospitalized for depression and suicidal ideations a couple of times. They ended up chaptering me out "Patterns of Misconduct". Barely got an Honorable. I had to go before a board to get the honorable.

I'm wondering the same thing that USArmyVetGeorge is.

USArmyVetGeorge, let me know what happens please. I am in the early stages of my claim

Sorry to ride your post man.

Thanks guys. 

US Armyvet George said: "when i got my approval letter from the BVA it said that since treatment records existed during the denials that they would automatically bypass those final decisions and approve me i also explained to the judge that since i was denied so much it made my condition even worse i already couldn't work before and i was homeless constantly"   

( 38 CFR 156 in action folks- and proof that VA skims over our STRs- if they even get them)

Did you ask the VARO or the BVA for expidited treatment as to the retro due to your situation?

By all means makes sure the VA has yout  current address and also I hope you have direct deposit and they had that account number.

How long has it been since the award letter came from BVA?

The White House Hot line might be able to help:

1-855-948-2311

MANY have BVA awards and no retro yet at all.

BVA is working faster than the ROs these days-

Johnnie Rain said "Anyway, I ended up with 2 Article 15's (Captains Mass for others). I was hospitalized for depression and suicidal ideations a couple of times. They ended up chaptering me out "Patterns of Misconduct". Barely got an Honorable. I had to go before a board to get the honorable."

Good that you got that ,from I assume the BCMR?

A friend of mine got almost 1/4 million after I helped him with his claim.

His Captains Mass was the first manifestation of Bi polar- went from no SC to 100% P & T SC for Bipolar at the BVA. He had SSDI solely for the Bipolar-

The problem with the claim for over 8-9 years-is that no one, no vet rep or VSO ever really went over his SMRs and he himself kept forgetting what I asked him to do- to get copies of his NAV201 file and the Captains Mass info.

VA never did either. However , he was declared incompetent by VA, and fortunately his wife had taken him back-

and they (VA) made  her the Payee-

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use